Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2008, 05:24 AM

8 posts, read 16,547 times

Advertisements

Hello all.

I have always had an interest in moving to Portland. I briefly visited a long time ago, but was only there for a few days, so I didn't get a chance to get a real feel for the city. To be honest, it was just one big party and a blur. (During my university heydays!)

My husband and I presently reside in the Southeast of England. (We are both American. He's from the south and I am from the north.)

We have been talking about where we might consider moving to after my work permit in the UK is finished in a year. We might stay here, or we might head back to the States. It depends on a lot of variables that are too numerous and personal to mention online.

I did want to do a bit of research though.

One of the things that we truly love about living here in England is that we don't need to have a car. I sold my car before we moved here a few months back. I really enjoy not having a car. It takes off a financial burden, and I don't have to worry about repairs, gasoline prices, maintenance, etc... My husband feels the same way. So, we would be interested in moving to an area where they would be good public transport.

What's the situation with public transport in Portland? Is it like so many other American cities where you still should have a car in order to be able to accomplish anything?

What are the best areas in Portland to not own a car in?

Lastly, although the title of the thread is not about the cost of living, can someone give me a decent approximation of the cost of one bedroom apartments or housing? Another great thing about life in England has been that there are plenty of non-corporate living accommodations. I have terrible credit, and my husband's isn't much better. We had a lot of difficulties finding places in the States. It doesn't seem to matter that two people are trying to start over and make a new life for themselves.

There should be at least ONE "get out of jail free" card with bad credit, as sometimes people get into situations that are over their heads. (Another reason why we don't want to have a car. I don't want to pay high interest rates for a loan until my credit is at a much better place. In fact, truth be told, I don't want a car anymore. I love being able to use my feet to get to whereever I need to get to.)

I am looking for a place that has some of the same qualities that I have found in England: Public transport, rental accommodation through private individuals instead of corporations, etc...

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 09:24 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,935,593 times
There are not that many cities Portlands size with as extensive a mass transit system. That said, I think you will want to live within spitting distance of the Blue Line of the MAX light rail and supplement with the occasional bus or busses that still leaves you a 30 mile swath of PDX to research, get cracking. South England is more expensive than the north. In America the expensive cities are well known, most hover around a loosely defined middle and a few are relative bargains. Relative because they won't likely have the kind of infrastructure you have become used to. PDX IMO has what you are looking for. There are independent rentals but you will have to look hard. Being independent is no guarantee they won't want your credit score and use that to deny you. It isn't a regional thing, it isn't a British or American thing. It's life in the 21st Century

H.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:58 AM

246 posts, read 1,073,573 times
You can look for rentals on Craigslist. Seems like most people are starting to advertise their rentals there more often because it's free. Good luck to you!

Old 10-31-2008, 05:21 AM

Cheers for the replies.

I am encouraged by the fact that Portland has a great public transport system. I am originally from the Northeast, and although I could move to New Jersey without having a car, I would not be able to afford it. My parents are in the Poconos, and I miss it very much...but again, it's impossible to exist without a car, and there aren't many jobs in a close area. I would have to commute, and I really like the idea of not having a car. I don't mean to sound like a hippy, but I feel a bit better that I am using public transport instead of burning petrol.

I know that the credit score situation is the same all over the world. We got lucky in England, as most places don't deal with international credit checks, and there are still strict laws that govern that, I am told. The letting agency only checked our credit within the country. However, the landlady liked us, and promised to give us the place even if we failed the credit check. We didn't, obviously, as we had never lived here. Only one place that we went to wanted to do an international credit check.

I am curious if the cost of living here is closer to being on par with life in the Northeast--perhaps NJ, Boston, etc...

Is Portland cheaper than Seattle to reside in?

Old 10-31-2008, 07:04 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,548,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natashasimone View Post
Cheers for the replies.

I am encouraged by the fact that Portland has a great public transport system. I am originally from the Northeast, and although I could move to New Jersey without having a car, I would not be able to afford it. My parents are in the Poconos, and I miss it very much...but again, it's impossible to exist without a car, and there aren't many jobs in a close area. I would have to commute, and I really like the idea of not having a car. I don't mean to sound like a hippy, but I feel a bit better that I am using public transport instead of burning petrol.

I know that the credit score situation is the same all over the world. We got lucky in England, as most places don't deal with international credit checks, and there are still strict laws that govern that, I am told. The letting agency only checked our credit within the country. However, the landlady liked us, and promised to give us the place even if we failed the credit check. We didn't, obviously, as we had never lived here. Only one place that we went to wanted to do an international credit check.

I am curious if the cost of living here is closer to being on par with life in the Northeast--perhaps NJ, Boston, etc...

Is Portland cheaper than Seattle to reside in?

Portland does indeed have a very good mass transit system and it's getting better.

I think you will find the cost of living cheaper than an area like Boston- especially in apartments & electricity. And while Portland doesn't have near the history or "old town" feel to it that Boston has, it's much cleaner and both the mountains & ocean beaches are very close by.

As to Seattle, we may be a tad cheaper right now, but that state is sinking into the abyss and it could be that Portland will be more expensive within a couple of years.

Old 10-31-2008, 12:31 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,148,490 times
According to Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed, link removed, cost of living in Seattle is 21% more expensive than Portland. Boston is 17%. Northern New Jersey (I tried a couple different cities) is about 3% cheaper.

Last edited by Yac; 11-14-2008 at 04:33 AM..

Old 10-31-2008, 03:50 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,548,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
According to Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed, link removed, cost of living in Seattle is 21% more expensive than Portland. Boston is 17%. Northern New Jersey (I tried a couple different cities) is about 3% cheaper.

Good find.

Last edited by Yac; 11-14-2008 at 04:33 AM..

Old 11-01-2008, 04:45 AM

Talking Thank you everyone for the wonderful information!

Thanks for all the great replies!

My next question would be regarding the job market... I am a teacher, but after I teach out this year in England, I am strongly considering taking a few years off to focus on going back to University and becoming a Librarian. (There is a wonderful on-line program through a university in Pennsylvania that is accredited with the American Library Assocation.)

With that said, I would default back to doing what I did when I was a student: working as a secretary or administrative assistant. I have very strong office skills and copious experience as an admin. assistant.

I also have some experience in the social services field, having worked three summers in a row at a group home for at-risk youths.

My husband has experience with computer repair. He has started his own computer repair business here in England and has had some success, even with the "credit crunch" here in England. The British economy is in a very sad state at the moment. I know it's tough all over though. Being such a small country, it's really noticeable here.

I really do appreciate all the help and suggestions. I know that August is a long way off, but when thinking about relocating, there never seems to be enough time to prepare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: