Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 11:20 AM

206 posts, read 194,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamontnow View Post
You and your Israel-hating friends keep parroting this bit about international waters and illegality. You have absolutely NO idea of what you are talking about.
I direct your attention to the San Remo Manual on International Law Applicable to Armed Conflicts at Sea. Specifically, paragraph 67-68:
67. Merchant vessels flying the flag of neutral States may not be attacked unless they:
(a) are believed on reasonable grounds to be carrying contraband or breaching a blockade, and after prior warning they intentionally and clearly refuse to stop, or intentionally and clearly resist visit, search or capture;
(b) engage in belligerent acts on behalf of the enemy;<
(c) act as auxiliaries to the enemy s armed forces;
(d) are incorporated into or assist the enemy s intelligence system;
(e) sail under convoy of enemy warships or military aircraft; or
(f) otherwise make an effective contribution to the enemy s military action, e.g., by carrying military materials, and it is not feasible for the attacking forces to first place passengers and crew in a place of safety. Unless circumstances do not permit, they are to be given a warning, so that they can re-route, off-load, or take other precautions.

I highlighted the relevant clauses. IT WAS LEGAL.

Repeating a lie a thousand times does not make it true. Educate yourself.

Very good points here, but they will be met with resistance and spin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 11:39 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,999,853 times
Quote:
You and your Israel-hating friends keep parroting this bit about international waters and illegality. You have absolutely NO idea of what you are talking about.
I direct your attention to the San Remo Manual on International Law Applicable to Armed Conflicts at Sea. Specifically, paragraph 67-68:
67. Merchant vessels flying the flag of neutral States may not be attacked unless they:
(a) are believed on reasonable grounds to be carrying contraband or breaching a blockade, and after prior warning they intentionally and clearly refuse to stop, or intentionally and clearly resist visit, search or capture;
(b) engage in belligerent acts on behalf of the enemy;<
(c) act as auxiliaries to the enemy s armed forces;
(d) are incorporated into or assist the enemy s intelligence system;
(e) sail under convoy of enemy warships or military aircraft; or
(f) otherwise make an effective contribution to the enemy s military action, e.g., by carrying military materials, and it is not feasible for the attacking forces to first place passengers and crew in a place of safety. Unless circumstances do not permit, they are to be given a warning, so that they can re-route, off-load, or take other precautions.

I highlighted the relevant clauses. IT WAS LEGAL.

Repeating a lie a thousand times does not make it true. Educate yourself.

Don't assume people to be idiots. What armed conflict BTW? But, it does sound like this law allows any nation to storm into Israel's ships (and return the favor).

Old 06-03-2010, 11:45 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,272,458 times
Wow! An American politician agreeing with Israel! That is really so much different from the usual, ain't it?

Old 06-03-2010, 11:45 AM

1,263 posts, read 2,340,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Don't assume people to be idiots. What armed conflict BTW? But, it does sound like this law allows any nation to storm into Israel's ships (and return the favor).
WHAT ARMED CONFLICT???
There's no need for me to assume idiocy. I think your question clearly speaks for itself.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:54 AM

90 posts, read 87,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Ah to be a fly on the wall of the White House this morning. I'll bet Biden has already been scolded.
Absolutely spanked, but I have to take my hat off to him this time. Perhaps he will have a chance to be President sometime between "now" and 2013

Old 06-03-2010, 12:14 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,999,853 times
Quote:
WHAT ARMED CONFLICT???
There's no need for me to assume idiocy. I think your question clearly speaks for itself.
I never assumed idiocy. Israel can declare itself to be in perpetual state of war to continue with its atrocities, but none of that makes it legit.

The laws are designed to go both ways. Only a matter of time when favors are duly returned.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:15 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,906,333 times
He's pushing for the #1 job

Old 06-03-2010, 12:22 PM

68,436 posts, read 54,913,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
This is a simple case of you believing what you want to believe, but not what is a fact.

These boardings happen ALL the time. They're expected because there is currently a blockade, preventing the illegal smuggling of weapons into a place that intends to use them to kill Israelis.

They were not surprised by this boarding. They were prepared for it and decided to attack military commandos. If they had nothing to hide, they would have done like the many before, and let them board peacefully.

Let's be clear...BOTH sides were armed. You're just upset because the Israelis won.

If someone is smuggling things to my neighbor, and they're planning on attacking and harming my family with those weapons, we're going to have a problem and only one of us will be walking away.

I see, so people defending themselves when attacked by commandoes are wrong yet if you defend yourself when attacked you're in the right?

Talk about believing what you want to believe

Old 06-03-2010, 12:25 PM

68,436 posts, read 54,913,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
Go do the research. You are correct about the year, so the rest of your question should be a cake-walk.

You made the statement, why should I do the research to support what is at this point nothing but your allegation?

Old 06-03-2010, 12:28 PM

76,959 posts, read 48,103,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Wow! An American politician agreeing with Israel! That is really so much different from the usual, ain't it?
Well, according to the right wing mass media, this admin hates Israel. Sooo...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies