Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 05:44 PM

18 posts, read 61,891 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at getting a new place in either Pearl District or South Waterfront and I'm having a hard time choosing because I like both of them do much.

What would the pros and cons be for both of these areas? If you pick one, which would you pick and why?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 06:01 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
The South Waterfront doesn't have a social vibe IMHO, and it is a long way to a grocery store (but the street car does go very near Safeway), drug store, a selection of restraunts. Access by car isn't easy.

The Pearl is VERY social and has all the services you might want in a few blocks walk.

The Pearl is perfect for a social person, the South Waterfront for anyone who wants access to 'pill hill'.

Are you buying or renting? If buying send me a pm on which building. [Warning: I will be off line for a couple days.]

Old 04-09-2012, 06:05 PM

978 posts, read 1,088,549 times
for me south waterfront, i like to go to shows in se portland

Old 04-09-2012, 08:33 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,543,661 times
I love the look of South Waterfront, but walking around there, it seems so dead! One of the most attractive buildings, the one with a fancy restaurant, is actually a retirement community.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:36 PM

i hope they build more towers there
that what they should do instead of the MLR

Last edited by sorupaa; 04-09-2012 at 08:58 PM..

Old 04-09-2012, 09:08 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,562,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drum bro View Post
for me south waterfront, i like to go to shows in se portland
But you don't really have easy access to the SE from the South Waterfront. If you're driving I guess you can take the roundabout way to get to Ross Island. But if you're biking, you still have to go all the way up to Hawthorne, (which is going to make it just as close as the Pearl, if not further).

The South Waterfront is so cut off. Unless you work at OHSU, I really don't see ANY advantage of living there over the Pearl. The Pearl is going to have so many more things conveniently close by. And the South Waterfront will require you to go somewhere else for almost everything. And the street car will run you into town, but it's pretty darn slow, and will probably take you 20-25 mins. to get the downtown Safeway.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:12 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,522,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess10 View Post
But you don't really have easy access to the SE from the South Waterfront. If you're driving I guess you can take the roundabout way to get to Ross Island. But if you're biking, you still have to go all the way up to Hawthorne, (which is going to make it just as close as the Pearl, if not further).

The South Waterfront is so cut off. Unless you work at OHSU, I really don't see ANY advantage of living there over the Pearl. The Pearl is going to have so many more things conveniently close by. And the South Waterfront will require you to go somewhere else for almost everything. And the street car will run you into town, but it's pretty darn slow, and will probably take you 20-25 mins. to get the downtown Safeway.
Yeah, the South Waterfront is sort of it's own little island. It feels kind of strange and isolated right now. The Pearl District has very easy access to everything downtown and in inner NW Portland as well as much more to do in it's own area. There's a lot of good restaurants and bars, close by music venues, a couple grocery stores right there, and if you work downtown you can probably just walk. The South Waterfront is close to the fairly quiet Johns Landing area--maybe some day they'll have more in that area, but right now it feels sort of suburban except for a few decent restaurants.

I guess though, if you're not looking for a more urban experience(well, urban as far as Portland goes), the South Waterfront is much quieter and you've got a nice view of the river, Ross Island, and maybe Mount Hood. I think someday it'll be interesting to see what the South Waterfront turns into. They were aiming for Yaletown in Vancouver--but that's a long way off at this point. If they could make it feel more connected to downtown--although the part of downtown it's closest to is fairly quiet itself--it might feel more like an interesting neighborhood.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess10 View Post

with the new bridge it looks like it would be easier to get to the hawthorne area then pearl

Old 04-09-2012, 10:01 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,562,733 times
True, in four years it may be.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:27 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,143,960 times
There's a Zupan's at John's Landing.

South Waterfront is less crowded, and more calm feeling. The Pearl isn't. So, it depends on which appeals more to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland