Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 12:49 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,870,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriansPerspective View Post
They are not required to inform the client, but it's good business to do so.
Brian, do you know of any Realtors that inform buyers of the radon threat in the Granite Dells area?

In regards to my other 2 questions. Is there anyone here
on the forum that lives in the Granite Dells area or the Groom Creek area of Prescott. If so, have you tested for Radon?

How about other areas in Prescott, have you tested for Radon Gas in your home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 01:04 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,835,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DellNec View Post
radon gas aggravates asthma sufferers.
I'm calling BS on that one. Got a credible reference to prove me wrong?

By credible, I mean one that isn't using scare tactics to sell you something. A medical study or a government website, please.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
I'm calling BS on that one. Got a credible reference to prove me wrong?

By credible, I mean one that isn't using scare tactics to sell you something. A medical study or a government website, please.
Sure, how about the US Department of Health:

HHS - Office of the Surgeon General, Surgeon General Releases National Health Advisory On Radon

How about the National Enviromental Health Association:

NEHA - Radon/IAQ

Old 08-22-2011, 03:30 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,835,413 times
Quote:
Sure, how about the US Department of Health:

HHS - Office of the Surgeon General, Surgeon General Releases National Health Advisory On Radon

How about the National Enviromental Health Association:

NEHA - Radon/IAQ
Wrong. Neither link says anything about radon gas aggravating asthma. If you disagree, cut/paste the exact text to which you refer so we can see.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:39 PM

1,929 posts, read 5,920,274 times
Thanks for the links. Unfortunately, the Arizona map is not exactly that informative:

Orange = Zone 2 counties have a predicted average indoor radon screening level between 2 and 4 pCi/L (orange zones), "Moderate Potential"

Old 08-22-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Brian, do you know of any Realtors that inform buyers of the radon threat in the Granite Dells area?
I don't have the foggiest idea who informs their buyers about radon in the granite dells. If we had a buyer looking in an area with mountains of granite, we would broach the topic. Nevertheless, I personally do not think it's that big of an issue. As long as your house and crawl space aren't sealed tight and you get some air circulation in the house, there's not an issue. If you own a house in the granite dells and you have a sealed basement, then you might need to be concerned. Look at what the report says about the 'highest level of radon ever measured indoors': "...venting the subfloor space to the outside with a 1.25inch pipe reduced indoor-radon levels to
less than 5 pCi/l."

If someone is concerned, they should have their home tested.

Old 08-22-2011, 04:34 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,163,587 times
Quote:
Thanks for the links. Unfortunately, the Arizona map is not exactly that informative:

Orange = Zone 2 counties have a predicted average indoor radon screening level between 2 and 4 pCi/L (orange zones), "Moderate Potential"
Yes, I understand. My point was that as far as the EPA is concerned, the entire state of AZ is considered to be at moderate risk, as opposed to other areas of the country.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:
I don't have the foggiest idea who informs their buyers about radon in the granite dells.

..... I personally do not think it's that big of an issue.
This is not directed at YOU, per se, but that does not make sense to me. Realtors spend hundreds of hours researching the local market and search the MLS for countless hours in order to make a sale to a potential buyer. Yet, when it comes to researching the area and the possible health hazards in the area they are selling RE, they will not spend 5 minutes researching the issues. That is why they have such a bad reputation and people throw them in the same sales category as used car salesmen.

As far as it, not being an issue, that is easy to say when you and your family are not being subjected to a carcinogen that is the #1 cause of lung cancer in non-smokers.

This goes back to what one top Realtor told me, in order to be a profitable RE Agent you never, ever, say anything negative about a property.

How difficult would it be for the Realtors in Prescott that when showing property in and near Granite Dells and Groom Creek, the potential buyer should be notified of the AZGS report stating that over 60% of the homes in that area have high radon level that are higher than allowed by the EPA. A simple disclosure. Yet, that will NOT happen and we all know why.

Last edited by DellNec; 08-22-2011 at 09:38 PM..

Old 08-22-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
Yes, I understand. My point was that as far as the EPA is concerned, the entire state of AZ is considered to be at moderate risk, as opposed to other areas of the country.
Overall, yes, that is true but AZ has "hot spot" areas (as described in the AZGS report). One of those hot spots in Granite Dells and Groom Creek, those areas that have high amounts of uranium.

While AZ may not be as bad as Pennsylvania, living in the Granite Dells poses a health risk if one does not test for radon and seek the proper steps to remove the radon from the home.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:06 PM

Quote:
This is not directed at YOU, per se, but that does not make sense to me. Realtors spend hundreds of hours researching the local market and search the MLS for countless hours in order to make a sale to a potential buyer. Yet, when it comes to researching the area and the possible health hazards in the area they are selling RE, they will not spend 5 minutes researching the issues. That is why they have such a bad reputation and people throw them in the same sales category as used car salesmen.
A realor's job is not to discover every possible reason why a buyer might not want to buy a property. If a buyer expresses a concern about something, such as radon, then the realtor (and the buyer) should do some investigating.

Quote:
As far as it, not being an issue, that is easy to say when you and your family are not being subjected to a carcinogen that is the #1 cause of lung cancer in non-smokers.
I happen to like the granite dells and would be happy to live there. I would just make sure that our house had some ventilation.

Quote:
This goes back to what one top Realtor told me, in order to be a profitable RE Agent you never, ever, say anything negative about a property.
That is 100% grade-A BS. We happen to be very profitable and we say all kinds of negative things about properties. Our job is to give our buyers some grounding. Buyers can be very excited to the point of overlooking things. Sometimes they need a knowledgable third party to point out things that the buyers might overloook in their excitement.

Quote:
How difficult would it be for the Realtors in Prescott that when showing property in and near Granite Dells and Groom Creek, the potential buyer should be notified of the AZGS report stating that over 60% of the homes in that area have high radon level that are higher than allowed by the EPA. A simple disclosure. Yet, that will NOT happen and we all know why.
It would not be difficult, but the fact of the matter is that some people don't care. When buyers express concern over something, then a realtor should discuss that concern. The realtor does not need to point out every random perceived negative about a property and an area. Take your harping on level one trauma centers. Most people could care less. I'm not going to bother every buyer with the fact that Prescott does not have a level one trauma center. If they ask, I will gladly tell them. I'm not hiding anything, I'm simply tailoring my discussions to buyers' interests. I had one buyer who was concerned about high voltage power lines. I went to the county GIS and had them print a special map for me that shows the high-voltage power lines so that we could avoid those areas. I'm not going to tell every future buyer that a certain house is near a high voltage power line, because most people don't care about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott