Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 12:04 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,477,899 times

Advertisements

To me the changes happening in downtown Portland over the years makes it more of a hodgepodge of traffic and street people. It's lost it's charm for me. I think I what miss most is the more moderately priced stores like Penny's, Frederick and Nelson's, Newberry's, Fred Meyer, Mier and Frank and Sears. Also the Yamill Market. And absolutely Art Quake when the streets were closed for the festivities. Nothing stands out for me as a unique downtown.

Today there are more upscale stores like Macy's and small high-priced speciality shops one sees in suburban shopping malls.

I am happy a Target is coming in. And it's great that there are now so many places to eat where once there never were. We do have good theater, concerts and the small art museum is okay for a city this size.

Outside downtown there are nice city neighborhoods as there are in many cities. It is the downtown area that determines to me anyway a "city feel."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 05:04 PM

304 posts, read 872,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
To me the changes happening in downtown Portland over the years makes it more of a hodgepodge of traffic and street people. It's lost it's charm for me. I think I what miss most is the more moderately priced stores like Penny's, Frederick and Nelson's, Newberry's, Fred Meyer, Mier and Frank and Sears. Also the Yamill Market. And absolutely Art Quake when the streets were closed for the festivities. Nothing stands out for me as a unique downtown.

Today there are more upscale stores like Macy's and small high-priced speciality shops one sees in suburban shopping malls.

I am happy a Target is coming in. And it's great that there are now so many places to eat where once there never were. We do have good theater, concerts and the small art museum is okay for a city this size.

Outside downtown there are nice city neighborhoods as there are in many cities. It is the downtown area that determines to me anyway a "city feel."

Thanks. What do you think of the restaurant and bar scene?

Old 03-28-2012, 05:44 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,477,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallahasseehero1 View Post
Thanks. What do you think of the restaurant and bar scene?
They are excellent. That is something that has evolved into an amazing improvement over the years from nothing to really great. You can pretty much find any type of food and it will be good. The food carts have been around for a long time but they have grown into areas other than downtown as well as more opening up there.

The great part is that there are very good restaurants all over the city and in the suburbs as well.

I have been out of the bar scene for a long time. Not that I was ever into it a whole lot but I do remember a few places that were pretty good. I mostly went to the places that featured jazz. I'm sure someone here can fill you in better regarding these.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
They are excellent. That is something that has evolved into an amazing improvement over the years from nothing to really great. You can pretty much find any type of food and it will be good. The food carts have been around for a long time but they have grown into areas other than downtown as well as more opening up there.

The great part is that there are very good restaurants all over the city and in the suburbs as well.

I have been out of the bar scene for a long time. Not that I was ever into it a whole lot but I do remember a few places that were pretty good. I mostly went to the places that featured jazz. I'm sure someone here can fill you in better regarding these.
That's real good to hear. I've heard Portland has a great music scene as well.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:25 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,708,963 times
Quote:
I might attend law school there next starting next fall. It isnt definitely a place I would like to live. But even if Idont end up moving there it is definitely somewhere I would like to visit.
Ah Hah! That puts you at Lewis and Clark, which is tucked between Tryon Creek State Park and the Willamette River. The feel of the area is definitely arcadian. Lewis and Clark is not what you normally think of as an urban campus. Take a look at the area in Google Earth.

Portland is going to feel more European to you than most US cities. Much of the waterfront has been developed for parks or recreation and dining. Downtown is fairly dense urban development, but there are several smaller neighborhoods around town with a mix of shops and residences that are walkable and pleasant to visit.

Yes, the music in Portland is excellent. Everybody mentions the jazz and blues scene, but one of my favorite performers is Storm Large, who goes beyond music to be an excellent entertainer. Her solo act is a modern version of the great burlesque acts of the early 20th century. She also does stand-in vocals for Pink Martini. The last I heard she was doing a one woman off-Broadway in NYC, but she will be back.

Portland has its own music newspaper

http://www.portlandmercury.com/portl...tion?oid=22152

You would enjoy your time in Portland, except law school works you so hard you would miss a lot.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Ah Hah! That puts you at Lewis and Clark, which is tucked between Tryon Creek State Park and the Willamette River. The feel of the area is definitely arcadian. Lewis and Clark is not what you normally think of as an urban campus. Take a look at the area in Google Earth.

Portland is going to feel more European to you than most US cities. Much of the waterfront has been developed for parks or recreation and dining. Downtown is fairly dense urban development, but there are several smaller neighborhoods around town with a mix of shops and residences that are walkable and pleasant to visit.

Yes, the music in Portland is excellent. Everybody mentions the jazz and blues scene, but one of my favorite performers is Storm Large, who goes beyond music to be an excellent entertainer. Her solo act is a modern version of the great burlesque acts of the early 20th century. She also does stand-in vocals for Pink Martini. The last I heard she was doing a one woman off-Broadway in NYC, but she will be back.

Portland has its own music newspaper

Portland Mercury | Music

You would enjoy your time in Portland, except law school works you so hard you would miss a lot.

Thats right, Lewis and Clark is one of my choices for law school. From your description it sounds like it is in a really cool area. Unfortunately, your right about Laws school Its not like I would have as much time as I would like to enjoy the sites of the city. Although I think after the first year you have a little more free time on your hands. All of my favorite bands play in Portland whenever they go on tour. Its sound s like a really cool city!!

Old 03-29-2012, 07:12 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,565,206 times
Quote:
Thats right, Lewis and Clark is one of my choices for law school. From your description it sounds like it is in a really cool area. Unfortunately, your right about Laws school Its not like I would have as much time as I would like to enjoy the sites of the city. Although I think after the first year you have a little more free time on your hands. All of my favorite bands play in Portland whenever they go on tour. Its sound s like a really cool city!!
Didn't we already discuss most of this (L&C's location, as well as music?) in another thread for you?

There are a few more Decemberists and Shins shows here being hometown bands. We get most national tours, though some will skip us and just go to Seattle (ie. Radiohead recently).

Old 03-30-2012, 03:51 PM

157 posts, read 165,838 times
Portland has a decent downtown with rough on the edges like Burnside. It has a gritty, big city feel to it but be care, or you can be victim of a crime.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:46 AM

64 posts, read 77,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
When I first moved to Portland I was a wide-eyed kid fresh out of high school from a small town in the rural extremities of Oregon and, at the time, it felt HUGE. That said, I got out and travelled more and got used to living in Portland and now I'd say, no, it absolutely does NOT have a city feel to it. LA? Seattle? Definitely have a city feel. Portland? No. It feels like an overgrown town. I run into people I know all the time everywhere I go.

Vibrancy and street life it does have, however. Hawthorne/Belmot and Alberta/Mississippi have a lot more going on than downtown, IMO, although Northwest has some of that too. If I were to move back to Portland (I'm a Seattleite now) I think I'd like to live in one of those areas. Those places feel almost urban like they might belong in a bigger city. Although I do love Mount Tabor, Sellwood, Woodstock, Multnomah Village, and even Montavilla.

There are plenty of things to do though in any case. There's the Blazers and the Timbers for sports people. There are tons of cultural events and a really great live music scene. It's close to outdoor recreation, or there are plenty of beautiful parks in the city too including Forest Park. Not really more than a handful of "fine dining" options (dress code, etc), but there is an amazing cheap eats food scene including the aforementioned food carts. One of the best places for a foodie I think. So as far as "big city" amenities go, Portland has many if not most or all of them. It just doesn't have the vibe to go with it really. Oh... Diversity. Unfortunately that is one "big city" thing Portland majorly lacks.
Actually, theres more "Diversity" than I'd like although if you are talking about good kinds of diversity, cuisine is mainly how I define diversity as a positive. The different kinds of food, music and art. You can't keep playing the oh Portland lacks diversity card.. Some people are trying to make this like CA now.. thankfully the final say doesn't go to the diversity crowd here like in CA, but they are trying.

Old 05-06-2012, 04:43 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,827,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyboy14 View Post
Actually, theres more "Diversity" than I'd like although if you are talking about good kinds of diversity, cuisine is mainly how I define diversity as a positive. The different kinds of food, music and art. You can't keep playing the oh Portland lacks diversity card.. Some people are trying to make this like CA now.. thankfully the final say doesn't go to the diversity crowd here like in CA, but they are trying.
I don't like to make negative posts, but I think you should try Alabama--you'll fit in better there.

And actually I can play the lack of diversity card. I come from a 90% non-Hispanic Oregon town and my family is multicultural from LA. I've been around the country a bit and Portland could be a lot more diverse for a big city--it's nice to be somewhere where there are tons of different kinds of people from all sorts of backgrounds who all seem to coexist just fine with one another. I love California for that reason. The different groups seem to coexist in Portland, but it is statistically the whitest major city in the country and only getting whiter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland