Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 04:14 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,442,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amykelly View Post
wow - gorgeous pix! I can do gray...I can do rain too, but if it was every day I might have to think twice. As I mentioned, after 10 years of Austin then San Diego, my husband & I are really craving green lush landscape with tall trees & mountains. Is the fall rainy too, or just winter & spring?
It's grey from Early Fall to Late Spring. Sometimes we get a break or two in there, even once in December a couple of years ago we had 70+. Then heavy snow a couple of weeks later.

Quote:
I assume Camas & Washougal are "the Gorge" you referred to - is it always windy there?
They're at the "mouth" of the Columbia River Gorge, which is a designated National Scenic Area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 06:08 PM

600 posts, read 1,468,909 times
Fall can be rainy too. Its safe to assume 9 months of the year will be cold, rainy and cloudy with a handful of sunny days thrown in there for good measure. We are still getting snow in the mountain passes here this week

Old 06-05-2012, 06:16 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
If you want to keep the horses at home, you will have better luck looking in Washington, where the land use laws are more lenient. Small acreage on the Oregon side comes at a premium, though if you can afford 3 kids and 5 horses, maybe that's not an issue for you.

Washington residents who work in Oregon do not pay Oregon income tax. Oregon residents who visit Washington do not pay state sales tax. I don't know of any other states who have that kind of treaty.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:23 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,025,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Washington residents who work in Oregon do not pay Oregon income tax.
Really? I'm pretty sure I've seen the opposite stated here in this forum quite recently.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:50 PM

90 posts, read 141,472 times
Quote:
We live in Carlsbad, CA and we love it here, but it's crazy stupid expensive so we are considering moving up to Portland/Vancouver area.
Hey my Wife and I are from SD.. I grew up in El Cajon and her Clairemont.. had friends growing up from Carlsbad and yeah its expensive!

We are moving to Portland August 1st.. probably somewhere west side, like Beaverton

Welcome to the PDX forum!

Old 06-05-2012, 10:00 PM

7 posts, read 18,864 times
Mullenium, why did you choose Portland/Vancouver to move to? Or was it a job thing?

Most of what I've seen in our price range is in WA or farther outside of Portland. It looks like we can be closer in but still have some elbow room in WA. Why is it cheaper in WA? Is it the zoning/land use laws?

As far as quality of living, are the two areas similar or does one side stand out?

Old 06-06-2012, 06:30 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
Really? I'm pretty sure I've seen the opposite stated here in this forum quite recently.
It appears you are correct. Come to think of it, the last time I had to deal with that was over 40 years ago. Things change, I guess.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:20 AM

600 posts, read 1,468,909 times
Quote:
Mullenium, why did you choose Portland/Vancouver to move to? Or was it a job thing?

Most of what I've seen in our price range is in WA or farther outside of Portland. It looks like we can be closer in but still have some elbow room in WA. Why is it cheaper in WA? Is it the zoning/land use laws?

As far as quality of living, are the two areas similar or does one side stand out?
Well on reason its a little less expensive is that you will be farther away from downtown Portland where the "city" atmosphere is. If you plan to work in Portland or frequent it for shopping, etc you may want to live closer in as the commute across the river can be a nightmare. Maybe some other folks can chime in on why its cheaper up there. Both areas are very similar in quality of living though.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:59 AM

90 posts, read 141,472 times
Quote:

We love the green lush atmosphere.. right now we are living in Phoenix and dread the heat, pollution/dust, and crime.

Ill be working from home, but eventually ill need to find something local.. and since im in IT most of the tech companies are on the west side of Portland
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland