Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 09:09 PM

2 posts, read 7,023 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My family is considering relocating to Prescott, we already own a home in Prescott and didn't intend to move for a few years, but with the economy so bad we thought we would move our small business into Prescott and begin anew.

My question is we have a 15 year old, 10th grader. Neat kid, plays golf and baseball. Does someone have an opinion on the local high school? Any drug problems? Gangs? What is the general attitude of the local kids - easy going or does everyone have to look and act a certain way to be accepted?

Any comments on the local churches? Is there a Christian high school?

Thanks,

Tustin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 08:57 AM

2,203 posts, read 9,319,539 times
Hi Tustin - I mostly hear good things about Prescott High School. I do know that it's one of the higher ranked schools in AZ. Since Prescott High is smaller than the big city schools, I think there's more emphasis on sports here, and the community really gets involved in supporting the kids. I've got a friend who's son is a very good baseball player, and I know there is a LOT of interest and support for baseball here.

As far as drugs go, there was an incident involving drugs at a charter high school in Prescott Valley, but I don't think I've heard of anything in Prescott. (Although, you know there will be a few "bad apples" in any school.) You might want to check out School Report Cards online. That will give you test scores and incidences of violence, etc for individual schools across the country.

A good friend of mine who's son was in Prescott High when they moved had really loved PHS. He was just a really nice ordinary kid, so I got the impression that PHS wasn't overly clique-ish.

Hopefully somebody with kids attending PHS presently can give you more insight. As far as a Christian High School - I know there's one that goes through Jr High but I don't think it goes all the way through high school (I might be wrong on that, though.)

Hope your move goes smoothly, if you decide to do it.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:17 AM

1,929 posts, read 5,915,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tustin View Post
My family is considering relocating to Prescott, we already own a home in Prescott and didn't intend to move for a few years, but with the economy so bad we thought we would move our small business into Prescott and begin anew.
What's your business? It's refreshing to know that people are considering opening a new business here.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:28 PM

2 posts, read 7,023 times
My husband and I owned a electronic power supply repair depot. I suppose you are now asking yourself - what is a power supply!? What we repair usually goes in original manufacturer equipment - our largest customers are in the medical industry. Ultra sound equipment - mostly - our largest customers are in North Carolina and Boston, Mass.

We currently employee four technicians, one outside salesperson, a shipping and receiving clerk, I handle the accounting and my husband is the "everything else."

Our business is suffering- we would need to hire one technician and one rework tech until we are back up to speed. Our outside salesperson would continue working from his home.

Question - does UPS, Fed EX, Bax Global have delivery hubs in the Prescott area? Where would you suggest I start searching for employees? We would like the technicians to have electronic engineering technology knowledge.

Thanks for your reply!

Tustin

Old 02-14-2009, 10:32 PM

1,929 posts, read 5,915,195 times
UPS and FedEx have hubs in Prescott Valley. I'm not sure about Prescott. I have never heard of Bax Global. There's no need to worry about advertising for employees. Just put one ad in the Sunday Daily Courier and you'll have about 20 applicants. You can also try BetterPrescottJobs.com.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:32 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,017,257 times
Good luck to you! Sounds like you have a good plan.

I have to ask about your name "Tustin". I was born and raised in Tustin, CA way back when it was a teeny tiny town and the area was all orange groves and sugar beet fields (1946)...moved to this area (Prescott/Chino Valley) 23 years ago. Is your name just your name or are you from my old home town?

Old 02-17-2009, 10:32 PM

1 posts, read 3,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tustin View Post
Hello!

My question is we have a 15 year old, 10th grader. Neat kid, plays golf and baseball. Does someone have an opinion on the local high school? Any drug problems? Gangs? What is the general attitude of the local kids - easy going or does everyone have to look and act a certain way to be accepted?

Any comments on the local churches? Is there a Christian high school?

Thanks,

Tustin

yeh your move will not affect your children future

Old 02-21-2009, 07:26 PM

201 posts, read 611,359 times
Well Tustin you titled your post "Prescott High School", you're concerned for your fifteen year old. True Prescott H.S. does well on a state level but I strongly suggest you look at this state on a national level. Our state legislature does a great job making sure they fund our schools at a level where we are either 49th or 50th in the nation. They seem to view teachers as service economy workers not as the professionals they are. 40 plus student class sizes at PHS. Drugs are an issue at this school, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Do your fifteen year old a big favor and stay where you are.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:34 PM

39 posts, read 176,693 times
Default Check it out first!

Prescott High School is over populated like most Prescott public schools. There are about 1500 students in a school built for 1200.

If they close Bill Gates school then add another 300 students to PHS that are currently housed in an old elementary school.

The average school is 70+ years old and have a history of deferred maintence and are functionally obsolete. Prescott High is not a pretty picture.

As of April 15 the district will be RIFing (Reducation In Force) a huge number of quality teachers and principles. The teachers really are great but the administration is the worst I have ever seen. There are lots and lots of problems and I would encourage you to visit the schools and look before you leap.

Good Luck!

Scott

Old 04-17-2009, 05:34 PM

5 posts, read 10,415 times
Hate to revive this old topic but the truth should probably be told about the school / area.

The administration is terrible, like said above.
Some teachers are good, some are not, not unlike other schools.
PHS does have a good business, auto-shop and woodworking department.
There is a lack of classes, and the electives are limited.

There is a golf team, and a baseball team. The new baseball coach John Irish is ranked pretty highly in the state last I heard, however our team isn't.

Gangs aren't really an issue here, certainly not like bigger cities.

There are three major behavior issues at PHS. One is a large amount of STD's (according to the CDC, there is at least one case of every STD known at PHS), one is alcohol, and the last is tobacco. However, only about 25-35% (mostly upperclasses) of the population are involved in things like this. There are plenty of people to be around that would not be into these kinds of things. One thing you will find a lot of is chewing tobacco. These things can be found at any high school though.

The lack of things for young people to do here generally is the reason for most of the problems listed above. This city is boring. Very boring. There really isn't much to do. The mall is small with a small selection of things, a few bowling alleys and a movie theater are about all there is for entertainment for the young crowd.

Yavapai college is trying to merge with NAU to offer more classes and more degrees, this will be seen happening in the next few years, so this is an option.

As for churches, there is a church for all major branches of christianity. I wouldn't know the quality, I don't go.

There is a christian school, but it is only elementary / middle school. The 'Christian Academy' is the name.

Other than the fact this city is boring, I wouldn't sweat the school. It is just like any other high school, with a few more problems because of the lack of things to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott