Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 05:08 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,160,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fojo View Post
It does make me wonder (just a little bit) what the motivation was to choose that memorable Radiohead phrase as one's username, though.
hahaha, it's just my default username for a long time. it started with an inside joke with someone that led to the pet name "Piggie." when i started listening to radiohead, it just seemed to fit... good job knowing the radiohead reference!

and on second thought, if you meant that i must be a gucci little piggy because i want to move to suburbia instead of portland proper, i never thought about it that way, but you may be on to something....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 05:11 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,160,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
Nothing personal against people who like the suburbs, but I always wonder what the point of moving to a specific area is for if you're just going to strive to live in the suburbs anyway, since they all tend to kind of be similar no matter where you are in the country! I mean, there are more trees here but the suburbs are pretty similar to anywhere else in the country! Same stores, you need a car, etc. I do understand the school/kid thing or a job transfer but....
simple: i like the climate, the area, the food, the beer/wine, and portland. i also like to drive. i just don't want to be living in a completely urban area all the time. i also find it makes you appreciate a city more if you have to travel just a bit to get there. sort of like not wanting to work 2 miles from your home... it's convenient, but you never get to be anywhere outside of that little zone.

and i haven't ruled out living in portland itself at all. i'm just doing my best to see all the options.

Old 10-17-2007, 05:44 PM

147 posts, read 578,403 times
Portland people tend to look down on the surrounding suburbs for some reason.
I lived in Hillsboro for 7 years and I liked it just fine.
A winery is 15 minutes drive, we got New Season a few blocks away, local traffic is light, many good Mexican restaurants, cheaper neighborhood restaurants, yard space and larger houses. It's just cheaper and more convenient than living in the city.
Restaurants in Portland are generally more expensive too.
Yes, you need a car.

I'm back in Portland now though, I'm a city boy.

Old 10-17-2007, 05:57 PM

47 posts, read 215,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
Nothing personal against people who like the suburbs, but I always wonder what the point of moving to a specific area is for if you're just going to strive to live in the suburbs anyway, since they all tend to kind of be similar no matter where you are in the country! I mean, there are more trees here but the suburbs are pretty similar to anywhere else in the country! Same stores, you need a car, etc. I do understand the school/kid thing or a job transfer but....
The desire to experience something different whilst not wanting to compromise the qualities one values?

Like changing the condiment on a sandwich?

Or buying a newer model sedan?

Old 10-17-2007, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciLittlePiggie View Post
simple: i like the climate, the area, the food, the beer/wine, and portland. i also like to drive. i just don't want to be living in a completely urban area all the time. i also find it makes you appreciate a city more if you have to travel just a bit to get there. sort of like not wanting to work 2 miles from your home... it's convenient, but you never get to be anywhere outside of that little zone.

and i haven't ruled out living in portland itself at all. i'm just doing my best to see all the options.
These are all very good reasons to live in Beaverton. You will like it, I'm sure. After Southern California, I was ready to be done with some things. To each their own.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciLittlePiggie View Post
hahaha, it's just my default username for a long time. it started with an inside joke with someone that led to the pet name "Piggie." when i started listening to radiohead, it just seemed to fit... good job knowing the radiohead reference!

and on second thought, if you meant that i must be a gucci little piggy because i want to move to suburbia instead of portland proper, i never thought about it that way, but you may be on to something....
The context of the lyrics are quite critical and despairing though and so your username struck me as a bit ironic. It's kind of something I'd expect to see on a hipster tee-shirt

Old 10-17-2007, 10:56 PM

920 posts, read 2,814,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo4 View Post
Portland people tend to look down on the surrounding suburbs for some reason.
They do, and I don't know why. It strikes me as very snobbish.

Old 10-18-2007, 10:39 AM

2,430 posts, read 6,632,363 times
I'm not a snob, I just prefer the city over suburbs. That goes across the board not just in the Portland area!

Old 10-18-2007, 03:47 PM

8,816 posts, read 21,286,964 times
It does make me wonder (just a little bit) what the motivation was to choose that memorable Radiohead phrase as one's username, though.

I guess I am too old to know what the memorable phrase is.

Old 10-18-2007, 03:49 PM

8,816 posts, read 21,286,964 times
There's always Flexcar too.

What is flexcar?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland