Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 09:26 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,357,458 times

Advertisements

I couldn't stay up last night to watch coverage of the midnight deadline for Occupy Portland to vacate the parks. So I tuned in this morning at 5:30 to see how events had unfolded. I'm so proud of how things were handled on both sides. There were a few short, dicey moments but for the most part it was a peaceful night and now many of the occupiers are gone and the ones remaining are starting a huge cleanup effort. I'm so impressed with the restraint shown by the police. It could have gone so bad so fast, but it didn't. I'm proud to be a Portlander today.

Old 11-13-2011, 10:13 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
It really annoys me that Channel 6, at least, is presenting this as a "victory" for Occupy Portland. I think that, so far, the Occupy Portland has provided mature leadership for those folks who can be led. I am happy that the City has managed this sensibly. Do I think the Occupy folks should move to other, legal, tactics to make their point - yes. I am so happy that, so far, our City costs have not gone out of control. Occupy needs to remember that the same people who have suffered by the acts of Wall Street will either be paying for the costs of management & clean up or they are recipients of social services paid by donations and tax dollars. There is no Daddy Deep Pockets out there suffering by this adventure.

Old 11-13-2011, 10:18 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times
Peaceful night? An injured officer wounded by something thrown by a protestor does not make for a "peaceful night" in my books. Minor injury, for sure, but certainly not peaceful. And the nearing $400,000 price tag? Shameful expenditure. Just what we all need.

Nice going, Sam. Ineffectual as usual in going overboard to placate protestors.

Old 11-13-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Peaceful night? An injured officer wounded by something thrown by a protestor does not make for a "peaceful night" in my books. Minor injury, for sure, but certainly not peaceful. And the nearing $400,000 price tag? Shameful expenditure. Just what we all need.

Nice going, Sam. Ineffectual as usual in going overboard to placate protestors.
Would you have preferred riots, tear gas and mass arrests? Imagine the price tag for that. And although there was a minor injury, the perpetrator was immediately identified by the occupiers and brought forth to be arrested. So I stand by my "peaceful night" comment. Notice that I did modify it by saying "for the most part".
Sam was going to be damned no matter what he did. He is to be commended for his patient and peaceful approach. It paid off.

Old 11-13-2011, 10:59 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,442,036 times
Sam did the best he could under the circumstances. Doubly so since the anarchists in the camp were trying to plan something. The Occupy Portland leaders did their very best to diffuse that situation, confiscating makeshift weapons and apparently even a case of flares.

I get the feeling that if the Anarchists weren't involved in this, the whole protest would have been much better off, more coordinated and more effective in getting a meaningful message out.

Old 11-13-2011, 11:02 AM

Gawker had this article comparing our protest to others around the country.

Occupy Portland Resists Eviction With Huge Party

Old 11-13-2011, 11:09 AM

66 posts, read 228,161 times
occupy Portland was never peaceful. was it nonviolent? yes for the most part but not peaceful. if they were truly peaceful they would not be confronting authority. peaceful people don't protest period. peacefull implies posative and in order to have any sort of protest you must first be negative.

as for last night, i was very disappointed but not surprised. i would have enjoyed see the protesters get hurt. i despise all protesting OWS, tea party, anti/pro war, they are all filth.

with that all being said, i would normally support the actions that the police took. the only problem is the mayor strikes me as the type of person who wants to avoid any type of conflict. had it been anyone else i would accept the tit for tat actions of last night to be an attempt to avoid bloodshed. yet with the way he acts i suspect the idea was for him to not have to really do anything. i could of course be wrong, ive been wrong before.

it will be interesting to see the aftermath.

Old 11-13-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkramer View Post
occupy Portland was never peaceful. was it nonviolent? yes for the most part but not peaceful. if they were truly peaceful they would not be confronting authority. peaceful people don't protest period. peacefull implies posative and in order to have any sort of protest you must first be negative.

as for last night, i was very disappointed but not surprised. i would have enjoyed see the protesters get hurt. i despise all protesting OWS, tea party, anti/pro war, they are all filth.

with that all being said, i would normally support the actions that the police took. the only problem is the mayor strikes me as the type of person who wants to avoid any type of conflict. had it been anyone else i would accept the tit for tat actions of last night to be an attempt to avoid bloodshed. yet with the way he acts i suspect the idea was for him to not have to really do anything. i could of course be wrong, ive been wrong before.

it will be interesting to see the aftermath.
Are you kidding me? I don't even know how to respond to these statements. Might I suggest that you read a little about the life of Mahatma Ghandi?

Old 11-13-2011, 11:21 AM

49 posts, read 94,573 times
I am ready for this whole circus to end! The Portland Police need clear all these people out of the park so they can start the clean up and rebuilding process. These occupiers are damaging the parks and they don't care. The parks are there for the public to enjoy. Which is hard to when the are full of hippies, chronic homeless, mentally ill, drug users, etc.

Last edited by PermanentlyLost; 11-13-2011 at 11:50 AM..

Old 11-13-2011, 11:57 AM

66 posts, read 228,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Are you kidding me? I don't even know how to respond to these statements. Might I suggest that you read a little about the life of Mahatma Ghandi?

yep i know Ghandi. he was a indian leader unhappy(ie negative towards) with the oppressive British rule. there for he lead a series of nonviolent protests. they did what they could to anger their superiors without using violence. peaceful people do not purposly try to anger other people which is the whole point of a protest. the hope that things will change through making the opposition unhappy.

and no i am not kidding. large groups of people can not be trusted. herd mentality takes over and normally nice people will do the same negative things as everyone else in the group. once one sheep starts running the rest will fallow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland