Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 11:38 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,543,983 times

Advertisements

Also... the fireworks are STILL going off. I don't know what nearby moron thinks this is OK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 11:42 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
I don't mind pretty fireworks and sparklers and even the ones that go pop. It's the bottle rockets and the mortars and the heavy duty ones that do damage. They always seem to get into the hands of idiots who do damage to others. Like the guy who shot off some kind of mortar thing who burned the 16 year old I was talking about in my original post.

These things need to be banned because they hurt people very badly. They are weapons and nothing more. There is no need for them. I saw one of my friends today who attended the other friend's barbeque. She said the neighbor didn't have the heavy duty ones this year. Apparently, the other neighbors weren't the coward my barbeque giving friend was. They too had the debris falling in their yards on them and on their kids. They did complain. So this year was a lot more safe.

Still, I think I was better safe than potentially sorry. She missed a few other attendees for the same reason I was told so I think she finally realized saying something to the bomb exploding neighbor would have been the correct thing to do.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:48 PM

780 posts, read 1,577,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I don't mind pretty fireworks and sparklers and even the ones that go pop. It's the bottle rockets and the mortars and the heavy duty ones that do damage. They always seem to get into the hands of idiots who do damage to others. Like the guy who shot off some kind of mortar thing who burned the 16 year old I was talking about in my original post.

These things need to be banned because they hurt people very badly. They are weapons and nothing more. There is no need for them. I saw one of my friends today who attended the other friend's barbeque. She said the neighbor didn't have the heavy duty ones this year. Apparently, the other neighbors weren't the coward my barbeque giving friend was. They too had the debris falling in their yards on them and on their kids. They did complain. So this year was a lot more safe.

Still, I think I was better safe than potentially sorry. She missed a few other attendees for the same reason I was told so I think she finally realized saying something to the bomb exploding neighbor would have been the correct thing to do.
I completely agree with that first pair of sentences. Leave the big ones to the professionals, IMO.

Last night, some folks in our neighborhood had their annual street party and a group was setting off the big WA boomers like usual. Until the Happy Valley police showed up and wrote out a rather sizeable fine. It was very nice and quiet after 10:30 and so far tonight.

Plus my dog isn't cowering under the bed.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:09 AM

99 posts, read 155,385 times
It's the 4th of July people!! Look at what you are saying: People are shooting off 'Illegal Fireworks'. REALLY???? Is that what this country is all about?? We fight for freedom over generations to preserve the American way, to have & do the things we want and to showcase ourselves to the rest of the world and then we legislate things like fireworks to be illegal?...... And people actually ***** & complain about them going off over a couple of days???? Are you serious??? You can go buy a gun at anytime to shoot off, you can buy booze and drive a car, you can access just about anything illegal/immoral/dangerous how-to-do on-line, yet we choose to 'make fireworks illegal' on the day of the USA's birthday and while we celebrate how great & free we are in the USA? What is wrong with this equation? Seems a little contradictory to me? We are so great and free and have liberties here in the USA but we will arrest you for shooting off fireworks on Americas birthday. It's OK to have your gun and to booze it up all day, but god forbid you light off a bottle rocket or firecracker.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:17 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times
Americans fought for the freedom to govern themselves, not to do whatever they want, wherever they want, wherever they want. Laws have been written for the good of all. They should be followed.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:26 AM

99 posts, read 155,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Americans fought for the freedom to govern themselves, not to do whatever they want, wherever they want, wherever they want. Laws have been written for the good of all. They should be followed.

Yeah, yeah, yeah...... Let's legislate/regulate everything on every level in all parts of society. That's what freedom is! And that's certainly what our forefathers wanted and what America is supposed to be. Ever notice that most legislation is either a knee-jerk over-reaction to some major event or happening or legislation is the result of big money/special interest groups that lobby to get their agendas passed. Most of our laws are ridiculous and have nothing to do with 'the good of all' but rather the desires of a few. We aren't governing ourselves but rather are being governed by inept special interest groups who vote for laws based on money and re-election possibilities.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:15 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyBilly View Post
Yeah, yeah, yeah...... Let's legislate/regulate everything on every level in all parts of society. That's what freedom is! And that's certainly what our forefathers wanted and what America is supposed to be. Ever notice that most legislation is either a knee-jerk over-reaction to some major event or happening or legislation is the result of big money/special interest groups that lobby to get their agendas passed. Most of our laws are ridiculous and have nothing to do with 'the good of all' but rather the desires of a few. We aren't governing ourselves but rather are being governed by inept special interest groups who vote for laws based on money and re-election possibilities.
As usual, not enough brain power to understand the actual topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland