Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 09:18 PM

2 posts, read 2,480 times

Advertisements

Hi, my boyfriend and I are planning to move to portland or any surrounding area in January. We are in our early 20's and kind of a quiet couple, though I do like going to out every once in a while We want to live in a place that is serene, lots of beautiful trees, and trails where i can take my dog on walks . We have a small budget to rent under $1,000/mo. Where is the best city for us to move to that will provide what we are looking for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 10:11 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
The best place to move to is the community where you find a job. Unless you both were born with silver spoons in your mouth that should be your first priority. Once that is resolved you should be able to find the housing you describe.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:18 PM

2 posts, read 2,480 times
well obviously we've already checked that out which is why we know our budget is $1,000 and we want to be near portland. we already have spoken with companies that we currently work for that are located there and we both have job opportunities in portland and beaverton.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:44 PM

Information you didn't provide...

Something on NW 29th near Upshur in Portland would be perfect. Whether or not you can find something in your budget when you want to move is another issue.

Were I you I would use PadMapper about 45 days before your moving date and look for something on the west side of the Willamette river near a park. Keep in mind that Forest Park runs north from Hgwy 26 all along the ridge, lots of land to hike in.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:28 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,145,093 times
If you're going to be working in Beaverton, you'll want to look to the west side to live. No sense making a long commute if you don't have to. Rents there will be friendlier, too.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:19 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,477,557 times
Can't Beaverton workers even live in Tigard or Forest Grove? What would be the downside of living on the west side of the metro and commuting to Beaverton?

Old 09-05-2012, 02:09 PM

892 posts, read 1,593,103 times
I have a friend who works in Hillsboro who lives in Forest Grove and the commute is okay. There's a lot of traffic between Hillsboro and Beaverton though and I don't know that I'd want to add that onto a decent commute.

I think the Beaverton or west Portland suggestion comes from the fact their jobs are either in Beaverton or Portland or some combination so it makes sense to target that area. I'd look around Sylvan Hill.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:42 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,477,557 times
I'd love to live up in those hills, but maybe it just costs too much. As a teenager, I rode an ice cream wagon around up there and it left a warm impression on me (don't ask how long ago it was, I don't want to try to remember).

Old 09-05-2012, 02:58 PM

892 posts, read 1,593,103 times
There are some more reasonable apartment complexes closer to 26 or the sunset parking garage. Forest Hills is a whole other world.

Old 09-05-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SETabor View Post
There are some more reasonable apartment complexes closer to 26 or the sunset parking garage. Forest Hills is a whole other world.
Forest Heights..

I recall a poster on the Portland Housing Blog who rented in that neighborhood. He mentioned construction issues.

For those who don't know... during the housing run-up some developers took shortcuts, other builders were just incompetent and building envelope (water getting under the siding) issues abound. Sloppy flashing around windows and doors, cheap underlayment, I even saw lap siding installed back-wards because it 'looked nicer'. Avoid EIFS siding (synthetic plaster) like the plague. The garage of a high end condo leaks from their roof garden. Assume nothing, if you want to buy hire someone who is your advocate and who really knows construction.

Watch Holmes Inspection if you have cable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland