Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 08:00 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,932,166 times

Advertisements

I didn't need to call the police since the explosions were not right near my property. I think our neighborhood is lucky to have mostly courteous neighbors and we are thankful the noise was not that bad this year. I would call the police if the explosions had come too close, however. It is not our right, as American citizens, to blow things up. Period. Done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 08:49 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,561,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
Glad you guys are all about freedom and independence. Nothing like stories of citizen "whiners" calling cops on neighbors.

In the grand scheme of life, fireworks can be a lot of fun. Yes - mishandled, they can cause injury and damage just like so many other things.

The fact that dumbed down, do-gooders in Salem made them illegal in OR; doesn't make them bad.

Further think about what you saying when you make ridiculous comments about "banning" things.

What a bland world it would be if gov't "made you safe" from everything.
Did you see on the news how the 16 year old boy sustained 3 degree burns on his back protecting his girlfriend when his neighbor celebrated his so-called "freedom" by throwing illegal fireworks around? Doctors say he will never heal properly. He will be looking at a lifetime of pain. And the the criminal who was responsible had this smug look on his face as if he could not care in the least. This was just one of the stories shown today about the properties and injuries that were sustained by other innocent parties while others celebrating their "freedoms" on the news today.

We are not talking about little sparklers here either.

The big bombs are banned because they are weapons in the hand of morons who point them in the directions of others who often get hurt. They have nothing to do with the celebration of freedom. They are just indications of stupid people use excuses to explode things but who make sure that they are the ones who don't get hurt by aiming them away from themselves and their property.

The exceptions are the really stupid people who actually don't have the sense to aim these weapons away from themselves. But they deserve what they get. Yes, the government has to save us from stupid, ignorant people because there is no one else to do it. The fire department and police try but they always fail because the morons are to dumb to understand. So the legislature has to step in. Too bad, but that's the only way the lowest of Society can be shown they are not alone in their own little world.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:27 PM

Nice post, Minervah! I am glad I have come back to CD... great posts from the ladies! Wow!

Old 07-05-2013, 10:34 PM

Thanks, Turquiose, for the link. The 4th of July reveler threw the illegal firework and took off! More like arsonist!

Old 07-05-2013, 11:31 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,548,859 times
I know, Yankeemama -
It is STILL going on in my neighborhood. I found a bottle rocket pretty close to my window.

It is anarchy here, and the police either do not care or they are too understaffed.

I'm beginning to think that Portland just does not care about quality of life issues at all.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:01 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,561,293 times
A few small ones went off tonight and a larger one in the distance. I hope that's all. But this year is quiet as compared to years past. It must have been one person who for many years began a week before the fourth and continued the week after. And that person used bottle rockets. At one time, you could walk through the neighborhood and see the debris. A really long time ago, teenagers would light them right in broad daylight.

Neighbors did call the cops during those times but nothing seemed to come of it. Or maybe it did. Either that person was finally caught last year or he moved. But last night was pretty bad.

I am hoping that the people who cause fire damage and injuries are not only fined for their use of illegal fireworks but are also tried as arsonists because isn't that what they are?

Old 07-06-2013, 12:02 AM

Turquoise,
I am sorry to hear this esp. since you moved from NYC almost two years now? I remember you loving Sellwood. It is supposed to be family friendly and the streets look very well maintained. I am kind of surprised to hear that you still are experiencing so much noise. I know as a mother with small kids, that sucks. I have found that each little Portland neighborhood has it's own distinct personality and one neighborhood just a few blocks away can be very different than the one you are in. That is how my hood is. I live near Laurelhurst but not as manicured and affluent. Different than Hollywood and its next door. The experience you are having is def. not everywhere in Portland, I think, but the police being understaffed is city wide. In general, Portland has more illegal foreworks in the streets than most cities I have lived in. I hope it gets better for you soon.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:04 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,993,298 times
It does suck, but if you're having problems in your neighborhood, you need to call the cops rather than expect them to just show up. I think that Portland does care about "quality of life issues," but law enforcement can't be everywhere at once. The police have confiscated thousands of dollars worth of illegal fireworks yesterday and today and plan on continuing throughout the weekend., so I'd hardly say that they "just don't care."

Old 07-06-2013, 12:18 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,548,859 times
Yankeemama, we actually moved around Mt. Tabor. It seems very family-friendly but I'm surprised at the amount of fireworks that have been set off. We did call the cops but to me they seem pretty apathetic. I have lived all over the country and in other countries and I have never witnessed this level of apathy/incompetence. Thank you for your understanding, Yankeemama and Minervah! I always like chatting with you.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:34 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,993,298 times
They have to prioritize calls right now; sounds like that's hard for you to understand. I hardly see the point in calling them incompetent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland