Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2023, 03:22 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,135,223 times

Advertisements

Pick your tax calculator and how it's applied.

This one says Oregon's total tax burden is 31 out of 50 (Bigger is better).
https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...x-burden/20494

This one doesn't list Oregon's overall tax burden, but does list income tax as third highest.
https://www.npr.org/2023/03/30/11669...property-sales

This one also puts Oregon at 31 out of 50, but this time smaller is better... hmmm?
https://taxfoundation.org/publicatio...rden-rankings/

This one's a bit more confusing, because is highlights individual income tax, but then goes into overall tax.
https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...urden-by-state

Anyway, all these charts and lists can be presented in ways to highlight some organization's agenda. Tax burden will be an individual issue based on various income streams, income level, family size, other deductions, etc. No one wants to pay taxes, but we "Hope" the money is used fairly well and resolve issues important to the state's population. Funding the homeless in Western Oregon, but not fixing the overall issues, or at least having a realistic plan to fix them, is not a good continual use of most tax payer's money in most people's opinions I'd guess as an example.

I think if the Greater Idaho agenda gets moved along, and the costs of adding the Oregon counties is added up, then this won't be a very desirable initiative to folks living in Idaho Falls, West Yellowstone, Moscow, Post Falls, Salmon, and other towns and counties not bordering Oregon. Unless there is a monetary benefit to Idaho (probably not), then there is no real chance Idaho voters will want to approve this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2023, 03:32 PM

5,501 posts, read 7,805,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
You lose all credibility with this statement.

At best, OR may be at the bottom of the most expensive third for some people but for most, it consistently ranks as one of the worst 5 - 10 states for total tax burden on working families.

Virtually every calculator or COL analysis tool shows that the average couple will increase their financial Quality of Life and lengthen the time their retirement money will last by just leaving this high cost, inefficient, craphole of government state.

Hell Portland proper is now the second highest tax jurisdiction in the country behind NYC. Further one only has to earn $125,000 in Portland to pay highest rate while in NYC one has to earn $25 MILLION!!

https://www.koin.com/news/portland/r...t-of-portland/

You are free to love Oregon all you want but please try and keep to true facts and avoid the fake news propaganda. It just kills your credibility with future comments.
Nonsense. If you click through to the article you will find that they are talking ONLY income tax. Which is deceptive because Oregon has no sales tax whereas NYC and other cities like San Francisco have sales taxes in the 9% range. And those cities also have far higher property taxes.

Let's do a little comparison:

Oregon: 9.9% top income tax rate, no sales tax, and a median property tax bill of $2,241.00
New York: 10.9% top income tax rate, 8.9% sales tax and median property tax bill of $3,755.00
California: 12.3% top income tax rate, 8.9% sales tax and median property tax bill of $4,585

Now Portland has its own separate income tax of 1.5% for incomes over $125,000/$250,000 which goes up to 3% on income over $250,00/$400,000 but those are local taxes which people can avoid by not living and working in Portland and have no effect on Eastern Oregon. You can debate those all you want, but Portland voted for them. And no working family earning less than $250,000 is affected by them. Household incomes above $250,000 are in the top 5% for Portland, so hardly "working class families" And none of that has anything at all to do with Eastern Oregon.

And if you want to compare total CITY tax burdens in Portland compared to New York City, San Francisco, Los Angeles, etc. you will find they are dramatically lower. For example, the median property tax bill in San Francisco is $8,042. https://www.propertyshark.com/mason/...ncisco-County/

By contrast, the median property tax bill in Portland is $2,774: https://www.tax-rates.org/oregon/mul...y_property_tax

Now median property tax bills might be distorted by things like commercial buildings, parking lots, etc. But you can get roughly the same result by taking the median home price in each city and multiplying that by the property tax mill rate for each city. The numbers will be much higher if you do that. But it is probably more reflective of what someone moving in will be paying.

Last edited by texasdiver; 04-04-2023 at 04:04 PM..

Old 04-05-2023, 10:34 AM

2,678 posts, read 3,878,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Nonsense. If you click through to the article you will find that they are talking ONLY income tax. Which is deceptive because Oregon has no sales tax whereas NYC and other cities like San Francisco have sales taxes in the 9% range. And those cities also have far higher property taxes.

Let's do a little comparison:

Oregon: 9.9% top income tax rate, no sales tax, and a median property tax bill of $2,241.00
New York: 10.9% top income tax rate, 8.9% sales tax and median property tax bill of $3,755.00
California: 12.3% top income tax rate, 8.9% sales tax and median property tax bill of $4,585

Now Portland has its own separate income tax of 1.5% for incomes over $125,000/$250,000 which goes up to 3% on income over $250,00/$400,000 but those are local taxes which people can avoid by not living and working in Portland and have no effect on Eastern Oregon. You can debate those all you want, but Portland voted for them. And no working family earning less than $250,000 is affected by them. Household incomes above $250,000 are in the top 5% for Portland, so hardly "working class families" And none of that has anything at all to do with Eastern Oregon.

And if you want to compare total CITY tax burdens in Portland compared to New York City, San Francisco, Los Angeles, etc. you will find they are dramatically lower. For example, the median property tax bill in San Francisco is $8,042. https://www.propertyshark.com/mason/...ncisco-County/

By contrast, the median property tax bill in Portland is $2,774: https://www.tax-rates.org/oregon/mul...y_property_tax

Now median property tax bills might be distorted by things like commercial buildings, parking lots, etc. But you can get roughly the same result by taking the median home price in each city and multiplying that by the property tax mill rate for each city. The numbers will be much higher if you do that. But it is probably more reflective of what someone moving in will be paying.

Good Lord - you win!

OR is a bargain and well run efficient, organized state with logical leadership elected by an educated populous. Why would anyone want to leave.

Old 04-05-2023, 11:34 AM

1,265 posts, read 1,135,223 times
Plus, Idaho sales taxes everything: Food, medicine, restaurant bills, cars, boats, RVs, farm equipment, tools, services, etc. They are going hard after person to person sales at farmer's markets this year. They are requiring sellers to report cash sales, and the state is tracking credit/debit card sales. Nothing is exempt. You do get a sales tax credit on your income tax. You can itemize your sales tax receipts if you keep them all, or take the state's calculated amount based on your income. Regardless, you are out of pocket for everything and hope to get some portion of it back the next spring.

Oh, and all your online purchases are sales taxed too. No more free Amazon, Wayfair, Facebook marketplace, etc. purchases if you join Idaho. It's an added 6%.

Old 04-05-2023, 12:35 PM

10,076 posts, read 7,281,846 times
I've lived in 5 states. Oregon's tax burden is about in the middle of them.

No sales tax is a nice perk that adds up.

Old 04-05-2023, 12:36 PM

8,553 posts, read 4,813,818 times
The only time I’ve really heard a proposal to redraw Oregon was for the State of Jefferson folks, which has never truly gone anywhere.

Old 04-05-2023, 01:05 PM

1,323 posts, read 880,088 times
Quote:
Eastern Oregon people are concerned with topics like:
DEI
Environmental Nazism
Race based favoritism in Gov't spending (Ironically a severe form of racism)
Anti constitutional intrusion into life
Taxpayer funded baby murder
Over regulation of private land use and housing industry
Lousy public schools

One of the highest tax rates in country.

It would be interesting to see reactions if tides were turned. For example, it would not be hard to imagine the Blue Portland crowd burning down their own city if Oregon was turning redder.
Oregon's tax burden is only high if you have a high income, like above $80k. Most people in Eastern Oregon do not make enough to be impacted by Oregon's "high tax rates".

Old 04-05-2023, 01:48 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,087,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
Oregon's tax burden is only high if you have a high income, like above $80k. Most people in Eastern Oregon do not make enough to be impacted by Oregon's "high tax rates".
from Google....

"Every dollar above $10,200 is taxed 8.75% in Oregon, while many other states tax income under $75,000 around 5%. The effective tax rate in Oregon is somewhat lowered by the state's standard deduction and a personal exemption credit worth nearly $3,000, but the overall tax burden is still the highest of all states."

Old 04-05-2023, 02:25 PM

2,678 posts, read 3,878,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
I've lived in 5 states. Oregon's tax burden is about in the middle of them.

No sales tax is a nice perk that adds up.

Lack of Sales tax is in no way shape or form a 1:1 tradeoff for very high income tax. I find it interesting that tourism ranks as of one of the leading businesses here and yet this state more or less, lets visitors off by not having a sales tax ( I recognize their is some hotel tax).

Out of stater's generate a significant portion of Florida revenue and allows that state to not tax it's citizens on their income at all. I am no way claiming OR could ever generate tourism revenue like Florida but I bet several hundred million could roll in over a decade if state implemented a reasonable sales tax combined with a more reasonable income tax climate.

Most states do not charge sales tax on Food, medicine, utilities and the like. Idaho taxes food but then reimburses when income taxes are filed. A stupid, cumbersome process for which the state likely benefits financially but it is an attempt to provide some relief, I guess.

I live in Illinois for a few years. I was right in the heart of the beast - Cook County. (10% Sales tax - highest in the nation at the time.) I roughly calculated that a 10% sales tax took approx. 1% of my total income on an annual basis. Not great - but not nearly as bad as a 8-9% income tax on middle income wage.

I have lived in 4 different states. OR is without a doubt, the most greedy in terms of taking my hard earned money from me. And for that, I get the pleasure of seeing that money wasted on crap schools, killing of babies, encouraging more drug addled vagabonds to show up and excessive business regulations that hamper our abilities to make profit.

When the job I am working now is over, we will leave. I acknowledge that OR Progressive Democrats could care less and likely want like folks like me to leave anyway.

They can just keep the door open for more 20 something barista's, bar tenders and hobos I guess.

To sum up, I have no issue with some folks attempting to improve their lot by breaking away. While I see no path to successfully achieving it, they certainly have the right to pursue. They are using the laws and arguments in a legal and peaceful manner. They are not burning down their towns like moronic Portland BLM, Antifa, PROGRESSIVE people.

Old 04-05-2023, 09:43 PM

5,501 posts, read 7,805,881 times
Quote:
Lack of Sales tax is in no way shape or form a 1:1 tradeoff for very high income tax. I find it interesting that tourism ranks as of one of the leading businesses here and yet this state more or less, lets visitors off by not having a sales tax ( I recognize their is some hotel tax).

Out of stater's generate a significant portion of Florida revenue and allows that state to not tax it's citizens on their income at all. I am no way claiming OR could ever generate tourism revenue like Florida but I bet several hundred million could roll in over a decade if state implemented a reasonable sales tax combined with a more reasonable income tax climate.
Sales tax is the 3rd rail of Oregon politics. Go ahead and propose it as a politician and watch your career implode around you in real time. Seriously. Not going to ever happen.

Oregon and Washington would both gain if they managed to harmonize their tax systems to eliminate all the billions that are probably lost on both sides of the border through evasion. But that just isn't ever going to happen for a lot of complicated historical reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland