Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 03:14 PM

13 posts, read 40,392 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am looking to move to the Portland area soon. My budget can't afford the Pearl District, however I would like to know what city living is like. I have heard about Hillsdale area as well. I guess my questions for the locals is this. What's the difference between living in Beaverton where the prices are reasonable for housing, and jobs look plentiful.... versus living in close in Portland say the SE area or Goose Hollow? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I have savings to use though I have been looking/applying for jobs it seems as though employers won't even consider me for an interview and I'm guessing it's because I am not local. Any advice for this noob wanting affordable housing and friendly people would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 03:32 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,545,338 times
Beaverton is a much more suburban and strip-mall vibe. You don't have to live in the Pearl District to live in Portland. Maybe you should try the east side of the river, like Hawthorne District or Sellwood - there are commercial strips there but also a lot of houses.

Old 10-08-2011, 04:24 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,484,276 times
What is your budget? The close in neighborhoods are pretty expensive but probably not as expensive as the Pearl. Around Hawthorne, one bedrooms go for around $900 unless you are lucky and can find a landlord who tries to keep the rental price down. Mine does, his one bedrooms are still in the $800's.

It will be easier for you to look for work after moving here. The competition for most jobs is very, very high. But that also depends upon what type of job you are going for.

Hillsdale is a nice area although not as "citified" as NE or SE. But you may find it less expensive and it is minutes away from downtown Portland.

Old 10-08-2011, 04:28 PM

Is the Hawthorne Disctrict a nice area? Some people have recommended it... I was also looking at going to OCI but thought the Hawthorne District might be too far away from the Goose Hollow area.... decisions decisions!

Old 10-08-2011, 04:30 PM

I'm looking for a one bedroom around $800.... I'd love to sell my SUV and walk to everything (I love public transportation)... I have 2 cats too and refuse to pay "pet rent!" They are senior cats... they hardly do anything! haha...

Old 10-08-2011, 04:34 PM

51 posts, read 224,159 times
Beaverton has some cute neighborhoods. Lots of trees. Everyone in the city loves to hate on Beaverton, but it can be charming in parts. It is a lot less expensive to live. Yes there are the strip malls, but also more convenient shopping. If you're car centric, Beaverton is for you. There is usually ample free parking any where you go. Unlike downtown. Downtown is made for the walker and bus and bike rider. Thats not to say you can't get around Beaverton on a bus or bike, but it's not as convenient sometimes.

Old 10-08-2011, 04:41 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,545,338 times
Hawthorne is very accessible by bus.

Old 10-08-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babysmyles View Post
I'm looking for a one bedroom around $800.... I'd love to sell my SUV and walk to everything (I love public transportation)... I have 2 cats too and refuse to pay "pet rent!" They are senior cats... they hardly do anything! haha...
I have lived in this neighborhood for over 20 years and I like it a lot. I never had a car; there is good public transportation and shopping is nearby.

It is a popular neighborhood and all a landlord has to do is put out a sign For Rent and within an hour the place can be rented. There are property management companies that will have listings of available apartments. One that people tell me is good is American Properties Managment. I think they have listings online. I have never dealt with them personally but
I know they manage a lot of apatments in the Hawthorne neighborhood and other areas.

I don't know about the $800 rental. That may not be easy to find in the Hawthorne area. Most rental signs I come across are for more. You may not have to pay pet rent but you will be charged a pet fee to move in anywhere you go.

Old 10-08-2011, 04:45 PM

Check this out. It gives a description of various Portland neighborhoods.

Portland Neighborhoods Guide - Portland Oregon

Old 10-08-2011, 06:43 PM

600 posts, read 1,469,920 times
Differences would be price, commute to the city, residential area overall and character/charm factor. I am going to assume you would be renting. Hillsdale will be cheaper than Goose Hollow/SE because its in the suburbs. It will also be quieter and not have as much of a city vibe to it. There's lots more charm and character to the homes and neighborhoods in SE/GH as opposed to Hillsdale. Commute from Hillsdale to downtown will be a tad longer than SE/GH but not by much. And Hillsdale is not in Beaverton, it's in Portland/Multnomah County. It's very close to Multnomah Village which does have a lot of cute shops, good restaurants and a little bit of that charm to it. The Hawthorne district is nice too but not on your budget. The closer in proximity you are to downtown and the neat little neighborhoods the more expensive. I would start looking in Hillsdale if you want to stay near your budget and go from there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: