Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 09:28 AM

28 posts, read 57,797 times

Advertisements

Meltinjohn wrote: "Yea there were hoodlums, but I thought there were some nice white people who lived down there too, although a high vietnamese area, but I could see myself living there"

To Meltinjohn: I am not sure if you meant to sound a bit racist or not, but that is kind of where you went with this comment. You all but implied that because the neighborhood was mostly a race besides white it would be much less desirable and probably even have crime issues because of the non-whites. But that it might be okay because of the "nice white people" walking around. Are you serious? News flash: there are criminals in every race and just because an area isn't majority white doesn't make it a suspect neighborhood.

Last edited by Wanderer - Not Lost; 09-02-2009 at 10:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 11:21 AM

109 posts, read 319,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxpl View Post
If my child was in danger of being shot, I would move RIGHT NOW! And really, when making a life-changing decision, such as where to live and raise your children, it is time to ignore political correctness and find the safest, best neighborhood. A "few hoodlums" just doesn't cut it. "Colorful neighborhood" is code for bums and crazies and poor people.
That sounds like the most terrifying thing, to hear shots being fired outside your door and be helpless, know that an innocent child has had their life taken away. But the bottom line is, statistically you are not likely to be the victim of a violent crime if you are not already a criminal. Drug dealers and gang bangers are shooting EACH OTHER, not random people walking down the street. Some parts of NoPo I wouldn't want to live in, just like some areas of Multnomah Village I wouldn't live in. There are way more "bums and crazies and poor people" in the ritzy Pearl than my neighborhood. People go through my trash when we put it out to get the cans & bottles which I don't really like, but they don't panhandle or bother me like the street kids downtown. At least they are taking the initiative to make some money instead of blocking the sidewalks with their palm out.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:32 PM

18 posts, read 52,153 times
Default To bunny1975...

Listen to me. I know.
I was born and raised in Chicago.
I'm currently on the West Coast because of my desire for "wanderlust".

You LOVE your 2500 square foot LOFT. I know you do. (I'm jealous.)
STICK with your June, 2010 plan. It's less than a year away.

You will not find (overall) better restaurants, better culture, better people, better comedy, better architecture, better clubs, better food, better sports fans, better "down-to-earth" values...than Chicago!!!

Yes, the winters are a pain in the ass. Okay, so???

I want to move to Portland too...but this whole Oregon "philosophy" sort of scares me.

"We hike! We fish! We hunt! We're green!"
"Okay, that's cool. What about jobs? What about money?"

"Okay, that's cool. WHERE ARE THE GO-GETTERS???"

I want to be financially secure. That's the "Chicago" in me.
In Oregon, it seems like the outdoors is more important than financial security. To me...that's like selling your vehicle because you want to be more "green". Like I said, the "philosophy" of this state sort of scares me.

GO BEARS!!!

Ronnie
Actor/Write/Bachelor

Old 09-02-2009, 09:02 PM

544 posts, read 1,472,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer - Not Lost View Post
Meltinjohn wrote: "Yea there were hoodlums, but I thought there were some nice white people who lived down there too, although a high vietnamese area, but I could see myself living there"

To Meltinjohn: I am not sure if you meant to sound a bit racist or not, but that is kind of where you went with this comment. You all but implied that because the neighborhood was mostly a race besides white it would be much less desirable and probably even have crime issues because of the non-whites. But that it might be okay because of the "nice white people" walking around. Are you serious? News flash: there are criminals in every race and just because an area isn't majority white doesn't make it a suspect neighborhood.
No I was trying to point out that the "bad" areas of Portland still had white people who were like any other in them despite how much crime went on. I saw a black and a mexican get into a little beef, but otherwise, didnt see too much.
I'm from the east coast so my speaking may seem off to you.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:37 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,626,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ronnie James View Post
In Oregon, it seems like the outdoors is more important than financial security. To me...that's like selling your vehicle because you want to be more "green". Like I said, the "philosophy" of this state sort of scares me.

GO BEARS!!!

Ronnie
Actor/Write/Bachelor
Somebody in another thread mentioned that we Oregonians take part of our paycheck in scenery. I thought that was a very appropriate observation.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:54 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,461,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ronnie James View Post
Listen to me. I know.
I was born and raised in Chicago.
I'm currently on the West Coast because of my desire for "wanderlust".

You LOVE your 2500 square foot LOFT. I know you do. (I'm jealous.)
STICK with your June, 2010 plan. It's less than a year away.

You will not find (overall) better restaurants, better culture, better people, better comedy, better architecture, better clubs, better food, better sports fans, better "down-to-earth" values...than Chicago!!!

Yes, the winters are a pain in the ass. Okay, so???

I want to move to Portland too...but this whole Oregon "philosophy" sort of scares me.

"Okay, that's cool. What about jobs? What about money?"

"Okay, that's cool. WHERE ARE THE GO-GETTERS???"

GO BEARS!!!

Ronnie
Actor/Write/Bachelor
Ronnie, so was I. I left Chicago a long time ago because I wanted a change but a piece of my heart will always remain there. I understand where you're coming from.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:43 PM

172 posts, read 537,237 times
Back to the OP's original question (they don't need jobs, they can work anywhere), Portland is a very safe city overall. West Linn has the lowest crime rate in the metro area. I wouldn't live with a young child in a place where someone was shot outside my door but that is me. If you want a safe 'burb, you can easily find one. If you want a safe downtown place, you can find that too and people won't be shooting outside your door. Panhandling perhaps, but not shooting. Actually, Portland is close to perfect for someone not worried about the job market and who isn't scared of a few grey skies in the winter.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:47 AM

118 posts, read 419,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sign View Post
BUNNY1975.........

Also....I'm NOT too keen on Oregon City and there is likely a bit more crime here.
Ah, the stereotypes on citydata are just awful. 82nd ave is ghetto, Oregon City has crime, Gresham is to be avoided at all costs, but please feel free to live in the hipster areas!!

I'm sitting in Oregon City right now and all I see are nice homes and a very suburban area. Granted, the downtown historical part is old and not Lake Oswego looking, but where is the data supporting the crime statistic?

If I could live anywhere, it would be on the hill overlooking downtown Troutdale. The view is amazing of the gorge and I would be so close to hiking.

Be careful as you listen to people on here. Elitism and stereotypes are to the extreme!!

Old 09-17-2009, 11:50 AM

569 posts, read 1,820,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Ronnie, so was I. I left Chicago a long time ago because I wanted a change but a piece of my heart will always remain there. I understand where you're coming from.
Same here, born and raised in Chicago and relocating to Portland in November for work.

Old 09-20-2009, 05:18 PM

1,747 posts, read 1,954,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocobot18 View Post
Ah, the stereotypes on citydata are just awful. 82nd ave is ghetto, Oregon City has crime, Gresham is to be avoided at all costs, but please feel free to live in the hipster areas!!

I'm sitting in Oregon City right now and all I see are nice homes and a very suburban area. Granted, the downtown historical part is old and not Lake Oswego looking, but where is the data supporting the crime statistic?

If I could live anywhere, it would be on the hill overlooking downtown Troutdale. The view is amazing of the gorge and I would be so close to hiking.

Be careful as you listen to people on here. Elitism and stereotypes are to the extreme!!
As I mentioned in a previous post, the crime stats are ONLY from what I recall via local media sources and this is not more recent, but perhaps a few years ago?
I do know that there are nice neighborhoods in and around Oregon City and overall, I would say that the Portland-metro area is generally, safe in comparison with other metro areas of its size.
On top of this......the Portland area is gorgeous and in great geographical proximity to sooo many things that nature has to offer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland