Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 09:49 AM

23,797 posts, read 24,283,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
B) I "cling" to the truth. It doesnt matter the subject, I hate ALL propaganda but especially rightwing propaganda, because that means someone will profit on someone elses misery (in this case, the entire planet's)
You have it backwards. There is a LOT more money to be made by "green" companies than by oil companies (which is the "someone" I assume you were talking about).

The "truth" you're clinging to has been exposed as a lie, and the real truth is something you can't admit, because you're too invested in the lie. You're in a no-win situation, and you clearly can't deal with that.

As for who's profiting on whose misery, maybe you should consider how the economies of the western countries would be decimated, and how unbelievably rich the dictators in the undeveloped countries would become if all the "green" legislation was pushed through.

But Gore and Sandor would be very, very wealthy, so it's all just hunky-dory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 11:42 AM

1,842 posts, read 1,715,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
So that justifies the continued ignorance of mankind to the effect they have on the Earth?
What I see when I look at global worming is that it started in1730 and James Watt patented the out board condenser for the steam engine in 1769. Think about that. The world started heating up before we started using coal for power? Well they did use coal to power pumps in coal mines but that was the only power application. What coal was used for was making Iron and home heating. These two activities generate a lot of soot. What I believe happened was that the soot painted the snow black and we had warming from albedo change not CO2.
Quote:
Because something accidental happened that shook this planet to the core, we should ignore what puny mankind does on its surface? Just continue the infestation, the drilling, the mountaintop removal, the production of unnatural substances that nature can't handle? Thanks.
What would you rather have an ice age or global warming? Pick one you can't have it the way it is now it will either get hotter or colder.
Quote:
When's your rocket leaving? If you're going to disrepect the natives and not obey the rules, then move elsewhere.
Again what do you want another ice age or global warming. You can chose one or the other. You can't chose to keep the climate that we have as it is unstable.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:06 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,223,506 times
Damn the science that I cannot see. Cannot trust it.

Kinda like when I moved away from Gary Indiana. Took quite awhile to trust being able to breathe the air. I just couldn't see it.

1976 grad from Indiana University. School of Public and Environmental Affairs..

It is called Climate Change...Old enough to know?

Old 03-16-2010, 12:30 PM

13,053 posts, read 13,016,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by specialrequest View Post
You right wingers just go into a sort of mynah bird recitation of the typical rhetoric whenever someone posts a thread about the idea of global warming- you wouldn't listen to any scientist no matter what the scientists said on the matter- it is all just a bunch of lies and conspiracy to the right, they won't even entertain the possibility- it just shows how they are the ones that have a closed mind on the issue- and they like to use the same worn out phrases as arguments- start spouting about El Gordo, brainwashing- and all of the other malarkey- its interesting just how deep the power of Industry is to have so many recruits to protect their desire to pollute the planet- and those that cry out against initiatives to clean up the earth as anti-job, just don't understand that there are a lot of jobs in new technologies that will result from changing our ways of production and consumption-
And people like you who respond and yet take no notice of the discussions where we attempted to discuss the details of the "science" claims, brought up valid discrepancies to the issues where they were only met with condescending drivel not even fit for a teenager street corner discussion.

Yes, come in here and denounce us with ignorance of the issue, make generalized claims of superiority and use straw mans to nicely fit everyone into the position of your liking.

When you sir, wish to discuss the science, by all means, lay it out for us or simply look up my name and the various topics of AGW here so you can respond to the science you claim we do not discuss. Until then, I will simply refer to your postings as yet another ignorant politically driven ranting pushing its agenda.

Good day!

Old 03-16-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimer2 View Post
Damn the science that I cannot see. Cannot trust it.

Kinda like when I moved away from Gary Indiana. Took quite awhile to trust being able to breathe the air. I just couldn't see it.

1976 grad from Indiana University. School of Public and Environmental Affairs..

It is called Climate Change...Old enough to know?
Do you have a point?

Old 03-16-2010, 12:32 PM

41,325 posts, read 45,174,852 times
Heres The Goreacle, getting weather and climate confused again;

Gore Attaches Global Warming as Cause to Last Weekend's Storm in Northeast (http://www.businessandmedia.org/articles/2010/20100316061540.aspx - broken link)

Quote:
Gore, the self-anointed climate change alarmist-in-chief, told supporters on a March 15 conference call that severe weather in certain regions of the country could be attributed to carbon in the atmosphere – including the recent rash of rainy weather.

“[T]he odds have shifted toward much larger downpours,†Gore said. “And we have seen that happen in the Northeast, we’ve seen it happen in the Northwest – in both of those regions are among those that scientists have predicted for a long time would begin to experience much larger downpours.â€
So let's be clear - ANY extreme weather pattern, whether cold or hot, dry or wet, can now be traced back to climate change.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:37 PM

4 posts, read 6,617 times
Have you forgotten that we are just visitors to mother earth and that she is very powerful. Start taking care of mother earth like if it was your child, your home, people really should be less egoistic and way more less materialistic.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terra_77 View Post
Have you forgotten that we are just visitors to mother earth and that she is very powerful. Start taking care of mother earth like if it was your child, your home, people really should be less egoistic and way more less materialistic.
Sorry, I don't believe in the Goddess religion, "Mother earth" serves me, not the other way around.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:27 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,715,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
So let's be clear - ANY extreme weather pattern, whether cold or hot, dry or wet, can now be traced back to climate change.
Yip didn't you know that? Ya it sure does. Forget Elnino

Old 03-16-2010, 06:59 PM

201 posts, read 237,175 times
It's called empirical evidence.

Every argument countered by real scientific work, with links to decades of peer-reviewed scientific research that proves, beyond question, that the theory of AGW is as sound as it is ever going to get. How any adult, having read the science, can outright deny AGW is beyond comprehension.

Arguments from Global Warming Skeptics and what the science really says

(edit: and ignore anyone you see on TV or in the news named Al, Gore, Al Gore, or any variant of the same. His lack of credibility as an AGW communicator is now polarizing and harmful.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies