Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 11:03 AM

121 posts, read 219,860 times

Advertisements

Those are all reasons my family wants to move to Portland. But after cruising around this forum I have found that there is a good deal of negativity towards what appears to be a fantastic, funky, forward-thinking city. Is all of this complaining akin to customer feedback? People rarely take the time to call a place of business to thank them for the fantastic service they received but seldom hesitate to pick up the phone when they have a bone to pick. Am I getting a distorted view by reading these threads?

First, a bit of background. My family were Oregon homesteaders, but I was unfortunate enough to be the first generation born in another state. I live in a large suburb of a major metropolitan area, but it does not offer the wealth of activities and natural beauty that the Portland area does. Public transport is a joke and everything is so spread out that it makes walking or even biking to a destination unfeasible. I have lived in other metros, including Honolulu and London. What I loved about those places was the great public transport and 'walk-ability' of the neighborhoods. I experienced anti-haole (how-lee) sentiment in Hawai'i and anti-American/white (I lived in a poor suburb that was predominantly West Indies) when I lived in London, but the nice people I encountered helped to make up for that. There is a huge homeless problem in Hawai'i (after all, what better place to have to live rough?!) and the local joke is that mental wards on the Mainland buy their patients one-way tickets to the islands. They would panhandle, but usually didn't pester one after the first request. In London there are a lot of Roma (Gypsies) that panhandle and they could get really nasty if they didn't like the way you ignore or turn them down. Plus, for added fun, their kids were skilled pick-pockets. I have nothing against homeless people, but I don't like to be harassed. I give change when I can, but I am fairly poor myself. Ok, enough background.

My concerns: Some posters make it seem like I am going to have to deal with panhandling everywhere I go. Honestly, is this truly the case? If I go downtown, I would expect it, but if I'm just riding/walking with my kids to a local park or grocery store, am I always going to have to deal with this?

If I want to take Max or the bus with my kids, am I going to have to make them wear earplugs to keep them from hearing people talk about sex and drugs? I'm not a prude, but I don't need my little ones exposed to that kind of cr*p. One poster made these public transport modes sound like a halfway house on wheels.

Are there neighborhoods that are more likely to have undesirable elements (gang, graffiti, rough bars, strip clubs)?

What neighborhoods are safer for children to play in the front yard or walk to a friend's house?

I have used Google maps to look at the location of houses for sale and I have discovered that the zoning allows to mixed use which, where I come from, usually means that the surrounding homes/neighborhoods are run-down and not desirable to live/walk around in. Where I live, in the older parts of town where mixed-use was allowed, the neighborhoods have a higher incidence of crime. Is this the case in Portland? Or is it more like London, where there are plenty of shops and other services sprinkled throughout the neighborhood without affecting the quality of life there?

I would LOVE to live in a nice neighborhood where I can get to know my neighbors, walk to the local grocery store or cafe with my kids, and feel safe and not get harassed at every corner.

I know I have written a tome, but I appreciate you taking the time to read my post and respond thoughtfully with sincerity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 11:05 AM

506 posts, read 1,313,627 times
To answer you first question, while certain specific questions can be answered well on these forums, they are not representative.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:43 PM

196 posts, read 428,765 times
Portland is going to be a major change (sounds like the one you are looking for) from the valley.

Panhandling- primarily downtown and not as agressive as I have encountered in other cities

Max- Well, each ride will present a new experience. I have ridden many times with no problems. I have also ridden when heroin addicts are looking for handouts, when a pit bull was less than 2ft away on a PACKED train, a pregnant woman passed out and the train didn't stop, and a homeless man yelling at me- so it will just depend. Do many people take there kids on there regularily- yes. Is there a chance they might be exposed to something you are concerned about- yes.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:56 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,358,115 times
Answers in bold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantStandTheHeat View Post
?

My concerns: Some posters make it seem like I am going to have to deal with panhandling everywhere I go. Honestly, is this truly the case? If I go downtown, I would expect it, but if I'm just riding/walking with my kids to a local park or grocery store, am I always going to have to deal with this?
Of course not. It's mostly downtown and not nearly the hordes some would have you believe. I have lived in various neighborhoods for 35 years and worked downtown for 24, so I know whereof I speak.

If I want to take Max or the bus with my kids, am I going to have to make them wear earplugs to keep them from hearing people talk about sex and drugs? I'm not a prude, but I don't need my little ones exposed to that kind of cr*p. One poster made these public transport modes sound like a halfway house on wheels. I suppose it would depend on where you are riding the bus. Outside of downtown, I'd guess it's minimal. There are always going to be "characters" and rude riders, but halfway house? I'd guess not. On the other hand, there is now way to completely protect your children from foul language.

Are there neighborhoods that are more likely to have undesirable elements (gang, graffiti, rough bars, strip clubs)? Of course they're are. You'll know them when/if you see them. I doubt you will even go there to house hunt. These types of neighborhoods are in every city.

What neighborhoods are safer for children to play in the front yard or walk to a friend's house? Almost all of them with all the usual caveats you'd have in any city. You and your children will be quite safe here.

I have used Google maps to look at the location of houses for sale and I have discovered that the zoning allows to mixed use which, where I come from, usually means that the surrounding homes/neighborhoods are run-down and not desirable to live/walk around in. Where I live, in the older parts of town where mixed-use was allowed, the neighborhoods have a higher incidence of crime. Is this the case in Portland? Or is it more like London, where there are plenty of shops and other services sprinkled throughout the neighborhood without affecting the quality of life there? It depends on how close in you live or where in the suburbs if you choose that. Again, you'll know it when you see it. Lots of great neighborhoods in Portland.

I would LOVE to live in a nice neighborhood where I can get to know my neighbors, walk to the local grocery store or cafe with my kids, and feel safe and not get harassed at every corner. Fear not. You will find plenty to choose from here. Don't let the complainers and naysayers get to you.

I know I have written a tome, but I appreciate you taking the time to read my post and respond thoughtfully with sincerity.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:44 PM

121 posts, read 219,860 times
Thank you for your input. I really appreciate you taking the time to address my concerns. Your answers have made me realize that I should have chosen different words in some of my questions! I should have asked 'WHICH neighborhoods are more likely to have undesirable elements...'

And...I should have asked which neighborhoods would one recommend for families with young children, rather than just ask which neighborhoods are safer.

Also...I meant to ask 'where are the neighborhoods (or, specifically, which neighborhoods) that are more likely to have undesirable elements.

Oops!

Old 01-28-2011, 03:58 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,358,115 times
See the boldface.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantStandTheHeat View Post
Thank you for your input. I really appreciate you taking the time to address my concerns. Your answers have made me realize that I should have chosen different words in some of my questions! I should have asked 'WHICH neighborhoods are more likely to have undesirable elements...'

And...I should have asked which neighborhoods would one recommend for families with young children, rather than just ask which neighborhoods are safer. There are so many different neighborhoods in Portland, and no one person can give an opinion on all of them. I certainly can't, but the ones I can name are Hillsdale, Multnomah, Sellwood, Raleigh Hills, Ladd's Addition, Hawthorne, Burlingame, Tigard (suburb), Lake Oswego (suburb), Beaverton (suburb), Hollywood and so many more I can't name off the top of my head. Most or all of these have a range of homes and pockets that range from high end homes to lower end. Sometimes two or three streets over from where you live can be a little "iffy". Undesirables are everywhere and you have no way of knowing who and where they are. There could be a sex offender on my street but I wouldn't know unless they registered and I looked them up. A lot depends on your budget. Nothing is perfect. You are worrying too much about this. Really - just come and look around and pick a place that looks good to you.

Also...I meant to ask 'where are the neighborhoods (or, specifically, which neighborhoods) that are more likely to have undesirable elements.
This can get me deep into the waters of political correctness, but parts of North and NE Portland (and other areas) have reputations. Gangs, graffiti, low income, etc. And even there, folks love and worry about their kids and try to do the best by them, just like you. Nuff said. Zero in on something that appeals to you and then ask us about it. Really! You'll be quite safe almost anywhere in Portland.

Oops!

Old 01-28-2011, 07:56 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,909,219 times
So much to answer and really want to help out so will give some info now and some later after kids are asleep. First, Portland has many "safe" neighborhoods. I really love the NE for the neighborhoods and community. My family and I moved here a year ago and have had tremendous luck. We love our kids' school, our neighborhood is walkable to other n'hoods that I enjoy going to and shopping in. I take the Max with my two kids, one is in a stroller and I never have a problem. It's not like the Tube or the NYC subway or Bay Area Bart or DC's amazing transit but it's good. I have heard good things about the buses. I am familiar with Oahu and I used to visit my sister in London. I absolutely think you will enjoy the neighborhood feel of PDX. It's so family friendly. I am from S.F. originally and the homeless problem touches the average person more there than in Portland. I only have experiences with panhandlers in downtown area. I am not bothered too much. I know what streets to avoid and then I am fine. You can PM me if you like. Good luck.

Old 01-29-2011, 02:39 PM

218 posts, read 721,016 times
As for the Panhandlers and Homeless, They are not as aggressive as other cities. Actually the other day I spent all day walking around Downtown and only had 2 people try and ask me for change.

As for the Max, you never know what you are going to get. It can be quiet and peaceful, or over crowded and loud. There is a high chance your kids would be exposed to foul language and drug references. It's the nature of the beast.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:13 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,458,443 times
Quote:
Homeless people do live in the neighborhoods but they will not bother you and chances are you won't see them very often. They are not the aggressive types you encounter downtown.

Quote:
If I want to take Max or the bus with my kids, am I going to have to make them wear earplugs to keep them from hearing people talk about sex and drugs? I'm not a prude, but I don't need my little ones exposed to that kind of cr*p. One poster made these public transport modes sound like a halfway house on wheels.

Sometimes you will but then again where doesn't this happen? If your kids are going to be taking the bus to and from school or if you ride when school kids are on the bus they will hear things you probably won't want to. But that's the nature of the beasties. Kids do that here just like anywhere else.

Quote:
Are there neighborhoods that are more likely to have undesirable elements (gang, graffiti, rough bars, strip clubs)?
You will find tagging in some neighborhoods. Rough bars and strip clubs are pretty much a thing of the past in residential areas but if you look hard enough you can find them.

Quote:
I would LOVE to live in a nice neighborhood where I can get to know my neighbors, walk to the local grocery store or cafe with my kids, and feel safe and not get harassed at every corner.
There are many Portland neighborhoods that fit this description. It's kind of difficult to pinpoint just one. I can recommend SE Portland where I live that describes these wants to a "T."

I do not believe you can avoid some of your concerns anywhere you go. Portland is typical of any city of its size. It is generally safe but nothing is 100%. As long as the bad guys can drive or take buses there really is no such thing as a totally "safe" neighborhood.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:51 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,484,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
..... Portland is typical of any city of its size.....
I mildly disagree with this statement. From my experience living east of the Mississippi River, Portland is not typical of communities of similar size. When I moved to Portland, it was so refreshing to live in an urban city that didn't have the extreme stratification and total isolation of economic / cultural / racial groups due mostly to 'white-flight' to car-is-king suburbia. I found Portland **not** to be typical, plus the inner core of Portland (like the Pearl, NW 21st-25th, SE Hawthorne St., and NE & SE 28th street ) to be much more economically and culturally integrated than I ever witnessed in places like Baltimore, Pittsburgh, or Detroit.

Albeit there is an occasional West-side, West-slope, chauvinism that peeks through now and then. But that is low level background noise compared to the economic devastation and cultural ruin the inner cities east of the Mississippi experienced in the last 60 years. Whole 'nother level of intensity of stratification and isolation of the citizens of a community; nothing like I found in Portland.

Phil
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland