Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 04:13 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,597,298 times

Advertisements

Where the hell was he walking? I've lived in DC for years, and nothing like this has ever happened to me, nor any of my friends, and we've stumbled drunk many-a-night through all sorts of 'hoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 04:14 PM

22,266 posts, read 19,588,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
A liberal is a conservative who hasn't been mugged yet.

My grandparents in Queens in the 1960s-1970s were quite liberal until their house got broken into on a monthly basis and they had to move becaues the area became so dangerous.
On a side note to this asinine thread, what part of Queens?

Old 04-20-2010, 04:39 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,257,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
On a side note to this asinine thread, what part of Queens?
Rosedaleish, the part near valley stream

Old 04-20-2010, 04:53 PM

11,581 posts, read 13,997,746 times
I guess money's been tight for Gilbert Arenas since being sidelined from his NBA ***.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:30 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,291,420 times
I'm glad he wasn't hurt. I always think of him as Kumar, even when he was on House. I picture him buying a bag of weed and getting robbed by the dealer. Oh and it happened on 420! Coincidence? Yeah probably.

Old 04-20-2010, 06:22 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,750,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
I'm glad he wasn't hurt. I always think of him as Kumar, even when he was on House. I picture him buying a bag of weed and getting robbed by the dealer. Oh and it happened on 420! Coincidence? Yeah probably.
On his way to White Castle?

Omg!!! The mugger was Neil Patrick Harris! Case: closed.

Seriously though, that does suck. Judging that he lives in Dupont, I'm guessing it was somewhere around the Dupont/U Street/AdMo area, which is fairly safe. Why I tend to cab home after midnight.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:08 AM

11,521 posts, read 11,208,636 times
Quote:
Guess working for Obama wasn't good enough.

'Kumar' Actor Robbed at Gunpoint in D.C. | TMZ.com
Let's do the math:

D.C. is 93% black.

98% of those who voted in D.C. voted for Obama.

Odds are fairly high that the guy who robbed him was so high on crack that he wouldn't have been able to tell the difference between George Bush and 2Pac. Political issues make no difference.

I used to run freight trains for CSX through D.C. We had a siding called Chesapeke Junction that ran along Minnesota Ave. It was not uncommon, when delayed with a piggyback or stack train for more than 10 minutes, you could watch the local hoodrats start breaking the seals on your containers and tossing merchandise down. It all had street value. What was Penn thinking wandering around in the ghetto. Did he think he had some kind of immunity? By many standards, he's lucky he's not dead.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:57 AM

22,266 posts, read 19,588,942 times
Quote:
Rosedaleish, the part near valley stream
Not even a remotely bad area, and never has been one......

Old 04-21-2010, 03:13 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,833,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
As much as I hate to say it, its not particularly safe to walk around most parts of DC at night. The riff-raff is literally just a stones-throw away in any direction, no matter how nice your little neighborhood or rowhouses might be.
It's been that way forever. I remember as a kid wondering how long it would take for the man in that white house to figure out what a nightmare was going on right outside his own door.

Now I wonder if the last president who dared walk those streets was Lincoln.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
Why would he change parties because he got mugged? The person who mugged him may be totally apolitical and not vote at all. I know people who have gotten mugged, had their houses broken into, cars stolen etc and are STILL liberal. Do you think that liberals are unaware that crime exists? Do you think getting mugged changes a person's view on abortion, gay marriage or gun laws? Some people feel that if there were no guns, people couldn't be mugged at gunpoint. You must lead a very sheltered life if you think this type of incident will make him vote for a conservative in the next election.
I didn't care for the tacky sarcasm either however...
Visceral experiences do tend to change a persons outlook on life, on other people, and their relationship with society. Ask PTSD patients. It takes so little for civilization to abandon reason and noble aspirations of humanity. They get schooled that humans are animals that do regress in circumstances. Post 9-11 it felt like I was watching Lord of the Flies happen across the nation. People were thirsty for vengeance. America went crackers.

If your aspiration is to see the absence of guns entirely, it will never happen. Guns have long shelf lives and how many have been manufactured for how long? Never going to happen. Impossible. Keep egging on the paranoia of gun nuts we might actually find ourselves with more firearms than citizens.

For all the money people throw into anti gun efforts, it would be better spent offering self defense classes without weaponry. For all the money people throw at NRA, it would be better spent assisting law enforcement to catch the crooks abusing guns. Or yall can continue on this way another million years.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:18 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,257,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Not even a remotely bad area, and never has been one......
Have you ever been there?

http://nyc.everyblock.com/crime/loca...oods/rosedale/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies