Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2022, 07:24 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,655,348 times

Advertisements

Giants announce Brian Doball as new HC.

Judge had to go. I had been on his side up until the "Surrender Formation" plays against Washington in the last week in the season. I dont care how bad things get, you NEVER give up like that.

"I wanted to get better position for a punt," was basically how he explained that. I do not want you as much coach if that is what you are going to do--regardless of circumstances and regardless of sport or level.

I would not want a coach in Little League to have that mentality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2022, 08:52 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,615,008 times
Happy for Daboll and your Giants IXCell.

I like this move for the Giants. I'll be rooting for Daboll and the Giants going forward. Bills fans owe a lot to him for what he was able to do with Allen and the offense these last few years. Yes, Allen is a generational talent and likely would have developed to a franchise level QB eventually regardless of coach and staff. But still Daboll was a big part of his development and the Bills offense these last two years were one of the best in team history.

I love that the Giants are taking a page out of the Bills 2017 playbook too. That off-season the Bills hired first a coach from Carolina in McDermott and then a GM from Carolina in Brandon Beane. Ownership and those two did things the right way over the last 5 years. I'm hopeful Joe Schoen, Brian Daboll and the Giants ownership can follow the Bills model in how to build a consistent contender.

As for Daniel Jones, he may be the guy for this year but no guarantee he will be the guy beyond this year. In the 2017 draft the Bills passed on drafting a QB and opted to see what the new staff could get out of the veteran Tyrod Taylor. It was a bumpy year for Taylor. He was even benched mid season for the god awful Nathan Peterman. Still somehow the Bills managed to fall ass backward into a wild card spot that year. The offense under Taylor scored 3 points in their loss to the Jaguars. It was clear that entering the 2018 draft the Bills would be selecting a QB early. The Giants could follow a similar plan with Jones.

If the Giants do not take a QB in this years draft they should strongly consider trading back and picking up an extra 1st round pick in the 2023 draft. That is what the Bills did in the 2017 draft and it gave them the ammunition to trade up in 2018 to draft Josh Allen.

Old 02-09-2022, 08:12 PM

I think that Daboll did wonders with Allen. Granted, Allen deserves a lot of credit, too, but remember how the draft pundits were killing Allen's rawness and lack of accuracy. I love the revisionist history from lots of football fans that are like "XX team would have drafted Allen."

No. Unless you were drafting late in the first, many GMs were not high on Allen...especially considering the other QBs in the class.

I think Daboll gets a lot of credit for unlocking Allen, and I hope you can do something similar to Jones (Obviously, Jones isnt the talent Allen is).

I am looking forward to next season even though the Giants probably wont be very good as Daboll and Schone turn over the roster and get their plans in place.

I am much more optimistic going forward right now.

Old 04-06-2022, 05:44 AM

The Giants are picking #5 and #7 and now I am seeing that they might not want to make both of those picks in the top ten. Unless you get something that bowls you over, or gives you what you think can be a high first rounder next year, why not attempt to pick up two studs?

Hindsight is 20/20, but we know the Giants missed out on two studs (Parsons, Slater) by trading down last draft to get this additional number one.

Old 04-08-2022, 08:46 AM

2,208 posts, read 2,152,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
The Giants are picking #5 and #7 and now I am seeing that they might not want to make both of those picks in the top ten. Unless you get something that bowls you over, or gives you what you think can be a high first rounder next year, why not attempt to pick up two studs?

Hindsight is 20/20, but we know the Giants missed out on two studs (Parsons, Slater) by trading down last draft to get this additional number one.
Salary cap math is difficult to understand sometimes, but from what I have read the Giants may not be able to pay a 5 and a 7 this year. Even trading Bradberry is not enough, and I am not sure we can trade him without eating a little of the contract. From what I understand, the only way to draft a 5 and a 7 is to both trade or cut Bradberry and extend Williams (or combine with an extension of Barkley or Jones to reduce the 2022 cap hit). The last two are probably not going to happen. I suspect they want those deals to die and if they perform this year let them either resign or pay them the franchise tag. Its not just coming in under the cap after signing the picks, its that they need to have at least 4 million (some say 5 million) going into the season in case of injuries or other need during the season. They are just in a terrible spot on the cap. But it gets much better next year. I suspect they take whatever of the big three tackles are there are 5 and trade 7 to a team wanting a QB. Buts lets see what happens.

Old 04-20-2022, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
Salary cap math is difficult to understand sometimes, but from what I have read the Giants may not be able to pay a 5 and a 7 this year. Even trading Bradberry is not enough, and I am not sure we can trade him without eating a little of the contract. From what I understand, the only way to draft a 5 and a 7 is to both trade or cut Bradberry and extend Williams (or combine with an extension of Barkley or Jones to reduce the 2022 cap hit). The last two are probably not going to happen. I suspect they want those deals to die and if they perform this year let them either resign or pay them the franchise tag. Its not just coming in under the cap after signing the picks, its that they need to have at least 4 million (some say 5 million) going into the season in case of injuries or other need during the season. They are just in a terrible spot on the cap. But it gets much better next year. I suspect they take whatever of the big three tackles are there are 5 and trade 7 to a team wanting a QB. Buts lets see what happens.
I was seeing something along those lines as well. Isn't funny that Gettleman was getting credit for netting the Giants these two high draft picks, but he ended up hamstringing them so they possibly can't make both picks?

Hilarious.

Old 05-02-2022, 09:51 PM

Good to know that the Giants did NOT mess up the two picks at #5 and #7!

Old 07-31-2022, 11:55 AM

3,952 posts, read 2,345,154 times
https://www.bigblueview.com/2022/7/3...kadarius-toney

Darnay Holmes — Three interceptions of Daniel Jones in the first three practices. It is clear that Holmes is understanding what he is seeing from the offense, and anticipating where Jones is going with the ball. Holmes also forced a Saquon Barkley fumble on Saturday.

The thing I gleaned from this article this early in practice is that Jones is in his make or break season as a starting qb. He's had plenty of chances.

Old 08-01-2022, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
https://www.bigblueview.com/2022/7/3...kadarius-toney

Darnay Holmes — Three interceptions of Daniel Jones in the first three practices. It is clear that Holmes is understanding what he is seeing from the offense, and anticipating where Jones is going with the ball. Holmes also forced a Saquon Barkley fumble on Saturday.

The thing I gleaned from this article this early in practice is that Jones is in his make or break season as a starting qb. He's had plenty of chances.
Oh, that is definitely true. In the spring, they were telling him to let it rip--dont worry about throwing picks. Play free. Which is believed to be the opposite of the edict coming from Judge/Garrett the last couple of seasons.

I mean, if you are going to go down, you might as well go down swinging!

Old 08-01-2022, 05:10 AM

2,208 posts, read 2,152,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
Oh, that is definitely true. In the spring, they were telling him to let it rip--dont worry about throwing picks. Play free. Which is believed to be the opposite of the edict coming from Judge/Garrett the last couple of seasons.

I mean, if you are going to go down, you might as well go down swinging!
I have never been a fan of Jones, but have to agree. If you are going to get dropped, don't try to keep the job by playing safe and make low risk throws. That is going to get you dropped anyway.

For me, I think its already determined that Jones is out. I would love for him to show me I am wrong, but I have never seen it in him. I think there were no picks for a QB this year worthy of the 5 or 7, but next year, the QBs are deep. Stroud and Young have the inside spots for the top QB, but there are a bunch of good ones potentially in the draft. Sadly, I see another top 8 pick for the Giants. But maybe that is the last one for awhile. Big money off the books next year too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football