Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 12:04 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,378,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
The only thing I found lacking were footnotes and references in support of the facts stated.

The objection may be misinformed, but the original post is not misinformation.

The automobile / petroleum / paved roadway transportation system is highly subsidized at taxpayer's expense. By some estimates, over 25% of the national product is involved with it, directly or indirectly. And it is wasteful of fuel, resources, and surface area.

And tapping wind's energy requires a distribution system that would dovetail nicely with a renaissance of electric traction rail.

Transitioning to electric traction rail would reduce petroleum consumption below the current 19 million barrels / day (down from 20 million pre-2009). And if we could get that consumption below domestic production levels (approx. 9 million barrels / day), that would save America a bundle in lost wealth, as well as allow us to disengage from unsavory alliances.
Trackside windmills every 100 feet, from New York to Los Angeles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 05:44 AM

19,054 posts, read 14,348,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Trackside windmills every 100 feet, from New York to Los Angeles?
That's not what was proposed.

Wind farms have a distribution problem - often being in areas that are distant from markets and distant from high tension lines. If electric rail corridors did double duty as power distribution corridors, wind farms may efficiently link into the grid at lower cost.

Old 09-09-2011, 05:52 AM

41,458 posts, read 60,020,951 times
The OP had a good idea but blaming the government for all the problems is absurd. I place the blame on the big banks and investors that abandoned electric mass transit because more sacred growth was available in the auto/oil/roads industry.

Governments only do what their constituents want. As the real constituents are the financial industry the government bought out the electric transit system in the cities and subsidized the investments in autos. The problem is not government but who controls the government. The controllers are big finance.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:06 AM

13,016 posts, read 19,011,499 times
The cost of electrification is high, to be sure. But by allowing better acceleration it can increase capacity. In Russia a mainline was electrified because it cost less than adding another track. It would be better if we could do that here, using American coal instead of imported oil.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The OP had a good idea but blaming the government for all the problems is absurd. I place the blame on the big banks and investors that abandoned electric mass transit because more sacred growth was available in the auto/oil/roads industry.

Governments only do what their constituents want. As the real constituents are the financial industry the government bought out the electric transit system in the cities and subsidized the investments in autos. The problem is not government but who controls the government. The controllers are big finance.
Government is not entirely to blame.
But they share a large portion of it.
Many companies that were profitable from 1890 - 1920, started to go bankrupt. It's no coincidence that streetcar companies were being milked for taxes (income tax, property tax), forced to freeze fares, and obligated to maintain the public rights of way that their tracks were upon at their own expense. Yet, their competitors on the public subsidized roads had a much lesser burden.
"Governments only do what their constituents want."
You got to be kidding us!
When the nation opposed ObamaCare the government rammed it down our throats... and now all the special interests are queuing up to ask for "exemptions" from it...

Old 09-09-2011, 07:39 AM

The "nation" may have opposed, as I do, Obamacare but the insurance companies that wrote the law for thir benefit certainly did not.

Back on topic. I would like to see the roadbeds nationalized and converted to electric power supplied by distributed nuclear power plants with full fuel recycle. The railroad companies could them bid to use the tracks for their business. The rental could pay for the investment and the maintainence.

For what its worth I have a plan and very preliminary design for a very high speed and capacity transport system if anyone is interested. PM me.

Last edited by GregW; 09-09-2011 at 08:50 AM..

Old 09-09-2011, 08:48 AM

13,711 posts, read 20,886,866 times
Quote:

There is something to that (God, did I say that?).

Didn't the oil and tire companies collude to buy up streetcar systems, particularly in Los Angeles, so as to make people more likely to travel in cars?

Old 09-09-2011, 08:53 AM

Apparently they did but I do not remember the source. The only urban railroads that survived were in and under the major city centers. Ironically the City of the Automobile was laid out by the trolly systems.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Back on topic. I would like to see the roadbeds nationalized and converted to electric power supplied by distributed nuclear power plants with full fuel recycle.
I agree with changing the rail rights of way from private to public. That would relieve the common carriers from the tax burden for owning them. And it would eliminate the reason for competing parallel or duplicated tracks.

How 'bout those "Thorium" reactors?
Thorium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-09-2011, 09:23 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,378,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
I agree with changing the rail rights of way from private to public. That would relieve the common carriers from the tax burden for owning them. And it would eliminate the reason for competing parallel or duplicated tracks.

How 'bout those "Thorium" reactors?
Thorium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://pubs.usgs.gov/circ/1336/pdf/C1336.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies