Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 03:28 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,852,599 times

Advertisements

I just posted about a Portland friend looking for A/C installation but she also needs some new furniture. When she lived here in Houston she had some "Texas-sized" living room furniture and they overwhelm her small house in Portland. She has a friend who "has a friend in the business" and he quoted an exhorbitant price for a sofa and a pair of club chairs. Can anyone suggest where she might look for some nice pieces that are reasonably priced - but not Ashley, please?

She will go out to the "burbs" if some suggests where she might look but she just hasn't been in Portland long enough to know where to look for resonably priced furnishings.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 04:42 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,435,785 times
What's "reasonably priced"? Furniture is pretty expensive unless you go to second hand stores.

Old 03-17-2009, 05:42 PM

9 posts, read 31,064 times
I'm not sure either what you call reasonably-priced, but my favorite spot is Portico on SE Division. Some of it is spendy, some is what I would call reasonable, but it is where I would buy all my furniture if I had money to buy any furniture at all.

Reclaimed Wood Tables and Custom Furniture Stores | Portico Furniture Portland (http://www.porticostyle.com/index.html - broken link)

Oh - and much of their stuff is local! :-)

Old 03-17-2009, 07:41 PM

914 posts, read 4,444,027 times
City Liquidators (downtown, east side) can be a lot of fun, and if you are willing to pick though it, you can find some cool stuff for not very much money.

Of course they is always Ikea (near the airport), if someone is in a real furniture bind. Not my favorite for furniture that get used a lot, though.

Personally, I have always really liked Dania (There are a few, there is a big store in Beaverton/Hillsboro, can be checked out at Dania). We got an all leather couch there for $700 that I absolutely love. Their prices range from less expensive to pretty expensive. It isn't locally made, but really, it all depends on what you can afford. A lot of local stuff is unfortunately expensive.

Old 03-18-2009, 02:30 AM

6,266 posts, read 19,160,787 times
when in a bind and until I could get what I wanted-I always hit the second hand stores,Goodwill, Thrift stores,etc.
Found some good buys there too. Some of the items I still have even after eventually being able to buy what I really wanted.

Old 03-18-2009, 02:32 AM

6,266 posts, read 19,160,787 times
also she might advertise on something like Craigslist to sell or trade the over-sized furniture she ca't use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
I just posted about a Portland friend looking for A/C installation but she also needs some new furniture. When she lived here in Houston she had some "Texas-sized" living room furniture and they overwhelm her small house in Portland. She has a friend who "has a friend in the business" and he quoted an exhorbitant price for a sofa and a pair of club chairs. Can anyone suggest where she might look for some nice pieces that are reasonably priced - but not Ashley, please?

She will go out to the "burbs" if some suggests where she might look but she just hasn't been in Portland long enough to know where to look for resonably priced furnishings.

Thanks.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:40 AM

716 posts, read 2,816,745 times
Some Costco's have some decent furniture at reasonable prices. However if her budget is tight then CL, garage/moving/estate sales are the way to go. Nothing depreciates as fast as furniture.

Good used furniture sells for pennies on the dollar and there is an abundance out there.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:19 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,139,756 times
You also might try one of the consignment furniture stores. They tend to have good quality stuff.

There's one (I think called Consignment Furnishings) at SE Stark & Grand Ave.
Rerun, 707 NE Fremont
Upscale Consignment Furniture & Decor, 17785 S.E. 82nd Drive, Gladstone

Old 03-18-2009, 09:40 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,558,027 times
William Temple House receives upscale donations: William Temple House Thrift Store Home Page

If she likes antiques or is looking for an accent piece check out O'Gallerie: O'Gallerie: Fine Arts, Antiques and Estate Auctions

Old 03-19-2009, 02:02 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,108,943 times
Once you learn the markup that furniture stores place on new furniture, you will never shop there again.

Consignment Northwest is another consignment store to consider. On the west side inside of Hwy 217. Otherwise estate sales are a great opportunity, particularly in this economy where people are dumping stuff to pay the bills. Of course you do have to shop around a bit. I also second O'Gallerie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland