Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2009, 03:45 PM

2,224 posts, read 3,614,946 times

Advertisements

Bottom line Eli isnt worth more than Peyton, Brady, Roethlisberger, Rivers or Brees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 06:28 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,875,332 times
Firstly, please don't make a case for the Giants playing David Carr over Eli Manning. If that is the contention, you lose any credibility instantly.

Here is the bottom line. The Giants franchise is a goldmine. Eli is a good quarterback who shows flashes of brilliance, along with some frustrating decisions. Just about every QB in the league makes mistakes, some of them as a result of their recievers running the wrong route or lack of protection.
If you are a Giant fan and watch all of their games, you would know that Eli has suffered from his recievers running bad routes. He is still a young kid and will only improve, if he stays healthy.

Today, Phillip Rivers signed a huge contract as well. Does he deserve the money? I don't think so. He has had one good season and his team did not win squat.

Eli has a Super Bowl ring, does McNabb, Rivers, Romo, Warner, Cutler etc...?

Last point is that, yes, the Giant defense is good, but not considered the best in the league. If anyone remembers the Giant teams for the 80's and early 90's, they had a tremendous defense. Sims, considered by many to be a great QB, was coached to not lose the game. Just throw it away and let your D get you the ball back.

Time will tell what Eli will become. Is he worth the money? It is not my money, so I don't give a shi*! More power to him. BTW, I bet he got calls from Brady and Peyton thanking him for setting the bar.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:43 PM

874 posts, read 2,876,190 times
He definitely is not worth the money. I live in NY and am not really a Giants fan but I do watch every game since I watch any football game that I can. The year he won the Super Bowl I thought it was a fluke and I still do. I remember watching many games earlier that year where he was the main reason they lost.

He is definitely prone to defensive pressure and folds easy. Paying him that amount of money is insane. If it were my team I would have let him go and picked up someone better. I am among those who believe that the Giants will live to regret this and being that I live in NY I will be hearing many Giants fans calling WFAN complaining about how this was a major mistake in the not too distant future. The funny thing is that the people that will call saying this are the same people that are idolizing him right now.

Old 08-26-2009, 06:37 AM

2,224 posts, read 3,614,946 times
Winning 1 superbowl doesnt make you a great QB, I'm sorry it just doesnt. I agree with Egobop that Eli is overpaid. Hell Trent DIlfer won a superbowl and so did Brad Johnson. Are they great??

Old 08-26-2009, 07:07 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,790,307 times
I don't think any athlete is worth $97M, but that aside, Eli seems to be a fit for the Giants. I'm a Giants fan so I'm accustomed to the Giants holding on to QB's that aren't making the cut. Remember Dave Brown? The Giants have never had a great QB, they've always relied on defense, and recently they've placed more emphasis on the running game as well. I'm not a big fan of Eli, but who else is going to give up any of the greats in the game...Brady, Peyton Manning, Brees etc? There are several other QB's in the league who are overrated and yet are/were getting paid big money...McNabb, Vick, Culpepper, Romo, Palmer, Hasselback and a few others. I'd love to have a Brady or Peyton or Brees, but it won't happen, because those QB's are going to demand big money receivers as well. The Giants franchise is notoriously cheap. With Eli you need a strong running game to split the defense and the best offensive line money can buy.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
I don't think any athlete is worth $97M, but that aside, Eli seems to be a fit for the Giants. I'm a Giants fan so I'm accustomed to the Giants holding on to QB's that aren't making the cut. Remember Dave Brown? The Giants have never had a great QB, they've always relied on defense, and recently they've placed more emphasis on the running game as well. I'm not a big fan of Eli, but who else is going to give up any of the greats in the game...Brady, Peyton Manning, Brees etc? There are several other QB's in the league who are overrated and yet are/were getting paid big money...McNabb, Vick, Culpepper, Romo, Palmer, Hasselback and a few others. I'd love to have a Brady or Peyton or Brees, but it won't happen, because those QB's are going to demand big money receivers as well. The Giants franchise is notoriously cheap. With Eli you need a strong running game to split the defense and the best offensive line money can buy.
My point is that you can get a quarterback as good or better than him for a lot less money. You do not need the big names you mentioned. You said that they do not need a great quarterback which may be true but there is no need to pay a middle of the line quarterback the superstar salary. If they picked up a mediocre quarterback with a different last name and paid him less money they would have more cap room for building up the defense even more in the future.

At this time my belief is that they are paying him for the "Manning" name. His brother is a great quarterback and even though he is not as good they are hoping that the Giants fans will keep buying the tickets hoping that he will soon turn into his brother. If they picked up someone with an unknown name who is mediocre such as he is right now the Giants fans would be up in arms.

I hear Giant fans compare Eli to his brother all of the time stating how Peyton took a few years to become as good as he is now. They are waiting for this to happen with Eli. It is my belief that he has already passed that point and is still mediocre. I can be wrong but I do not think so. I watch him make the same mistakes now as he made when he first started.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post

Here is the bottom line. The Giants franchise is a goldmine. Eli is a good quarterback who shows flashes of brilliance, along with some frustrating decisions. Just about every QB in the league makes mistakes, some of them as a result of their recievers running the wrong route or lack of protection.
If you are a Giant fan and watch all of their games, you would know that Eli has suffered from his recievers running bad routes. He is still a young kid and will only improve, if he stays healthy.
Hey! I thought Favre had the copyright on that excuse. Remove the word "young" and replace it with old and then you are talking about the second most overrated quarterback in the game today. Well, then again I would take Eli over Favre at this point so I guess that makes Eli the second most overrated quarterback in the game today.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:53 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,790,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egobop View Post
My point is that you can get a quarterback as good or better than him for a lot less money. You do not need the big names you mentioned. You said that they do not need a great quarterback which may be true but there is no need to pay a middle of the line quarterback the superstar salary. If they picked up a mediocre quarterback with a different last name and paid him less money they would have more cap room for building up the defense even more in the future.

At this time my belief is that they are paying him for the "Manning" name. His brother is a great quarterback and even though he is not as good they are hoping that the Giants fans will keep buying the tickets hoping that he will soon turn into his brother. If they picked up someone with an unknown name who is mediocre such as he is right now the Giants fans would be up in arms.

I hear Giant fans compare Eli to his brother all of the time stating how Peyton took a few years to become as good as he is now. They are waiting for this to happen with Eli. It is my belief that he has already passed that point and is still mediocre. I can be wrong but I do not think so. I watch him make the same mistakes now as he made when he first started.

No disagreements there. I do believe they are cashing in on the Manning name. Like I said, they've been known to stick with mediocre QB's in the past, and you can get a QB just as mediocre as Eli for half the money or less. But again, it's his name that is what they are investing in, and perhaps they are overly optimistic that he will reach the greatness of his brother, which IMO will never happen.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:53 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,875,332 times
I certainly don't think that he is an elite QB, but calling him the most (2nd) overated QB is a joke.
The other point was that I don't care what they paid him. It is not my money.

Old 08-26-2009, 05:27 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,042,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post

What about Phil Simms??????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football