Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 03:58 PM

61 posts, read 261,125 times

Advertisements

Beautiful, beautiful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 04:19 PM

1,457 posts, read 6,034,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roneb View Post
And I must take exception to the photo of Vista House and the Columbia River Gorge. Yes, it's a beautiful shot, but not typical for winter or even of a cloudy day. Anyone familiar with the setting and the tones in the picture could tell at a glance that the photo was taken in late afternoon or evening with the setting sun coming through a thin cloud cover. Yes, there are clouds in the background, further up the Gorge (east), but it is actually sunny in that photo! On a more typical winter day you might not even be able to see beacon rock in the background due to cloud and weather conditions.
Actually, it is typical for winter in and around Portland. Because there is no "typical" winter weather in Portland that fits some kind of gloom or solid overcast day. For example, January in the Portland area, often has stretches of high pressure where the sky is blue and clear for a week or more continuously. How the day looks, often depends on where someone is, and what they are looking at.

Here is one more photo typical of one of those winter days where the morning mist gives way to a sparkling blue sky.

Attached Thumbnails
Gloomy season pics - photos ONLY-12.23.04-005.jpg  

Old 07-03-2009, 04:32 PM

As one who works outdoors for a living, my choice of weather is dry overcast weather. But I like the rain quite a bit too. Hiking in the gorge is more enjoyable when the brooks are flowing from rainwater. Maybe that's why I like the weather of the Portland area so much.

Autumn is my favorite season, especially blustery days when the leaves are blown about. This is one autumn visit to the World Forestry Center when I went there to see the exhibit and hike in the Hoyt Arboretum afterward.

Attached Thumbnails
Gloomy season pics - photos ONLY-train_700.jpg  

Old 07-03-2009, 04:49 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,360,665 times
Lovely photo! Autumn is my favorite season too and I just can't wait for all the bluster and blowing. In all the time I spent in Mexico, there was never a day that delighted me as much as an autumn day in Portland.

Old 07-04-2009, 02:32 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,328,307 times
It's my first day back in Austin. 103 degrees. Approximately 140% humidity. Sweating in the shower, then I just lay under a ceiling fan. Starting to feel like David Bowie's character in The Man Who Fell to Earth.

I can see the heat shimmering in the air. I think if I just pour charcoal into the Weber and remove the lid, it should light on its own. That's a great plan, standing over a grill out there.

Visiting the folks, who do not have a pool, and at age 41, seriously considering running through the sprinkler.

I'm left with no choice. This is not microbrew weather. Must...slam...light...beer...need....canned...beer .

Strangely, I can feel an overbite developing, my teeth bending words, adding extraneous syllables.

I cut the sleeves off of all my shirts this morning.

Maybe I just need a little Skynard and Hank. The neighbor kids are using lit cigarettes to light fireworks. Not really, fireworks are illegal, all this concrete is ripe to go up in flames.

Happy 4th, y'all.

Old 07-04-2009, 02:38 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,173,055 times
OMG--LOL---sounds like many a 4Th that I experienced in the deep south. I feel your pain!! Hate the humidity and the heat--unrelenting heat!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post
It's my first day back in Austin. 103 degrees. Approximately 140% humidity. Sweating in the shower, then I just lay under a ceiling fan. Starting to feel like David Bowie's character in The Man Who Fell to Earth.

I can see the heat shimmering in the air. I think if I just pour charcoal into the Weber and remove the lid, it should light on its own. That's a great plan, standing over a grill out there.

Visiting the folks, who do not have a pool, and at age 41, seriously considering running through the sprinkler.

I'm left with no choice. This is not microbrew weather. Must...slam...light...beer...need....canned...beer .

Strangely, I can feel an overbite developing, my teeth bending words, adding extraneous syllables.

I cut the sleeves off of all my shirts this morning.

Maybe I just need a little Skynard and Hank. The neighbor kids are using lit cigarettes to light fireworks. Not really, fireworks are illegal, all this concrete is ripe to go up in flames.

Happy 4th, y'all.

Old 07-04-2009, 04:21 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,360,665 times
Well if it's any consolation, we're in our 3rd day of 94 plus weather here in Portland. Admittedly, humidity is not an issue. Looks like the heatwave ends by Monday and we're back to normal. Hurry home! The lovely Portland weather awaits you.

Old 07-05-2009, 02:15 AM

24 posts, read 116,993 times
Here's a few gloomy pictures on our trip headed to Washington.
Gloomy season pics - photos ONLY-copy-2-dsc00098.jpg

Gloomy season pics - photos ONLY-copy-dsc00107.jpg

Gloomy season pics - photos ONLY-copy-dsc00113.jpg

Old 07-05-2009, 07:16 PM

295 posts, read 1,179,658 times
Even the gloomy pictures show me what a beautiful state Oregon is. I am originally from Texas and for a long time I have thought about going back. The more I am here and look around and realize what I would have to give up to go back - the more I realize that Oregon is really home.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:22 PM

Fortunately the Portland metro area as a whole, is not limited to the concrete jungle of central downtown and industrial areas. Although, some of the central area is pretty interesting. Here's a photo taken from an uphill yard, because I wanted to design a plan for the lower yard which won't block the view. Pretty decent. Again, it's the evergreens in the area which really make a difference sometimes.

The rainy days seem to really wash the air clean in the Portland area. Working outdoors, I find myself breathing a lot less dust and stuff than in dryer climates that I've visited over the years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmkm99 View Post
Here's a few gloomy pictures on our trip headed to Washington.
That's some pretty classic fog.

You know what town seems to have more fog than Portland? Medford in winter.
Attached Thumbnails
Gloomy season pics - photos ONLY-img_3002.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland