Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2013, 11:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,600 times

Advertisements

Hey guys 'n gals! I've found a lot of good information on this forum about Portland before I made the move, and so I wanted to finally make an appearance and try to contribute something back.

I've been here for about six months, and I will say a few things about my experience. First, yes, it is exceptionally hard to make it in Portland from the ground up. However. It can be done! If I did it, so can you. I have a decent apartment downtown, a full-time job, and everything stabilized. Granted it will take concerted effort and a fair amount of time, but if you stay focused and determined, you -will- find a job and you -will- find sufficient digs to call home.

I've got to run in a few minutes, so let me get to the theme of this thread. Making friends is very tough in Portland compared to other places I've lived, and since so many new transplants pass through this forum, I thought it would be a positive thing to start a thread in which people could actually make a real life connection and meet others who live in the city such as myself. I hope this would serve to assist them in their endeavors to further their own situations, and also, just to simply have someone to hang with from time to time! I'm a very busy guy, but I do have a wee bit of downtime, and in stark contrast. to the grossly prevalent cliqueishness that pervades the greater PDX area, I'm very open to meeting all different types of people and creating real friendships.

This thread of course is strictly voluntary, and while it has been erected in the vein of social engagement, it should really be used as a general meet and greet of sorts. Anyone who clicks with someone else in here, feel free to take it to private messaging and exchange contact information at your own behest!

I want something real to come of this thread. Something tangible in people's lives. And even for some of you old crusty native Portlanders(a joke, clarification for all those folks in here who lack a sense of humor), if you'd like a taste of a different locale, don't be shy and maybe you can meet someone new and learn something new.

I myself have been through a great deal in the half-year I have been here. I've navigated many pitfalls, had many ups and downs etc. But I made it through the gauntlets, and I'm doing well in Portland now. I did that not knowing a soul out here, and with very little money to begin with. It's no mean feat. I want to help any newcomers to the city as much as I can with tips on transit, work, and just any bit of information I can offer to give them an advantage. I see too much negativity all too often in this forum, and I think we need to be more encouraging and positive in helping the transplants who come here instead of warding them off.

In case you haven't noticed, it's a little to late for that kind of behavior. Many years late. Portland has long since been "invaded" as the locals say, and the trend is not going to reverse.

This thread is for positive input only. If you're simply a pathetic person who finds some cheap thrill in bringing others down, at least stay out of this one thread. It's hard enough moving to a new strange city. Help make it easier for folks rather than more miserable.

So that's it! Anyone who has any personal questions about the city regarding their situation is free to message me in private, and also, if you're looking to make some new friends in your new city, this is the place to start! Introduce yourself, give us a little blurb on your situation, and what you're into etc. Hopefully you will find someone like-minded who lives close by, and can have a real friend to hang out with in the city in the near future!

Portland has been good to me. But that's because I've not scorned Portland. That's the first rule:

Respect the lady.

For she is a lady, and she has a lady's disposition.

Welcome all you newcomers to the Rose City!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 10:40 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,654,518 times
If you want to make a great friend help them move.
Help them make a home repair.
Help with a gardening project.
Help a friend help someone else.

I have made great friends of people by lending a hand when they need it.

No I dont live in PDX now. Born and lived there for over 40 years. Now I just visit family and friends a few times a year.

Best ice breaker ever was helping a senior as a kid do some yard chores. In return I got hours of local history. Priceless.

Old 12-02-2013, 04:37 PM

8 posts, read 14,398 times
I'm not there yet but plan on being there in the spring. I appreciate this post as someone who is "researching" pre-move. One thing that strikes me the most as I read through similar relocation threads is how welcoming everyone is here and how positive in advice and sentiment.
I'm originally from Boston (though I've lived in four other states), but moved to Texas about three years ago. Believe me when I say to you, I am literally fleeing this place as fast as I can. This is the most culturally and socially suffocating place I have ever lived. I've been "sticking it out" for far too long and have come to the conclusion that it's over and it's "not going to happen".

People have been telling me for years how much I would like Portland and the PNW in general, and I so badly wish I had chosen PDX three years ago instead of here. My parents' moving to TX a few years before me and the obvious difference in distance sort of made the call for me, but now I realize what a mistake I've made. But at least I'm halfway there now, right? Lol.

I'm loosely planning on the spring, with no exact date yet. But do have a trip planned the first week of February to check it out and hopefully make some professional connections before I get out there. I've already have a tentative interview and will be working on more.My best friend from high school and I are sorely overdue for a visit anyway and we recently discovered our mutual interest in the area, so we committed to a vacay together while I do this little change of plans.

This is exactly the kind of thing I would be interested in once I do get there. It's a great way to meet people in a new city and you already have something major in common from the start. Have you considered doing something more "in person" and public? Even just for coffee or beers, not necessarily a full on dinner commitment.

I have a lot of questions but it's probably more appropriate to save them for my own posts, no need to hijack this one. Lol. I also wanted to make a point of saying that even though you mention the ups and downs, it sounds like you're doing a hell of a lot better in six months than I am after three solid years in your new city. I guess that tells me everything I need to know. I'm on the right track. Thanks for the hope.

Old 12-02-2013, 05:27 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,544,218 times
I really like Portland (I'm sure I'd prefer it to anywhere in Texas), but I wouldn't say it is the most welcoming place in the world. None of our neighbors want anything to do with us... superficially, a couple of them had seemed welcoming at first. However, I have made two close friends since moving here two years ago. That makes things a little easier. (Your experience may be different.)

Old 12-02-2013, 05:48 PM

537 posts, read 1,243,828 times
I moved here six months ago too, and I am in a similar situation. Things have smoothed over, and I definitely feel like I'm getting back into my rhythm. I actually get a vacation soon too, so I plan on doing a lot of cycling and visiting places I haven't had the time to visit. I'm already anxious thinking about it.

From my experience, I've found that making friends in Portland is no different than any other place. But then again, I'm extremely introverted in real life and tend to make friends with a select few people. And really, it's the way I prefer it. I guess that's why I feel so welcome here. I don't have people all up in my business.

I will say that my neighbors are wonderful. The first day I went to sign the papers for my duplex, I met my next door neighbor, and she was wonderful. I soon met my other neighbors, and they were equally as welcoming and helpful. I think I kind of lucked out in that aspect.

I think what made my move alone here so successful is that I didn't glamorize Portland, nor did I think my own problems would be solved if I moved here. This was just the next step I wanted to make, and I knew I was emotionally ready to do it.

At times I do get homesick but mainly for friends, especially my best friend. It's difficult finding other people who get Kids in the Hall references... and laugh. But in six months, I think I've accomplished more than I thought. It's crazy what moving can do to a person. Glad you started this thread!

Old 12-02-2013, 07:20 PM

8 posts, read 14,398 times
The Eradicator!

Old 12-04-2013, 12:15 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,452,262 times
I'm not new to the area, but about 6 years ago went through a traumatic, life-changing event. Once I got the ground back under my feet, I realized my dear friends couldn't be responsible for me and if I wanted an active social life, I had to pursue that on my own. In the past couple of years, I've made several good friends through Meetup (which contrary to the reputation it seems to be getting lately is NOT an online dating site).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: