Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 04:04 PM

7 posts, read 18,864 times

Advertisements

We live in Carlsbad, CA and we love it here, but it's crazy stupid expensive so we are considering moving up to Portland/Vancouver area. Although we live in So Cal now, my husband & I are originally from VT and MN, so we miss the lush green grass & tall trees, which is one of the reasons we are attached to Portland. We have three boys, ages 10, 8 & 6. What we are looking for is:
* A larger, newer home with some elbow room - preferably where we can have horses (or facilities nearby - we are trail-riders NOT showers, so we aren't looking for a fancy barn)
* A community with a neighborhood feel, with other families my kids' age
* Great schools for the boys - they are currently in a charter school which we love
* Access to community or school sports leagues for the boys - they are especially into baseball, swimming & horseback riding
* Easy access to a library, Whole Foods/Trader Joe's type stores, Target, etc (don't mind driving 10 minutes or so, but within 15 at the most)
* An area where I can horseback ride, SUP & kayak
* Within 15-20 minutes of restaurants & shopping
* Within 45 minutes of a decent-sized airport

We are attracted to the Portland/Vancouver area because my husband & I are outdoorsy people who want to be near both mountains & water. We love the ocean but grew up near lakes, so we're ok with that too. We like college-type towns (we lived in Austin for 5 years before moving to CA) that are energetic and involved. We are also looking at Denver/Boulder area, but are concerned with the lack of lakes/water, and moving back to Austin is always an option too, but we both are really missing the green that we grew up with in VT and MN.

Does anyone have recommendations of areas where we should look? Or areas to avoid? It's a big move so we want to be sure we end up in the right place for us.

Also, are there major weather differences between Portland & its suburbs and Vancouver & its suburbs?

Thanks so much for your time & help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 04:37 PM

600 posts, read 1,468,771 times
I would suggest West Linn, Wilsonville, Tualatin, Beaverton/Hillsboro, Sherwood and Forest Grove especially if you love to ride. All those areas except for Forest Grove and Sherwood, are 15-20 mins from downtown and about 45 to the airport in moderate traffic. They are also areas with great schools (West Linn in particular) and have homes with lots of property if you need/want that. These are also the areas where lots of folks board their horses and horse facilities.
Beaverton, Hillsboro, Forest Grove will be closer to the beach which is about an hour or so away west. Hagg Lake is out here too. If you want Mt. Hood, its an hour and a half the other direction.
Either location is close to Target, grocery shopping and restaurants. Maybe not the better restaurants but its not a long drive to get to them.
The Portland metro area is not a college-type town. Its pretty much a lot of urban sprawl with a downtown in the middle.
As far as weather goes, there is no difference between the rainy, grey weather we get and what Vancouver gets unless youre referring to BC, which in reality probably isnt much different either

Old 06-04-2012, 06:59 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
You should look for places near where you're going to work. Realistically you're going to find everything you want to some degree or another no matter where you look in the Portland area.

Except for the Horse thing. You're going to have to look out past Hillsboro, Camas, St. Helens, or in Clackamas County for that. Very few places that would allow you to have horses are going to be within 10-15 minutes of a Whole Foods or Target. There are plenty of stables though so you could live closer and travel to the horse.

Your only airport is realistically Portland airport. There are smaller airports, but they tend to feed into PDX or into another larger airport like Seattle or Salt Lake.

If you're set on a College-like town, you're pretty much going to want to look at Corvallis or Eugene, neither of which are actually in the Portland area.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:59 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times
I'd look out towards Battle Ground, Washington. Between there and Vancouver. It's rural enough, but will have the stores nearby. And I-205 gives you good airport access.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:54 PM

Thank you for your help. My husband will be working from home, although he does travel, which is why we need reasonable proximity to the airport.

Does it make sense to live in WA because of the no income tax thing, or does it average out in other ways?

How are Camas & Washougal? I've seen a few things in both of those towns that look nice.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:57 AM

600 posts, read 1,468,771 times
Camas would be nice too

Old 06-05-2012, 11:25 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amykelly View Post
Thank you for your help. My husband will be working from home, although he does travel, which is why we need reasonable proximity to the airport.

Does it make sense to live in WA because of the no income tax thing, or does it average out in other ways?
You can probably get away with paying fewer taxes, by doing most of your shopping in Oregon. That'll save you the sales taxes that you have to pay in Washington, and the income tax you'll have to pay if you live in Oregon. But generally speaking, it does even out. They'll get you to pay one way or another.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:57 AM

Are there neighborhoods that are somewhat rural in Camas? Is Washougal much different - they are close to each other on the map.

Also, realistically, what's the weather like? I am spoiled here in So Cal and Austin before that, but I am used to real weather, having lived 30 years in VT, IL & MN. I know there is a lot of rain, but does it rain all day or is it just gray with some drizzles?

Old 06-05-2012, 02:48 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amykelly View Post
Also, realistically, what's the weather like? I am spoiled here in So Cal and Austin before that, but I am used to real weather, having lived 30 years in VT, IL & MN. I know there is a lot of rain, but does it rain all day or is it just gray with some drizzles?
Here's just up the river a few miles from Camas, about two years ago, early June.

And at the Fort Stevens, in March 2008, and 2011

And just for comparison, here is downtown Portland last November.

So imagine that, with the occasional rain and mist, and since you're looking at the Gorge, add 20-60mpg winds that gust through the area.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:34 PM

wow - gorgeous pix! I can do gray...I can do rain too, but if it was every day I might have to think twice. As I mentioned, after 10 years of Austin then San Diego, my husband & I are really craving green lush landscape with tall trees & mountains. Is the fall rainy too, or just winter & spring?

I assume Camas & Washougal are "the Gorge" you referred to - is it always windy there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland