Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2009, 10:08 AM

25 posts, read 78,776 times

Advertisements

Call us crazy, but we plan to vacation in Portland the week after Christmas. This will be an opportunity to experience Portland in all its gloom and SAD inducing splendor. Actually, I am an Oregon native and have no concerns about the gloom. My wife is looking forward to moving to Portland for all the advantages I've spoken of before; however, the gloom is a minor concern to her. If all works out as desired, we will relo from Sacramento to Portland in late summer of 2010.

Unless it's Armageddon-like weather, we don't intend to allow the climate to rule our lives and make us shut-ins during our vacation. So, here's where you can help. What activities do you recommend during the cold and rainy season, especially at year end and New Years? Special events, places to go, places to see, things to do, etc. We like to walk, sight-see, dine out (last time in Portland we splurged, ate at Oba, and loved it), etc.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

PS: We are expecting to have a good time. If you hate Portland and have only negative comments, please save your energy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 12:57 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,358,115 times
Portland may surprise you that week and be bright and sunny. It happens. Personally I love the gloomy days, especially in winter. I hope you are staying downtown as it's great for walking around and sightseeing. All the Christmas lights and decorations will still be up. The tree in Pioneer Square will still be lit and beautiful. Lots of great restaurants to dine in. Try Carafe for a lovely French bistro meal. Higgins is very nice too. There are several theatres and movies houses downtown. Don't know yet what will be playing but there should be plenty of offerings. The Museum is also downtown and a great place to visit. Visit the Real Mother Goose for beautiful handcrafted furniture, jewelery and textiles.
Go to the Pearl for upscale shopping and dining.
Take a short trip out of downtown and have dinner at either Salvador Molly's or Three Square Grill in Hillsdale. Go the other direction and have brunch at the Tin Shed.
Have a great time!

Old 09-13-2009, 04:45 PM

162 posts, read 513,550 times
Skiing at Mt. Hood

Old 09-13-2009, 07:23 PM

716 posts, read 2,818,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HR-Hack View Post
Unless it's Armageddon-like weather, we don't intend to allow the climate to rule our lives and make us shut-ins during our vacation.
Neither do we. Go have a turkey dinner and Irish coffee at Hubers. Take a dinner cruise on the Willamette. Visit the zoo. Watch or participate in the ice skating at Lloyd Center.

Go to the coast and have a brick oven pizza at the Schooner in Netarts. Hike or bike to Crap Harbor.

Ski Mt. Hood.

Winter is typically 30's-40's and rain. Once people realize that they don't dissolve in the rain they do just fine here. I've lived here for decades and have never used an umbrella yet it's the first thing I bought when I moved here.

You're only concern would be an Arctic express where everything is parallized with ice but that's pretty rare.

Old 09-14-2009, 04:19 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,026,169 times
Here are some holiday traditions, but since you're coming the week after Christmas, I'm not sure if they'll still be active. I hope others will know -

- are the Christmas Ships still sailing the week after Christmas?

- does Peacock Lane still have its lights up?

- same question about the Grotto, and the zoo

Old 09-15-2009, 01:35 AM

682 posts, read 2,423,850 times
The Grotto is open until December 30th. We usually go after Christmas when more of our family is in town. (Festival of Lights)

The Zoo Lights goes through December 27th.

The Pittock Mansion is always decorated for Christmas as well. We went two years ago, and it had just snowed a little, so we got some great pictures.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:54 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,443,694 times
All the static displays usually last past Christmas at least a few days. Usually they're removed on or by the first full weekend after.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:29 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,642,016 times
Christmas in Portland very beautiful and lots to do. I, too, get gloomy when the weather is cloudy. But have returned to Portland area and resolved to make the best of it. Found my SAD light store! For some reason this past winter was not that bad seemingly. Global warming?

Hope you will enjoy your time here.

Old 09-18-2009, 12:52 PM

73 posts, read 232,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Christmas in Portland very beautiful and lots to do. I, too, get gloomy when the weather is cloudy. But have returned to Portland area and resolved to make the best of it. Found my SAD light store! For some reason this past winter was not that bad seemingly. Global warming?

Hope you will enjoy your time here.
Can you please provide info about the SAD light store? Local? Thank you in advance.

I do beg to differ with you about this past winter! Were you not here for the Arctic Blast of 2008 when many people (including myself) were snowed in for 15 days?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland