Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 04:28 PM

404 posts, read 1,338,788 times

Advertisements

They're not like what they used to be. It was fairly decent in 1990s.

Horrible service, rude employee, long return policy, yet bad customer service.

It's not the Freddy bear and Freddy's that locals have befriended. It's just now a Ohio's Kroger Co in "Fred Meyer" suit.

Going to Fred Meyer these days feel like going to Wal-Mart.

Ask where things are? Clerks usually don't do anything other than say "isle xx over there, and look around", if they even know where it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 04:43 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Which Freddie's do you go to? I find the employees to be very nice at the Hawthorne Fred's where I go.

Old 10-07-2010, 04:58 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
I used to shop at W. Burnside. It isn't what it used to be. I find the fresh produce not, what is there is not quality. My DIL thinks their prices are lower than nearby Safeways 'tho.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:14 PM

600 posts, read 1,468,909 times
I guess my observations of service are heightened because I worked in the industry for so long but I have to ask, hasnt service overall everywhere gone downhill? This is just my perception. Whether it be in Nordstrom (which has gotten really bad) or Comcast it seems like they have a bunch of untrained, unqualified, entitled yahoos working for them. On a positive note, Safeway has EXCELLENT customer service. I am greeted every time I walk in and asked about 5 times if I need help. I hate how much of a service snob I can be sometimes but if we are paying for the service it needs to be there

Old 10-07-2010, 08:25 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
General Oregon observation, not so much a Portland-based one - but, with the exception of a few Fred's in more upscale areas, the selection has been cut waaaay back. In my local Fred's, over the past year I've watched the "rice and beans" section go from a well-stocked entire aisle to half an aisle, dominated by Private Selection and Fred's brand items, with the smaller brands (like Lundberg and a few others) vanishing entirely.

The last remodel of my local store, an entire aisle was cut out to make way for another freezer case - gee, you don't think the profits are in the processed aisles and not the staples aisles, do you?

Likewise, I used to buy local Oregon Coastal Organics chicken in the meat dept - it's been replaced by a Private Selection brand, out of Cleveland. I knew who Oregon Coastal was, which farms supplied them. I have no idea where this stuff is coming from now - why would I pay a premium for that? "Organic" stuff coming from half the continent away pretty much negates the point.

Certainly the number of cashiers has been cut back - I can't remember the last time I went into the local Fred's and wasn't 2nd or 3rd in line, whereas previously I could stroll up to an empty check stand (and I'm talking off-hours, not 5:30 on a weeknight).

In Fred's defense,the other local stores have all done the same thing.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:20 PM

600 posts, read 1,468,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
General Oregon observation, not so much a Portland-based one - but, with the exception of a few Fred's in more upscale areas, the selection has been cut waaaay back. In my local Fred's, over the past year I've watched the "rice and beans" section go from a well-stocked entire aisle to half an aisle, dominated by Private Selection and Fred's brand items, with the smaller brands (like Lundberg and a few others) vanishing entirely.

The last remodel of my local store, an entire aisle was cut out to make way for another freezer case - gee, you don't think the profits are in the processed aisles and not the staples aisles, do you?

Likewise, I used to buy local Oregon Coastal Organics chicken in the meat dept - it's been replaced by a Private Selection brand, out of Cleveland. I knew who Oregon Coastal was, which farms supplied them. I have no idea where this stuff is coming from now - why would I pay a premium for that? "Organic" stuff coming from half the continent away pretty much negates the point.

Certainly the number of cashiers has been cut back - I can't remember the last time I went into the local Fred's and wasn't 2nd or 3rd in line, whereas previously I could stroll up to an empty check stand (and I'm talking off-hours, not 5:30 on a weeknight).

In Fred's defense,the other local stores have all done the same thing.
This boils my blood. I cannot stand going into a store with an armful of clothing to buy only to be 10-12 deep in one of only 2 lines open with maybe 8 closed registers and 10 salespeople milling around the dressing room talking or folding clothes. The worst offender in this instance is Old Navy. 50% of the time I go I either end up yelling at an employee to get more people ringing or I drop what I planned on purchasing at the register and walk out the door.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
50% of the time I go I either end up yelling at an employee
You don't really? It is not their fault the company won't hire enough people. Taking out your frustration on the rank-and-file will get you nowhere. You need to talk to management.

I was talking about this thread to a couple of people I know. One lives near the Stadium Fred's and the other near Interstate Fred's. They both agree that their Freds are not what they used to be in terms of selection and service as opposed to mine on Hawthorne which has a good deal of both.

They think it depends upon the neighborhood the stores are in as to how they operate.

I agree with Daisy that Safeway has great customer service. But I also agree with Nell's DIL that Safeway's prices are higher than Fred's.

My Hawthorne Safeway (two blocks away) will be closed for a year for remodling. That means I will be trekking up Freddy's (about a mile or so) for all my grocery shopping.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:31 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
Erm... not to put too fine a point on it but service snobbery is an anachronistic emotion in the age of automated check out kiosks and self-service shopping. If you want service, move to NYC and shop at Fine Fare, D'Agostino's or Gristedes. Have any of you been in a Winco? Please, don't discuss prices until you have been in a Winco. Winco does not sell sundries, nor IMO should they. If you want slippers or DVD's go to Target, for everything food, shop at Winco. It's that simple.

H

Old 10-08-2010, 11:48 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Have any of you been in a Winco? Please, don't discuss prices until you have been in a Winco. Winco does not sell sundries, nor IMO should they. If you want slippers or DVD's go to Target, for everything food, shop at Winco. It's that simple.
Winco's good if you want to buy Kraft, General Mills, etc. For high quality produce and meat, it's terrible. And by "high quality" I don't mean (necessarily) organic, I mean beef that is not labeled "Product of USA, Mexico, Canada" but actually has a producer label.

Mostly I shop at Fred's and Sherm's (local chain). When I lived in PDX, I shopped Fred's, QFC, the farmer's market, a local butcher shop, Whole Foods/New Seasons (the last for a few specialty items, but not general weekly shopping). Never been fond of the selection at Safeway or Albertson's.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Erm... not to put too fine a point on it but service snobbery is an anachronistic emotion in the age of automated check out kiosks and self-service shopping. If you want service, move to NYC and shop at Fine Fare, D'Agostino's or Gristedes. Have any of you been in a Winco? Please, don't discuss prices until you have been in a Winco. Winco does not sell sundries, nor IMO should they. If you want slippers or DVD's go to Target, for everything food, shop at Winco. It's that simple.

H
I am not familiar with WINCO. Because I don't drive, I have to stick to anything that's walking distance or busable. So I am limited in my shopping and comparisions. I would check it out if there was one near me.

There are items I buy that Safeway has but Freddy's has cheaper so I go for cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland