Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 05:43 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I dunno..paying out $650 vs spending $1200 sounds like good business practice.
Until of course you need to raise the employees salary to pay for their tax, and then raise the cost of your products to then pay for this raising of salaries.. The $650 from the employer very easily becomes $1200 and more after all of the added costs get involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2010, 07:11 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,656,208 times
I think Obama has it all figured out that by 1214 he will already be elected to his 2nd term before we all figure out what was REALLY in the bill!
That is if we haven't all starved to death.

Old 03-27-2010, 07:19 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
!
Watch Fox news and you will know what we have learned.
!
Thanks but I was wathing FOX last night and all I could so was roll my eyes at the way the twisted facts and misinformed the public once again about the added cost to caterpillar and ATT and other companies who have in the past received HUGE government benefits to run their HC and retirement plans, and now with the bill they are gone.

FOX has been repeating to no end that it is not governments duty to run businesses, and now they cry about the government NOT running them?!?! WAAAAAAHHHH?

Old 03-27-2010, 07:21 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Thanks but I was wathing FOX last night and all I could so was roll my eyes at the way the twisted facts and misinformed the public once again about the added cost to caterpillar and ATT and other countries who have in the past received HUGE government benefits to run their HC and retirement plans, and now with the bill they are gone.

FOX has been repeating to no end that it is not governments duty to run businesses, and now they cry about the government NOT running them?!?! WAAAAAAHHHH?
It was pro-rated for each company.
The tax credit only applied to prescription drugs, not their entire retiree healthcare plans.

So it's gone now. Be glad. Just be aware that more retirees may move over to medicare for their prescription drugs due to this.

Old 03-27-2010, 07:28 AM

Quote:
It was pro-rated for each company.
The tax credit only applied to prescription drugs, not their entire retiree healthcare plans.
I was reading about the ATT thing and I found out that their union has more members than all auto union members put together. wow!. And the government has been subsidizing their HC and retirement costs by 1 billion a year. WOW!!!! Yes, I am happy these union subsidies came to an end. Aren't you?

Old 03-27-2010, 07:32 AM

Quote:
I was reading about the ATT thing and I found out that their union has more members than all auto union members put together. wow!. And the government has been subsidizing their HC and retirement costs by 1 billion a year. WOW!!!! Yes, I am happy these union subsidies came to an end. Aren't you?
It was not just the union companies that got this.
The unions made out like bandits with this bill. They made their deals with DC.

If you just look at numbers though..$650 vs $1200 then we didn't make out so well. More like cutting off our nose to spite our face.

But if you are anti-capitalist then yes this is a good move even though it will cost you more in the end.

Old 03-27-2010, 07:44 AM

615 posts, read 1,693,675 times
The first post stated that they don't know what is in the bill because it is so big then all the next posts state all the horror stories about what is going to happen because of the bill.

So which is it?

Old 03-27-2010, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DressageGirl View Post
The first post stated that they don't know what is in the bill because it is so big then all the next posts state all the horror stories about what is going to happen because of the bill.

So which is it?
The bill is available now and has been passed. Several companies have announced they will be taking writeoffs to account for the removal of a tax credit given to them for retiree prescription drugs under the 2003 Drug Modernization Act.

Companies are starting to see what's in this bill.

Soon people will too as the health savings accounts that individuals have are also affected with tax consequences under this bill as well as limits.

Old 03-27-2010, 07:51 AM

Quote:
But if you are anti-capitalist then yes this is a good move even though it will cost you more in the end.
You many not realize it, but you are defending government subsidies in this case, not me. Apparently the companies got addicted to Bush's hand-outs. These hand-outs need to be removed.

Old 03-27-2010, 07:54 AM

Quote:
You many not realize it, but you are defending government subsidies in this case, not me.
Yes..in this case the subsidy benefits both the tax payer and the retiree.
They get lower cost drugs and stay off medicare and we get a lower tax bill.

Not all tax credits are bad. IMO this one wasn't. The companies were getting tax credits which means they didn't get the break up front but when they filed so the government had use of that tax money for a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies