Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 07:55 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,654,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DressageGirl View Post
The first post stated that they don't know what is in the bill because it is so big then all the next posts state all the horror stories about what is going to happen because of the bill.

So which is it?
The parts of the bill that we know about so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2010, 08:02 AM

3,219 posts, read 6,580,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
I think Obama has it all figured out that by 1214 he will already be elected to his 2nd term before we all figure out what was REALLY in the bill!
That is if we haven't all starved to death.
He was a past president "1214"?

He won't get my vote as he didn't the first time.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:04 AM

3,219 posts, read 6,580,292 times
Companies on the most part won't be able to afford this and stay competitive while keeping the jobs at the now former status quo.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:05 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You many not realize it, but you are defending government subsidies in this case, not me. Apparently the companies got addicted to Bush's hand-outs. These hand-outs need to be removed.
Finn, I did a bit of reading on this to understand it better and this part of the 2003 Prescription Drug Modernization Act was a good business move because it was a lower cost to the government to give companies credit than take on millions of new medicare patients at a higher cost.

But the 2003 bill itself I was totally against and the more I read about it the worse it actually was. Right after the bill passed many government people, including one Congressman quit the government and got jobs in the medical industry..government's revolving door

Look under "Criticisms" section of the below link..disgusting what went on:
Medicare Part D - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-27-2010, 08:08 AM

2,847 posts, read 2,516,257 times
all a mute point because the companies will pass the costs along to all of us, great news in this economy

Old 03-27-2010, 08:13 AM

88,983 posts, read 44,793,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Thanks but I was wathing FOX last night and all I could so was roll my eyes at the way the twisted facts and misinformed the public once again about the added cost to caterpillar and ATT and other companies who have in the past received HUGE government benefits to run their HC and retirement plans, and now with the bill they are gone.
Another Obama apologist who doesn't get that the government was SAVING money by incentivizing employer-provided retiree coverage instead of having to pay the FULL COST of those millions of seniors on Medicare.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:15 AM

88,983 posts, read 44,793,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It was pro-rated for each company.
The tax credit only applied to prescription drugs, not their entire retiree healthcare plans.

So it's gone now. Be glad. Just be aware that more retirees may move over to medicare for their prescription drugs due to this.
Which will cost the government MUCH more. Apparently, that's what Obama and the Dems wanted...

Old 03-27-2010, 08:18 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,608,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Yes..in this case the subsidy benefits both the tax payer and the retiree.
At least you admit you are pro-government involvement in businesses.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:19 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Which will cost the government MUCH more. Apparently, that's what Obama and the Dems wanted...
I think there is a bigger picture here..to completely cut health benefits from employment. Get everyone on a government plan over a period of time and then go single payer.

You can't do it all at once though since this is huge..got to get the pieces all lined up first. This is one piece.

The next piece happens in year 3 when these big companies can participate and move their employees to the government pool.

Then the taxpayer becomes fully responsible for any subsidies and the corporation has a small financial obligation to the government via "fees".

Old 03-27-2010, 08:21 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,843,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchuckie View Post
A medical device company in MA has already stated that the new taxes on their products will drive them overseas. A little presumptuos maybe
I heard dont know if its that same on but they make the device that actually saved Clintons life but they have a profit of 9 million a year and this bill will cost them 7 million a year.

They are very worried being able to continue to do research that helps them come up with life saving devices.

I want that company to be able to continue to do life saving research
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies