Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2013, 08:53 PM

222 posts, read 471,534 times

Advertisements

It's a sad story, but the cat fully survived. A SE Portland man buys a plant at New Season's Market. The plant was labeled not for human consumption. His cat ate some of the the plant and got very sick. Now the owner is suing New Seasons and the plant company for not labeling the plant (a lily) as "unreasonably dangerous". Any opinions out there?

Southeast Portland cat's dialysis after eating lily triggers lawsuit against New Seasons | OregonLive.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 09:38 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,074,966 times

That's how I feel about it. I have dogs. Nothing, except maybe hazardous materials ever state that it's dangerous to pets/animals. So why would this idiot expect that on a plant? OMG. I hate people that don't take responsibility for their animals. You own it, you should know if it's harmful to your cat or not.

Besides, even if the company labels it as "unreasonably dangerous" the next person who sues will say, "it didn't specify to whom (or what) it is unreasonably dangerous to.

Quote:
Gee argues that the responsibility lies entirely on the retailer and wholesaler to disclose the risk -- not on cat owners to know it themselves.
WTF?!?! and OMFG!?!?!

Sorry, he's going to lose. Period. Why? Can you see companies having to put warnings for all pets (from cats, dogs, rats, to ferrets, hedgehogs, etc) on EVERYTHING! Do you see a warning on peanut butter that it's dangerous to dogs? What about grapes, chocolate, poinsettias, tons of plants, etc.

What an irresponsible idiot.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:52 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,535,014 times
It's a cat..... Cats eat all sorts of **** and do all sorts of things that can kill them. So do Dogs... The only reason this man is suing is because he knows he can get a big settlement from New Season's Market. If a friend gave him the plant and it hurt his cat... there would be no money therefore no lawsuit.

Frivolous and stupid. New Seasons will settle out of court for the cost of the vet bill and some hush money. New Seasons dosen't owe him a damn thing. If it's not safe for humans then it's obvious it's not safe for cats.

As for "unreasonably dangerous" that's BS, it's a plant.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:04 PM

192 posts, read 455,063 times
It is our responsibility to know what everyday items pose a hazard to those in our care - pets, children, etc. Most cat owners I know are already aware that lilies are dangerous to cats. The information is readily available. This guy apparently had failed to avail himself of the information, but the label warning about the plant being "not for human consumption" should have been a tipoff. He's just trying to get someone else to pay for his ER vet bills.

In case anyone reading along needs or wants to know, here is some pet poison info, including the number to poison control hotline for pets.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:04 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,157,398 times
If anyone is stupid enough to think that something that's not fit for human consumption is okay for cats to consume, they're too stupid to own a cat.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:09 AM

57 posts, read 134,282 times
So would cats eat this of their own volition? I may or may not have a problem with cats hopping my fence and digging up my backyard...

Old 08-28-2013, 08:48 AM

192 posts, read 455,063 times
I think cats that roam outdoors would be more likely to eat grass than ornamental plants. It seems that indoor cat are the ones at greater risk to eat whatever plants are brought into the house.

Some people have had success using a motion activated sprinkler to discourage cats from visiting their garden.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:10 PM

222 posts, read 471,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
If anyone is stupid enough to think that something that's not fit for human consumption is okay for cats to consume, they're too stupid to own a cat.
I thought the very same thing!!

Old 08-29-2013, 07:04 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,978,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonpostal View Post
It's a sad story, but the cat fully survived. A SE Portland man buys a plant at New Season's Market. The plant was labeled not for human consumption. His cat ate some of the the plant and got very sick. Now the owner is suing New Seasons and the plant company for not labeling the plant (a lily) as "unreasonably dangerous". Any opinions out there?

Southeast Portland cat's dialysis after eating lily triggers lawsuit against New Seasons | OregonLive.com
The cat owner is greedy. As the OWNER it is HIS responsibility to know what is dangerous for his cat.

He's selfish, greedy, and irresponsible.

Old 08-31-2013, 09:46 AM

1,257 posts, read 2,656,407 times
Default Put the cat in protective custody.

if YOU bought the lily and put it in your home with your cat, You are responsible.

If my dog chewed the TV power cable, who do I sue PGE or Samsung or both?

(putting peanut butter on the power cable and waiting for legal counsel).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: