Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 05:29 PM

19,859 posts, read 12,147,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
Ok, I'm confused. There's not enough information in this story. I actually had to read it three times just to sync up with the limited information provided. So how is this a right or left issue? I can't even say that its unfair that the father is being asked to pay for this protesters legal fee. What is unfortunate is that the man chose to do something as dispicable as to picket a funeral.
You are right that this story does not give much information. Fred Phelps and his crew have caused so much heartache and it seems they picket and attack most when people are hurting and vulnerable. I really don't think there are many outside of Westboro Baptist that condone their actions.

Fred Phelps - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 05:50 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,569,548 times
No, but some defend their right to do so including the ACLU. It's amazing that this group has managed to get two opposing groups, liberals and conservatives, to both hate them together. Liberals because this group hates gays and conservatives because this group protest military service members' funerals.

Old 03-29-2010, 05:57 PM

1,773 posts, read 1,268,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
The messages from Westboro Baptist Church are sickening, but I think that free speech is more important than protecting the feelings of those who are offended by their messages. If the protesters are in a public place and they're not putting the public in danger, I think they have a right to be there and say whatever they want.
Sure, they have the right to free speech. They also have the right to get their butts kicked. I would look away if I saw one of their group get their just rewards. To dig deeper during an already difficult & horrendous time for these families & friends of these soldiers is beyond reprehensible. These people have no soul...ironic, hey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
No, but some defend their right to do so including the ACLU. It's amazing that this group has managed to get two opposing groups, liberals and conservatives, to both hate them together. Liberals because this group hates gays and conservatives because this group protest military service members' funerals.
I hate these people not just because of their foul hatred of gays but also their classless way of getting their message across. I don't understand how those people haven't been pounded into the ground during one of their picketings.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,930,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Abortion of justice.

Isn't it the libs who espouse the picketing of dead soldiers' funerals?
Wrong! You never heard of these scum?

Westboro Baptist Church Home Page

http://www.godhatesfags.com/schedule.html

Old 03-29-2010, 06:08 PM

11,369 posts, read 16,749,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Outrageous...any of you wingnuts happy with this decision? Care to defend Phelps and these pigs?

You've tried to justify everything else, including the OKC bombing. So, I'm sure this shouldn't be too much of a stretch..

Father Of Dead Marine Ordered To Pay Legal Fees Of Westobro Baptist Church Protesters
Are we in "reverse land"? Conservatives would never defend these people, but liberals would.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:10 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,569,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedjat View Post
Sure, they have the right to free speech. They also have the right to get their butts kicked. I would look away if I saw one of their group get their just rewards. To dig deeper during an already difficult & horrendous time for these families & friends of these soldiers is beyond reprehensible. These people have no soul...ironic, hey?

I hate these people not just because of their foul hatred of gays but also their classless way of getting their message across. I don't understand how those people haven't been pounded into the ground during one of their picketings.
because of police protection and TV news camera which could be used as evidence in a trial.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:11 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,987,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
Ok, I'm confused. There's not enough information in this story. I actually had to read it three times just to sync up with the limited information provided. So how is this a right or left issue? I can't even say that its unfair that the father is being asked to pay for this protesters legal fee. What is unfortunate is that the man chose to do something as dispicable as to picket a funeral.
You'd have to know the history of the inbred Phelps clan and thier ideology of hate to understand. Theirs is a history of more than 25 years of such protests and court based activity.

The Phelps clan's income is generated from frivolus lawsuits and small wins for them, like this appeals court cost ordered re-imbursement, to fund thier activities. The Phelps family members include at least one attorney who does all their legal work. The other than filing fees the Phelp's clan is out no $$.

I hope the family of this fallen Marine can appeal this decision and put their costs right back on the Phelps clan.

These hate mongering Phelps family members and their fake church need to just go away. Perhaps the families of fallen soldiers need to take out orders of protection against the Phelps clan and the Westboro Baptist Church. Let them violate the restraining orders and do some jail time.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:15 PM

37,155 posts, read 42,286,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
The messages from Westboro Baptist Church are sickening, but I think that free speech is more important than protecting the feelings of those who are offended by their messages. If the protesters are in a public place and they're not putting the public in danger, I think they have a right to be there and say whatever they want.
I don't. Seriously. I think we have taken the idea of "free speech" and turned it into something unrecognizable compared to what it was supposed to be. It was never supposd to be a legal excuse to get to run around being annoying or vulgar and seeing how much you can get away with before someone get's hurt or sued.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:24 PM

32,833 posts, read 19,528,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Outrageous...any of you wingnuts happy with this decision? Care to defend Phelps and these pigs?

You've tried to justify everything else, including the OKC bombing. So, I'm sure this shouldn't be too much of a stretch..

Father Of Dead Marine Ordered To Pay Legal Fees Of Westobro Baptist Church Protesters
when you say "wingnuts", you mean left wing nuts correct

since its the left wingers that werre protesting the military funerals...with whats her face

Old 03-29-2010, 06:26 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,554,956 times
Here's the Court's opinion. I don't see anything in there about the plaintiff paying a certain amount for anything. Note that the "information" contained in Huffinton's article comes from the plaintiff's lawyers, not the Court itself. If I've missed it, someone please let me know:

http://pacer.ca4.uscourts.gov/opinion.pdf/081026.P.pdf

Here's the Court's conclusion of the matter:

"Pursuant to the foregoing, the judgment of the district court
is reversed and the various appeal bonds are hereby discharged."

The appeal bonds were posted by Phelps and his church, so when they were discharged, the bond money returned to whomever posted the bond. That could have been Phelps himself or a bonding company. In any case, appeal bonds require 100% collateral.

It may be that Snyder had to post a bond to cover the expenses of the defendents when they appealed, but I can't say if that's the case. Or, maybe he had to pay the bond fee.

Anyhow, the Court's decision is reasonable and backed by sufficient precedent. You may not like Phelps and his Westboro Baptist Church (I don't either), but free speech is free speech and we dare not restrict it because we don't happen to like the message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies