Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 02:33 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,913,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Why didn't you mention he was also carrying a Mexican flag?

Total disrespect when you are there for one country only.
Who says you can only be there for one country?

We actually lose out on medals because of rigid thinking that insists an Olympian can only represent one country. Think about how many Olympians from other countries are attending college right here in the United States, being coached by American coaching staffs, receiving training here in the United States and using our facilities to develop their skills and abilities. But because they can only represent one country, they represent their home country, and not the United States.

While I disagree with Manzano's waving both flags, throughout the games he was very clear with the media and on social media that he felt he was representing both the United States and Mexico. He is a dual citizen of both countries. And freedom of speech guarantees his right to express his position.

I think all Americans would defend Manzano's freedom of speech, even if we disagree with some of his ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 02:34 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,035,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Please explain what President Obama has to do with an incident at Montebello High School in 2006?

That's what this thread is about. An incident at Montebello High School in 2006.

YOU introduced the President to this thread. If you can come up with a rational connection that explains any other intent than malice on your part, I'm dying to hear it.
I asked if he is the first Mexican president.

I still haven't got an answer.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Why didn't you mention he was also carrying a Mexican flag?
Because that was incidental.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:38 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,913,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post

Maybe you should review the meaning of "off-topic"?

Start a thread if you have a question. Don't post irrelevant questions in existing threads.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:38 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,094,006 times
Quote:

Oh...perhaps people assumed that such a stupid question must have been meant rhetorically, because certainly, even on C-D there cannot be a person so intellectually deficient as to actually have expected an answer to it.

But since you seem to really want one, here's your answer:

No.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:41 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,502,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
Well, I for one am shocked!!! Shocked, I tell you, that this is STILL rolling around emails 4 years after it happened.

I'm not shocked. Not surprised someone posted something without thinking about what they were doing, or if it was accurate. It's a problem we see on internet forums. Shooting from the hip.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post

But since you seem to really want one, here's your answer:

No.
Is he the first gay president?

Old 08-14-2012, 02:46 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,676,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Who says you can only be there for one country?

We actually lose out on medals because of rigid thinking that insists an Olympian can only represent one country. Think about how many Olympians from other countries are attending college right here in the United States, being coached by American coaching staffs, receiving training here in the United States and using our facilities to develop their skills and abilities. But because they can only represent one country, they represent their home country, and not the United States.

While I disagree with Manzano's waving both flags, throughout the games he was very clear with the media and on social media that he felt he was representing both the United States and Mexico. He is a dual citizen of both countries. And freedom of speech guarantees his right to express his position.

I think all Americans would defend Manzano's freedom of speech, even if we disagree with some of his ideas.
Thats part of the Olympic rules. You cannot compete for two countries surely you must know this.

He disrespected America. Its downright disgusting.

Unfortunately it happens far to often. Americans getting snubbed.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:47 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,676,088 times
Quote:
Because that was incidental.
No because he Snubbed the country he was supposed to represent.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:47 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,945,257 times
Quote:
Why is reporting that people flew an American flag upside down and flew a Mexican flag above it "ridiculous"?
Because the incident happened 6 years ago. Who was the President then? Oh yeah. Maybe he was the first Mexican Prez then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies