Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 01:10 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times

Advertisements

This is great column and a must read! He tells about how the right is trying to "Swiftboat" Obama's healthcare reform and why we must not allow them to suceed this time!

Nicholas Kristof, The New York Times, column: No need to fear health care reform in U.S. | Grand Forks Herald | Grand Forks, North Dakota
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 01:24 PM

144 posts, read 318,821 times
I rather wait a little longer to get treatment for $49 a month premium than having to pay $500 a month so I can get treated a little quick.

In case of emergency, I'll get treated asap.

Swiftboating John Kerry is easy because not too many americans know what Vietnam war is about but most american know how much we're paying to have health insurance and the fear of rejection and denial due to questionable pre-existing conditions imposed by greedy insurance companies.

Old 06-12-2009, 01:42 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I don't like to read anything that has the word 'swiftboat' in the title. It's tired.

Old 06-12-2009, 01:51 PM

7,931 posts, read 9,154,161 times
What's the problem? Democrats hold a veto proof majority in Congress and hold the Presidency. They can pass whatever bill they want, the Republicans don't have the ability to fight it. Swiftboating shouldn't effect the healthcare plan at all.

The real question, if you look a little deeper, is what will they put in the bill that is so politically unpopular that they fear payback by voters? There is no other logical explanation about why Obama feels the need to be "campaigning" about it.

Old 06-12-2009, 01:54 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
What's the problem? Democrats hold a veto proof majority in Congress and hold the Presidency. They can pass whatever bill they want, the Republicans don't have the ability to fight it. Swiftboating shouldn't effect the healthcare plan at all.

The real question, if you look a little deeper, is what will they put in the bill that is so politically unpopular that they fear payback by voters? There is no other logical explanation about why Obama feels the need to be "campaigning" about it.
Exactly. Just like the stimulus, which HAD to be passed in 48 hours or the nation was doomed to hell, turns out to be a big ass bust so far. So why should any of us think that railroading health care reform through congress will be any different?

Democrats suck.

Old 06-12-2009, 01:57 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,012,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
This is great column and a must read! He tells about how the right is trying to "Swiftboat" Obama's healthcare reform and why we must not allow them to suceed this time!

Nicholas Kristof, The New York Times, column: No need to fear health care reform in U.S. | Grand Forks Herald | Grand Forks, North Dakota

I must spread some reps.. but thank you. Excellent article.

now watch all the lies that come on this thread.. same BS we read everyday on these boards!

Old 06-12-2009, 02:00 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
I must spread some reps.. but thank you. Excellent article.

now watch all the lies that come on this thread.. same BS we read everyday on these boards!
You know . . . I read all 615 pp of Kennedy's legislation, wh/ will be voted on in committee on Thursday, and I have put a lot of effort in analyzing the bill and its various mandates, and for you to insinuate that my outlining what is actually being proposed as far as insurance mandates (and no - it is NOT healthcare reform) will be a bunch of lies - is very insulting.

Why don't you go over to the Great Debates section and actually read the info I have posted there and then decide who the progagandists are and what pack of bullsh$t you are being fed f/ Obama's administration = and the lefties who are their apologists.

You are NOT GETTING universal healthcare or anything that is even similar. I tried to tell you in 2007 and 2008 that what you would get is some form of Medicaid - another insurance product - and you and your friends jumped all over me. So I am not surprised that you are still in denial that your man, Obama, ain't doing a thing for healthcare reform. He is just toying w/ healthcare insurance.

Old 06-12-2009, 02:04 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,783,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I don't like to read anything that has the word 'swiftboat' in the title.
"Swiftboating" is the process of refuting someone's claims by citing facts and bringing in witnesses from past events, to prove him wrong. Drives liberals nuts, because they keep losing the debate once that's done. The best "rebuttal" they can come up with, is smearing the messenger, changing the subject, and calling a LOT of names, in hopes of diverting people's atention from the fact that they haven't addressed the original issue.

If that's being done to the current plan for government-run healthcare, BRAVO. It's just what the doctor ordered.

One of the funnier things about "swiftboating", is that liberals are actually trying to use the term as a perjorative. They were driven into such insane rage when John Kerry was exposed by hundreds of witnesses from the "Swift Boat" group in Vietnam, that they decided that somebody must have cheated or lied or otherwise done something, and that they wouldn't have been exposed if that haven't happened. Then they jumped to the conclusion that everyone else thought so too... a mistake they often make.

Now they use the term as though it refers to unsavory tactics, instead of the factual refutation it actually produces.

These people are a hoot sometimes, with the things they think the public agrees with them on.

Old 06-12-2009, 03:13 PM

20,341 posts, read 19,925,039 times
"Swiftboating" is shorthand for "don't argue, just shut up and go along or we'll trash you and call you names".

Old 06-12-2009, 06:56 PM

37,203 posts, read 19,200,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Exactly. Just like the stimulus, which HAD to be passed in 48 hours or the nation was doomed to hell, turns out to be a big ass bust so far. So why should any of us think that railroading health care reform through congress will be any different?

Democrats suck.
You sure you're not thinking about the TARP money?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies