Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2008, 11:41 PM

2 posts, read 4,434 times

Advertisements

I am planning a move to Portland this summer...I think, and I was just wondering what kind of social life I could expect to have once I arrive. I am a young, 40 year female who currently resides in the Silverlake area of Los Angeles. I say young because I am not the typical 40 year old that comes to mind. I've been in LA for a little over 11 years and I'm ready for a change. I love having access to culture...you know, live music, art, restaurants etc...all the things you can find in a city, but am sooo looking for a more mellow vibe. I'm just curious about what the age range of the population is, and are there many single people my age group remaining? In LA people seem to rarely settle down so there are always lots of singles around in all age brackets but that does not necessarily make the dating scene easy. I guess I'm not asking only about the dating scene but also social life in general. I have heard that Portland can be a bit sleepy. This might be ok, but I just want to know what I might be in for ahead of time. Any input would be great! Thanks so much!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 01:17 AM

1,457 posts, read 6,029,082 times
Maybe more sleepy in winter, but I found the single life decent.

Been married for quite a while now.

I just saw the LA area last year first time. Thought I'd enjoy it if single, but I did not see it's "unsightly features". Just the better areas.

Anyway, I'd probably get tired of the CA area after a few years anyway.

It rains a bit here, but it sure is a decent place.

When I was 20-ish, I was into the live Rock and Roll club scene. Never much of a Jazz person.

Love food though, and there are many good dining places here.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:32 AM

92 posts, read 113,022 times
Default self

You need to accept the fact that you are 40 years old and live with it. Other people know whether you like it or not.

Last edited by abigailprettycat; 12-15-2008 at 11:45 AM..

Old 12-15-2008, 12:45 PM

10 posts, read 26,989 times
Schoot! I didn't get married until I was 44. I'm not sure I'll ever get over it, though.

The social life of the Portland area looks pretty good to me, but if I were young and full of beans I'd find a nice place in the city. Close to downtown. People are friendly enough around these parts that you'll make friends and learn where the best hangouts, restaurants and theaters are located. There are some really fun neighborhoods in and around Portland.

It's definitely not LA, but that's probably a good thing.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:20 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
Silver Lake 40 yo lady, huh? I'm originally from the West Side (born and raised near the 405 & the 10).

I lived in Portland for 3 + years.
In all honesty:
If you can identify with anything remotely bohemian (Venice, Topanga Canyon, etc), then go, but it will be a "poor man's version" of those places
If you could live in South Orange County and get some nip and tuck, don't go.
If you are somewhat of a hybrid, then it will be tough to figure this out, not knowing you.

The guys up there seem to fall into a few different strata, none of which I could relate to: 1) frat boys who went to UofO and OSU and relocated after school to take a downtown financial services job, 2) guys who would date, and even marry, Tonya Harding, and 3) hippyish/granola types. Type 4s, educated but not "packaged via checklist" men don't do well in the PNW and move away.

You need to preview it in some way. The politeness is in no way indicative of friendliness. Political correctness and a nonconfrontational disposition are part and parcel of the PNW -- it's not "tell it like it is" LA. I had NO trouble meeting people in LA, even people I didn't go to college with that I ended up working with later. Also, most people from LA seem to do better in bigger Northeastern and Southeastern cities than they do in Portland or Seattle.

My two cents. I was convinced that I HAD to live up there and was subsequently disappointed.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:41 PM
GB1

116 posts, read 427,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
The guys up there seem to fall into a few different strata, none of which I could relate to: 1) frat boys who went to UofO and OSU and relocated after school to take a downtown financial services job, 2) guys who would date, and even marry, Tonya Harding, and 3) hippyish/granola types. Type 4s, educated but not "packaged via checklist" men don't do well in the PNW and move away.
Don't forget Type 5. Ye shall know him by the skateboard he rides, the comic-book collection, and the deep teenage-like affinity for Buffy the Vampire Slayer marathons at the local brewpub-theater.

Unfortunately, he's 36.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:35 PM

10 posts, read 26,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB1 View Post
Don't forget Type 5. Ye shall know him by the skateboard he rides, the comic-book collection, and the deep teenage-like affinity for Buffy the Vampire Slayer marathons at the local brewpub-theater.

Unfortunately, he's 36.

Henhenh. You two need to find a stage. That was pretty good.

I used to drive a Porche in my Colorado Springs days and the one thing I learned about it was it couldn't pass a decent looking bar w/o swerving into the parking lot. Anyway, I wuz on of those guys. http://www.publicadvocate.com/images2/beatnik.gif (broken link)

Old 12-15-2008, 10:11 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB1 View Post

Unfortunately, he's 36.
That's great. Really. I guess that's neither a Tonya Harding suitor nor a hippie-dippy type so, yes then, Type 5.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,119 times
soma_1...I am female 40+ female also and moved to Portland with my husband almost 4 years ago.If we hadn't had unusually snowy weather this week, I would recommend you pack your bags and head for the airport now!Seriously--- I love Portland. I've resided in and traveled to many different US cities including LA and from my personal tastes I can not say enough positive remarks about Portland. If you are a foodie--- ITS HERE!If you are artsy--- ITS HERE!If you enjoy the ability to travel to the ocean or mountains within an hour--- THEY'RE BOTH HERE!If you like any genre amongst the musical spectrum--- THEY'RE ALL HERE!!Say You're a 'Viner' or Brew-dawg--- Portland's got wineries and brewpubs scattered throughout the countryside and the city offers pleasant tastings annually for both.Dancing'-s your scene... pick your style, rock, rhumba or samba--- THEY'RE ALL HERE too!Schools for every profession you could imagine and loads of small independant boutiques or shops prove entreprenures abound in Portland.check out a couple of these sites and you can research a bit more of the area:
[url=http://www.travelportland.com]Portland Oregon Tourist & Vacation Information - Travel Portland[/url]
[url=http://www.traveloregon.com]Travel Oregon[/url]
So if any of what I said catches your eye--- come visit and then make your decision.It all depends on what your dreaming for...BTW the state travel website reads: "Oregon is for Dreamers"

Last edited by pdxP-la; 12-18-2008 at 09:22 PM.. Reason: links

Old 12-22-2008, 11:45 PM

2 posts, read 4,434 times
Thanks guys for taking the time to reply! It really does help to get some outside perspective....Except for the comments that make no sense at all (abigailprettycat)??? But whatevs, we can't all be expected to understand the question presented us. I am thinking that I will love Portland and plan to make my escape from LA sometime this year. I look forward to sharing all the goods and the bads that come along with it with the rest of those who adore it too. Any more info is always welcome!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: