Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 04:36 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,641,964 times

Advertisements

DALLAS — Brad Bisallion, a passenger aboard American Airlines Flight 1203 from Toronto to Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport, never expected what he saw from his window seat last Friday.

A patch on the engine housing of the 737-800 appeared to be duct tape.

Passengers surprised to see planes patched with tape; experts say it's common | kens5.com | San Antonio News, Weather, Sports, Traffic, Entertainment, Video and Photos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 04:48 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,795,846 times
The article you cited said it was not duct tape.

The FAA does not allow ANYTHING to be put on commercial or certificated airplanes that it has not approved.

This was a special metal patch, designed for high-speed aircraft such as jet airliners. Fully tested and approved by the FAA. Very little in common with duct tape.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:52 PM

38,026 posts, read 22,203,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
DALLAS — Brad Bisallion, a passenger aboard American Airlines Flight 1203 from Toronto to Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport, never expected what he saw from his window seat last Friday.

A patch on the engine housing of the 737-800 appeared to be duct tape.

Passengers surprised to see planes patched with tape; experts say it's common | kens5.com | San Antonio News, Weather, Sports, Traffic, Entertainment, Video and Photos
It was most likely metal tape, its common for repairs that are only temporary, and will require further repairs after so many flight hours

Old 04-20-2010, 04:55 PM

38,026 posts, read 22,203,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
The article you cited said it was not duct tape.

The FAA does not allow ANYTHING to be put on commercial or certificated airplanes that it has not approved.

This was a special metal patch, designed for high-speed aircraft such as jet airliners. Fully tested and approved by the FAA. Very little in common with duct tape.
Its sticky.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:29 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,652,955 times
It's either a temp fix like high speed tape or grounding the plane for weeks while a new skin is made, installed and painted.

Which would the consumer prefer?

Old 04-20-2010, 07:59 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,709,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
It's either a temp fix like high speed tape or grounding the plane for weeks while a new skin is made, installed and painted.

Which would the consumer prefer?
Temp fixes are cheap and you pay for what you get.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:38 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,648,076 times
Seriously it wouldn't surprise me because I knew a woman who was a flight attendent. She could have retired a few years earlier than she did but she loved her job. That was until she saw some mechanics at a stopover taping together something on the wing of the plane. She retired not long after that. She swore up and down it was true and that other flight attendants saw it too.

Who knows. Maybe it was that metal patch. At least it wasn't gum.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:57 PM

7,788 posts, read 8,039,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
Seriously it wouldn't surprise me because I knew a woman who was a flight attendent. She could have retired a few years earlier than she did but she loved her job. That was until she saw some mechanics at a stopover taping together something on the wing of the plane. She retired not long after that. She swore up and down it was true and that other flight attendants saw it too.

at least they fixed it if only temporary. most of the temporary repairs on my Jeep become permenant

Old 04-21-2010, 12:43 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,930,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post

None of the Flight Attendants I've worked with in +20 years of service have ever quit over something they knew nothing about. They are, however, trained to the highest standards to help passengers in emergency situations.

Many passengers (and flight attendants) bring what they percieve as problems to the Captain and the situation is given the highest level of priority. When a passenger notes something of concern, it is taken as seriously as if a crewmember reported it. Regardless of the concern, a follow up is made with the person reporting so they know the situation has been given the highest level of attention possible.

Please don't hesitate to bring anything that concerns you to a crewmembers attention, that's why we're here. It's also part of the assurance you get when you pay to fly.
The concern is only exasperated when a passenger like the one who took this photo, runs screaming to the media (who know as much as nobody when it comes to aviation) without first bringing it to the attention of the professionals in charge of their care.

Last edited by amerifree; 04-21-2010 at 12:58 AM..

Old 04-21-2010, 01:02 PM

88,669 posts, read 84,974,162 times
There is most definitely a type of "tape" that looks like duct tape used on planes. It is far stronger and much more expensive than ordinary duct tape.

This caught my eye because not long ago at a seminar for public buyers, someone who buys the airplane tape brought it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies