Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 08:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,927 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Portland and know little other than what i have read on this site. What is a good place to live for a young single professional male?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 11:45 AM

393 posts, read 1,499,357 times
I don't live in Portland but am researching a move there. From what I've read/heard, you should look into the Pearl District. 'Young professional' and 'trendy' are all words I've seen associated with the neighborhood. Definitely do a board search for "Pearl" in the Oregon forum and you'll find some helpful posts.

Also check out this site - a ton of info here - especially the 'neighborhood profiles' at the bottom.

Portland Oregon Guide to Neighborhoods

Old 06-07-2007, 02:10 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,398,034 times
Agreed on Pearl. I'd also suggest the area surrounding NW 23rd.

Old 06-07-2007, 03:17 PM

1,008 posts, read 4,029,214 times
Personally I would never move to Pearl, it's far to ritzy/upscale for my tastes. I spent many years living like that and no more. It depends who you are! Some people love that type of environment ands others don't. Hi Jake

Old 06-07-2007, 03:21 PM

Matt- You need to provide a little more as to what you're seeking and what you're interests are. This will help the locals understand your needs better. Being a "professional" says very little. Professional what? What type of people do you like? Do you like the city or the burbs? Driving or rail? You see????

Old 06-08-2007, 07:58 AM

Agreed that it matters what type of person you are. The Pearl is upscale urban living (fake lofts that are really luxury apartments). It has a good location if you work downtown and is close to upscale shopping. If you want something more grungy/authentic I'd suggest looking at the close in east-side areas.

Old 06-08-2007, 01:02 PM

Jake- I'm "considering" relocating to Portland "as you know" and it hasn't been easy. There are many things to take in to consideration. I have two questions for you...

1) What's the economy look like and what jobs are in high demand?
2) What neighborhood would you recommend for a student on a "very tight" budget? $600 max per mo...One bedroom.

Neighborhood should be centrally located where I can EASILY commute between community college and Portland State Univ. Nothing to wild and nothing to quiet. Say a 15 min walk from my apartment would get me in to the entertainment / personal needs sector: Cheap Movie Theater, Thrift shops like
"The Village/ Salvation Army" Independent music stores, art galleries, intimate cafe's, quaint little restaurants etc... The feel should be ethnically diverse, artsy/bohemian, very peace oriented/laid back atmosphere with friendly people driven towards a counter culture mentality. Basically where you can have a nice time and meet down to earth people with limited financial resources.

If I decide to move to Oregon I plan to make a life for myself there. So far I've heard wonderful things about it except (WEATHER) but that wouldn't be a "major" issue for me. I like overcast skies and people who are socially "far" left. I'm sure I'll have many more questions but that's all for now. Thanks....

Old 06-08-2007, 01:19 PM

1) I don't think the economy is as poor as some say, but it isn't as strong as the sunbelt. There are a lot of educated (often over educated) folks, so it can be more competitive for jobs. At that kind of tight budget you could definitely find jobs for service businesses (law firms, accounting firms) or retail that would cover your rent and then some. What do you WANT to do?
2) In my opinion, the Sellwood or Hollywood areas would fit your needs. Another place to consider would be Old Town (once referred to as bum town). It is close to the Pearl, but definitely grungier. There are some complexes there that have income limits for residents and are therefore more affordable. Go take a look on craiglist.

Old 06-08-2007, 01:44 PM

Yeah, I'm just trying to get an idea as to the cost of living and the strength of the economy. My fields...Marketing, Financial, Telecommunications..anything that's "white collar" business professional oriented!

What I "WANT" to do....I guess become an independent filmmaker, make 100 million dollars and buy a part of an isolated Island....How's that for utopia??

I looked in to Sellwood and it sounds beautiful but isn't it "suburban?"
What do you think about Goose Hollow or Hawthorne?

In researching Portland $600 for a one bedroom is not going to be difficult to find. Especially since I'm looking for a neighborhood "opposite" of Pearl which is supposed to be saturated with wealthy yuppies.

Old 06-08-2007, 02:28 PM

Goose Hollow is an interesting spot- close to everything downtown but suprisingly quiet. You could walk to everything, but the neighberhood itself doesn't really have much going on. Hawthorne is a good choice too. Take it easy on the yuppies- I'm one myself. Sellwood isn't suburban.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: