Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 06:08 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,500,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
Boy do you have a short memory. You don't remember all the people who who no longer had pay taxes with the Bush tax cuts? Perhaps Alzheimer's is knocking at you door, maybe you should see a doctor.
Darn, are you saying that it was actually Bush who gave those goodies to all those people? How does Obama top that? Oh yeah he raises the taxes of the regressive kind on them. That is to say the VAT tax and the fuel tax. Those rates will be the same for the poor and the very rich. How fair is that to progs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Nice little velvet rant, Roy. I hope you don't think that as of January 20th, 2009, Obama gave 47% of the population a free pass on their taxes. This percentage has been inching up through many administrations. It will go higher as the boomers retire. Based on previous posts you've made, I'll bet you're of the age where you don't pay any taxes. Correct me if I'm wrong.
You have just been corrected. I keep telling people like you that I pay income taxes on 85% of my SS checks. That has been around longer than we have even know about Obama so he can't be blamed for that.

I could be the poster boy for people who don't like to have old people marry younger people. My wife won't be on SS for a few more years so, yes we continue to get to pay income taxes.

Also, we pay federal gasoline taxes and all other federal taxes and will soon get to pay the Crap and Tax 15 cents per gallon fuel and the VAT tax. It is so very funny that you people hate old folks but will yowl your heads off when you get to pay the same tax rates as even old people on the added taxes.

Old 04-17-2010, 06:13 PM

14,247 posts, read 18,043,246 times
Check out this table

National Taxpayers Union - Who Pays Income Taxes?

The bottom 50% have been paying a increasingly smaller percent of tax as the years go.

There are lots of myths about tax. One of them is that the "rich" don't pay their fair share. I think the table shows this up for the lie that it is.

Old 04-17-2010, 06:14 PM

1,089 posts, read 661,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Darn, are you saying that it was actually Bush who gave those goodies to all those people? How does Obama top that? Oh yeah he raises the taxes of the regressive kind on them. That is to say the VAT tax and the fuel tax. Those rates will be the same for the poor and the very rich. How fair is that to progs?
Show me where these taxes have been proposed by any Democrat?

Old 04-17-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
I'm not sure what the argument is here. That we should rescind federal income tax credits that make tax burdens easier on people who aren't big income earners?

Which ones?

Or that we should jack up taxes on the bottom five income deciles?

That's a clunker of an argument. I think both major political parties understand that big income tax raises tend to be political losers.
Yep they know that income tax raises are losers for votes but so many fail to see that any kind of indirect tax is seldom seen by the people and they can screw us so thoroughly with them. VAT and fuel taxes are a couple of examples.

It will be fun to see how many people who don't drive a lot think the increased fuel tax is a good deal and all of a sudden they go to the food store and wonder why the prices are so much higher. Trucks haul food, truckers just add their new tax onto their bills, and the stores add the amount onto what we buy. Jeez, it hurts to think how simple people who can't see that are.

Old 04-17-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
47% is more than your guy got last time, friend.
How many of those people will go to the polls this fall? I think maybe 25%.

Old 04-17-2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
Show me where these taxes have been proposed by any Democrat?
Why bother when you would just get out your little liberal spin machine.

Are there more Dems than GOPs on the last formed commission to take us out of the recession? That group is talking about that tax and you should know it.

I guess I can do your research for you so hang on.

Old 04-17-2010, 06:22 PM

2,196 posts, read 2,006,570 times
Quote:
You have just been corrected. I keep telling people like you that I pay income taxes on 85% of my SS checks. That has been around longer than we have even know about Obama so he can't be blamed for that.

I could be the poster boy for people who don't like to have old people marry younger people. My wife won't be on SS for a few more years so, yes we continue to get to pay income taxes.

Also, we pay federal gasoline taxes and all other federal taxes and will soon get to pay the Crap and Tax 15 cents per gallon fuel and the VAT tax. It is so very funny that you people hate old folks but will yowl your heads off when you get to pay the same tax rates as even old people on the added taxes.
roysoldboy !!! .. Keep up the great work Sir !

Your wisdom far surpasses so many of these little "Puddin Headed" buddies here on CDF !

Many of them do so humbly stand "Corrected" from time to time !

Thanks / Old Sgt. Lamar

Old 04-17-2010, 07:40 PM

1,089 posts, read 661,134 times
Quote:
Why bother when you would just get out your little liberal spin machine.

Are there more Dems than GOPs on the last formed commission to take us out of the recession? That group is talking about that tax and you should know it.

I guess I can do your research for you so hang on.
LOL! I won't be holding my breath.

Old 04-17-2010, 08:11 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,379,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Check out this table

National Taxpayers Union - Who Pays Income Taxes?

The bottom 50% have been paying a increasingly smaller percent of tax as the years go.
Could it be, that since those people (the bottom %) are making less then ever and the upper % keep making more and more?

Quote:
There are lots of myths about tax. One of them is that the "rich" don't pay their fair share. I think the table shows this up for the lie that it is.
While the rich may pay more up front, we also get more deductions and credits. Many get back more then most of the lower 80% make. Yup they are hurting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies