Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 07:34 PM

7 posts, read 16,397 times

Advertisements

I'm a 29 year old guy with a good head on my shoulders and am looking to make a move by August of this year...

I was living out in Malibu, CA working for a drug/alcohol treatment center but felt it wasn't my calling anymore and decided to move back home which is beautiful Sarasota, FL. Sarasota's a very nice town...for retirees but I'm 29 and single and looking to enjoy life and to be around more people my age.

I think the main thing about Portland that's always kind of drawn my attention is that it's a smaller city and the fact that Mt. Hood is only about 50 miles SE of the city. Being a snowboarder all of my life, that fact really excites me. My family has a condo in Steamboat Springs, CO but getting out there is a hassle and would be much easier to just hop in the car and be at Mt. Hood in an hour (or less).

I'm a massage therapist by trade but since I let my license lapse while I was living in California I've been working as a waiter at world class resort here on Longboat Key in Sarasota. I did hear that Portland had a lot of great restaurants and bars (?) and figured I could definitely get into one of those as I'm very good at what I do although it's not a profession I want to pursue forever.

I do have more than enough money saved to move anywhere I want to more than comfortably it's just a matter of where.

A friend of mine lives up in Seattle and has been talking to me about that so it's definitely going to be a tough decision. I will be going out to check out Both WA & OR before I decide where it is I'm going to move to but just thought I'd go ahead and ask here first as I'm not heading that way until July-ish.

I guess you could say I'm a young, adventurous, ambitious guy who's still exploring what's out there.

What do you guys think?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Carpe Diem!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 09:18 PM

600 posts, read 1,469,989 times
Well, the main difference b/w both cities is Seattle is more of a metropolitan, urban city and Portland is like its little sister. Personally I think there is better food/restaurants in Seattle than in Portland. Dont get me wrong, Portland has a few but there are lots and lots of chains.
The job market is poor in Portland right now. Don't just "figure" you can get any serving job just because you have experience. You will be fighting with lots of other people for these jobs. Its in your best interest to have 6 mos. or so of living expenses saved up. What's your housing budget?

Old 02-07-2011, 09:39 PM

I could spend upwards to a grand a month on living expenses such as rent and bills although it'd be more likely just to find someone who's around my age and so forth looking for a roommate. They're all over craigslist. I've done it before and ended up making friends for life out of those situations. Since I do have a friend already up in Seattle I'll probably end up there out of the two but the thought of Mt. Hood being so close is very enticing. I'll be making a road trip from San Diego up through Oregon & Wash State this July. Thnx for you inut - Craig.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:39 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,160,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy32673 View Post
Well, the main difference b/w both cities is Seattle is more of a metropolitan, urban city and Portland is like its little sister. Personally I think there is better food/restaurants in Seattle than in Portland. Dont get me wrong, Portland has a few but there are lots and lots of chains.
I'm sorry, but this just isn't true. Perhaps you've only been in suburbia or out in strip-malls in Portland. Of course there are some "in" the city, but precious few. I live in the downtown area, and have never visited restaurants like Outback, Chillis, Marie Callendars, Red Lobster ... because there aren't any in town. I'll admit to having been to Olive Garden a few times. My family in the burbs has gathered there for birthday dinner's a time or two. But they're so far away from me, I haven't been there. Especially as there are so many more enticing choices close by. And you throw in the 600+ food carts, and to say Portland has a "few" restaurants is ridiculous.

And being the statistical freak I am, I looked up the listings on Yelp, and factored each per population of the metropolitan area. Seattle has 1.92 restaurants per 1,000 residents and Portland has 2.16.

To the OP, I think you'd be likely to find more nightlife in Seattle and more of a singles "scene." But then, if the snowboarding is a big factor, Portland might suit better. I'm sure it'll be a tough choice for you.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
I'm sure it'll be a tough choice for you.
Yeah man, gonna be a tough decision. My friend says there's snowboarding up there as well just not sure how close. All I know is that I'm going to be ready to get out of Sarasota...it's a retirement community, although nice with beautiful beaches I'm ready for some change. And ready to meet some new people. I grew up here so it's been kind of depressing to be back once I've already been out of my own all over the country doing things.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry, but this just isn't true. Perhaps you've only been in suburbia or out in strip-malls in Portland. Of course there are some "in" the city, but precious few. I live in the downtown area, and have never visited restaurants like Outback, Chillis, Marie Callendars, Red Lobster ... because there aren't any in town. I'll admit to having been to Olive Garden a few times. My family in the burbs has gathered there for birthday dinner's a time or two. But they're so far away from me, I haven't been there. Especially as there are so many more enticing choices close by. And you throw in the 600+ food carts, and to say Portland has a "few" restaurants is ridiculous.

And being the statistical freak I am, I looked up the listings on Yelp, and factored each per population of the metropolitan area. Seattle has 1.92 restaurants per 1,000 residents and Portland has 2.16.

To the OP, I think you'd be likely to find more nightlife in Seattle and more of a singles "scene." But then, if the snowboarding is a big factor, Portland might suit better. I'm sure it'll be a tough choice for you.
Im sorry you read my post wrong but I said nothing about the amount of restaurants in Portland. I stated that the food is much better. Compared to other cities (SEA/LA/SFO) Portland has LESS better restaurants than the amount of chains you will find. Having lived in Portland, San Diego, Seattle and now LA I find this to be pretty a pretty accurate opinion

Old 02-08-2011, 10:17 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,160,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy32673 View Post
Im sorry you read my post wrong but I said nothing about the amount of restaurants in Portland. I stated that the food is much better. Compared to other cities (SEA/LA/SFO) Portland has LESS better restaurants than the amount of chains you will find. Having lived in Portland, San Diego, Seattle and now LA I find this to be pretty a pretty accurate opinion
I do have reading comprehension., and read nothing in your post wrong. Perhaps you misstated yourself. I'm just doubting you really know much about Portland's restaurants, if you're claiming they're mostly chains. They're not. And that's a a pretty accurate opinion, I find. Considering I do live in Portland. Not "lived."

Old 02-08-2011, 11:14 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,566,007 times
If close snow is one of your priorities, why are you not looking to Colorado or Utah? I don't want to burst your bubble, but Portland is not exactly a mecca for winter sports. You can get significantly better resorts for just about the same amount of driving in Denver (with much better winter weather (at least for skiing)).

Old 02-09-2011, 08:49 AM

716 posts, read 2,820,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigerz View Post
My family has a condo in Steamboat Springs, CO but getting out there is a hassle and would be much easier to just hop in the car and be at Mt. Hood in an hour (or less).
There is absolutely no comparison when it comes to Steamboat Springs to Mt Hood!!

SS is world class skiing with Rockie Mtn. snow which is superior to Western Cascades snow.

Mt Hood snow is usually heavy, icy and/or slush. It's often raining on Mt Hood or blowing and gloomy. SS is usually sunny.

Mt Hood is convienant but that's all it has going for it.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
I do have reading comprehension., and read nothing in your post wrong. Perhaps you misstated yourself. I'm just doubting you really know much about Portland's restaurants, if you're claiming they're mostly chains. They're not. And that's a a pretty accurate opinion, I find. Considering I do live in Portland. Not "lived."
Well thank god for opinions then huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland