Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 08:45 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,363,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I read your post and the title of your post. I mentioned NYC to show that this movement is out of control. There have been drug overdoses, rapes, and the shop owners in NYC are highly upset that they're losing business and some of them may go under.

Did you see what disgusting conditions the parks were left in?

So what if some are helping with the clean up, it shouldn't have gotten that way in the first place.

Woodstock after a 3 day festival didn't look like those parks.
Again, you are straying from my original post. Whatever happened in NYC is irrelevant to a discussion of Portland. Of course I saw the conditions the parks were left in. I did not, however, address them in my post. I was talking solely about the Saturday night standoff and subsequent dispersal of the Occupiers. You may not take my comments and twist them to serve your agenda.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:06 AM

638 posts, read 1,179,845 times
Occupy Portland was on national news last night (tv). I think the nation is watching both Portland and Oakland as comparables to OWS.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:57 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,465,622 times
It's interesting that after Portland shut things down, Oakland and New York followed suit using very similar tactics.

I guess the world really was watching how Portland handled things.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
It's interesting that after Portland shut things down, Oakland and New York followed suit using very similar tactics.

I guess the world really was watching how Portland handled things.
I wonder if the mayors of all these cities were talking to each other about when and how to bring the occupations to an end.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:14 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,455,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
I wonder if the mayors of all these cities were talking to each other about when and how to bring the occupations to an end.
Of course they were.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:21 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,594,487 times
The "press conference" by Occupy Portland broadcast this morning was not only inaccurate but made them sound like a bunch of whiners. Credibility gone!

Old 11-15-2011, 01:14 PM

378 posts, read 975,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Of course they were.

No doubt the mayors of other cities saw the pristine living conditions exposed during the eviction as well. That seems to be what's driving most of the current events around the country - the lack of sanitation & dangerous fire liability in areas which are not zoned for "occupation". Despite whatever arguments are out there against cities for acting, they no doubt saved lives. I'm happy Portland closed down the squares. Anyone who lives by them had been in fear for the last 5 weeks and I'd much rather deal with a fence than get jumped by some of the street kids who flocked to OP.

Last edited by danwilsonbsee; 11-15-2011 at 01:14 PM.. Reason: horrible grammar

Old 11-15-2011, 01:35 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,949,095 times
All but three of you are missing the entire point of OWS/OP/O???.... and if civil resistance to the status quo goes away quietly and the 1% double their wealth again in 10 years you will deserve the America that will result. I won't be here.

H

Old 11-15-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
All but three of you are missing the entire point of OWS/OP/O???.... and if civil resistance to the status quo goes away quietly and the 1% double their wealth again in 10 years you will deserve the America that will result. I won't be here.

H
Amen! I'll be leaving with you. Occupy Portland (and all the rest of the occupations in the country/world) served their purpose for a while but it became clear that the original message had become hijacked. I hope the organizers find a way to keep the movement alive with a clearer message and respect for the cities they live in.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:22 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,465,622 times
Quote:
All but three of you are missing the entire point of OWS/OP/O???....
I thought their point was to have a street party, camp illegally in a park, do drugs openly and bop their girlfriends in their tents at night, then without any repurcussions, have us taxpayers clean up after them when the adults in town put an end to their fun and told them to go home.

I get what you guys are saying, but it seems it was doomed before it even started.
I wanted to take them seriously, but couldn't by the end of the first week.
And the Occupy movement was so vague as to what they wanted that most people never knew what their point really was in the first place.
Whatever "point" they had was tremendously overshadowed by their questionable behavior and actions.

The Occupy movement is now a laughingstock.
Especially after Occupy Portland demanded an "apology" from the City of Portland today.
I would think it would be the other way around after what OP did to this town.
And by the way, I don't see them out there cleaning up or offering to help in any way.
They just keep complaining and demanding.
They have alienated the 99% that could have given them support.

It will need a radical "makeover" and have to really work hard to be taken seriously again after America (and the world) witnessed it's ridiculous first phase.

Better luck next time.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 11-15-2011 at 03:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland