Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 08:37 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,450,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turquoise1 View Post
I love the look of South Waterfront, but walking around there, it seems so dead!
Right here. There is very little that attracts anyone in to the area. Unless you're living or working there, of course.

I can't think of a single restaurant, store, park, or museum I'd be interested in going to there. Mostly because they just don't exist yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 09:44 AM

378 posts, read 975,192 times
I had to make the very same decision a few years ago when we were looking for places while living on the east coast. We actually split the difference and ended up downtown and I much prefer it. One of the nicest things about living in Portland is walking to almost anywhere you need to go. The south waterfront doesn't allow for that without a longer commute and with the rain it is a pain to do so for 6 months of the year. Yes it is quieter in the evenings but so is downtown after 5pm and in downtown you're just a 10 minute walk from the action or a grocery store. If it's between the Pearl and SW... go for the Pearl - yes it's busier but that's because there are actually restaurants and stores. SW has all the negatives of living in a big apartment building with few of the benefits (ie. living in a vibrant area).

Last edited by danwilsonbsee; 04-10-2012 at 09:45 AM.. Reason: grammar is not one of my strengths

Old 04-10-2012, 01:00 PM

286 posts, read 521,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
There's a Zupan's at John's Landing.

South Waterfront is less crowded, and more calm feeling. The Pearl isn't. So, it depends on which appeals more to you.
I agree. I lived near the corner of Burnside and Stark for 14 months and have been in the South Water front since June.

While the Pearl obviously offers easier access to all things downtown, it's also nice to have a view of, or be able to walk one or two blocks to the riverbank. It's much more quite and as you say, more of a calm feeling.

Also I've found the Pearl to be much more expensive for housing, rentals or condos.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:04 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,421,525 times
I agree with many the S Waterfront has a very sterile "new town" overly engineered redevelopment vibe. For those who can't stand older housing stock then have at it however Pearl is just a much richer in depth environment IMHO.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:31 PM

978 posts, read 1,089,982 times
i want to walk on the new SOWA/Lair Hill Pedestrian Bridge some time

Old 04-10-2012, 04:23 PM

286 posts, read 521,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
I agree with many the S Waterfront has a very sterile "new town" overly engineered redevelopment vibe. For those who can't stand older housing stock then have at it however Pearl is just a much richer in depth environment IMHO.
Agree about the much richer environment, as of now the SW is almost a ghost town with only one good restaurant that I regularly go to, Soho.

But after living on the edge of the Pearl and in the SW, I much prefer the latter. For me it's like having the best of both worlds, I get the quite 'country living' and incredible views of the river, while at the same time I'm only 15 minutes away from downtown via the streetcar which makes the parking issue a moot point.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:45 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,544,934 times
I actually found SW to be quite expensive when I was looking for apartments. They seemed to range over $3,000 a month, and there weren't a lot of amenities in the neighborhood. I know the Pearl is pricey, but there are parks, grocery stores, restaurants, etc.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:17 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,585,648 times
If you are condo shopping it is cheaper than the Pear. My guess rentals are more expensive because of medical professionals in training for whom renting is their only option.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:13 AM

18 posts, read 61,923 times
Thank you all for your input!
I am looking for a condo over an apartment, gives you more freedom to do what you want. The Pearl sounds more desireable because it is close to almost everything, but I feel like you can get more bang for your buck in the South Waterfront. Like more space, a view, a reserved parking spot, etc.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:07 PM

978 posts, read 1,089,982 times
in the south waterfront emergence vehicles will be using the new bridge so if won't be 100% quiet

quieter then pearl with the train
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland