Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2011, 01:05 PM

19 posts, read 42,508 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised in a small town in Washington State (Tenino). When I turned nineteen, I moved to Houston Texas for a little adventure and ended up staying for four years (but not for any reason having to do with the city itself). I am ready to move back to the West Coast and be closer to my family.

I am torn between Portland or Vancouver. I am a female in my early twenties. I have five years experience as a food server, one year experience in fine dining. I am trying to get back into school though, a technical/medical degree in diagnostic medical sonography has struck my interest as of late.

I enjoy living in the city and being so close to everything, but plan on making many trips north to Castle Rock, WA to visit my family.

If I could find an apartment with trash, garbage, and water included for under $620 that was also SAFE and in a happenin' area, I would be ecstatic.

- Schools
- Good night life when I need a break from my fairly introverted lifestyle (I'm a big-time nerd/gamer)
- Safe area for a young single woman
- Good area for jobs in the food service industry

I will have a car, but I am left completely confused as to where to take the next step in deciding where to go... Vancouver or Portland? I know they are only across a bridge from each other, but I also believe from what I have read that they are quite different.

Any advice would be MUCH appreciated!

Some of the things I did not like about Houston:

The crime (I had a gun put to my face in the mailroom a couple months ago)
The ghetto areas and people
How "dirty" the city feels (the air smells like cancer)
The humidity (ew, sticky)
There is almost TOO much going on here.

I have never spent very much time in either Portland or Vancouver, but I know I am going to be moving to one of these two cities. I want to be far enough from my parents that I have a little space but close enough that I can make easy trips up over the weekend to see them and the rest of my family. Plus, I love what I have heard and seen in both of these places. I just can't decide on one. I am trying to weigh the PROS and CONS but I need some help! =)

Thanks so much!
Joelle

Last edited by aluckyducky; 08-20-2011 at 01:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 08:35 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
The problem you will have is finding a good job in the food service industry. I believe you will have better opportunities (such as they are) in Portland vs Vancouver.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:34 PM

Are jobs really that hard to come by over there? Here in Houston I have had no problem finding a job... ever.

Old 08-21-2011, 01:21 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aluckyducky View Post
Are jobs really that hard to come by over there? Here in Houston I have had no problem finding a job... ever.
Yes. There are people here who have been out of work for a year or more. The food service industry is pretty will flooded with applicants but from what I have read, the turnover is pretty high so you may have a chance.

But you can do some research and start applying now to see what may come up. Or just take a look at the want ads on Craigs List or the Orgeonisn.

Jobs are scarce and competition is fierce but there are some who are able to find them.

Old 08-22-2011, 05:13 AM

1,591 posts, read 3,428,020 times
Portland doesn't really have any of those things you didn't like about Houston.

Do you mean Vancouver, Canada or Washington? The one in Washington is basically a suburb like any other, so it's up to you to decide city or suburb in that case, the city itself is a pretty nice, easy place to live, I would really recommend you start there. If you mean the Vancouver in Canada that's a whole new ballgame...

Old 08-22-2011, 09:43 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,442,036 times
Work and live in Portland. Vancouver (as much as they want to deny it,) is just a suburb of Portland. You won't make enough money living in Vancouver and working in Portland to offset the tax issues you'll see.

$620 is going to push it for rent though. You'll need to pick up a roommate to make ends meet and to live in a "safe" area. On the other hand, any bad areas around are going to be drug users in doorways, drug dealers on the corner, and domestic abuse type crimes along with car prowlers. Nothing like murders, and dodging bullets.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:38 PM

Okay, what are some areas that I want to stay away from during my apartment hunt? And what tax issues will I see if I am living in Vancouver and working/going to school in Portland?

And yes, I meant Vancouver in Washington. I will be going to a technical school or community college for a degree in diagnostic medical sonography (ultrasound).

Old 08-24-2011, 09:38 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,442,036 times
You'll end up paying taxes on both sides of the river. I can't give you exact numbers as it changes from person to person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland