Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 02:49 AM

19,118 posts, read 14,405,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
Didnt Buffett just close the deal on ownership/control of almost all the rail lines in the country just a week or two back? .
BNSF Railway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
On November 3, 2009, Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway announced that it would acquire 77.4% of BNSF for $100 per share in cash and stock, in a deal valued at $44 billion. The company is investing an estimated $34 billion in BNSF and acquiring $10 billion in debt.

----------
I would not be surprised if his company began to electrify the BNSF railway system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 05:14 AM

Chinese High Speed Rail Triumph
Technology Review: China's High-Speed-Rail Revolution
China has begun operating what is, by several measures, the world's fastest rail line: a dedicated 968-kilometer line linking Wuhan, in the heart of central China, to Guangzhou, on the southeastern coast. In trials, the "WuGuang" line trains (locally built variants of Japan's Shinkansen and Germany's InterCity Express high-speed trains) clocked peak speeds of up to 394 kilometers per hour (or 245 miles per hour). They have also recorded an average speed of 312 kph (195 MPH) in nonstop runs four times daily since the WuGuang's December 26 launch, slashing travel time from Wuhan to Guangzhou from 10.5 hours to less than three.

A two-trillion-yuan ($293 billion) plan envisions 16,000 kilometers (9,936 miles) of dedicated high-speed rail lines connecting all of China's major cities by 2020.

High-speed rail is seen as a clean way to boost the expansion of China's transportation system, according to Dierkx. Dedicated lines will help meet rail demand, which is expected to more than triple to five billion passengers per year by 2020. And building these lines is seen as preferable to further expanding reliance on imported oil for automobiles and airplanes. Dierkx says dedicated high-speed rail should also improve freight transportation by easing congestion on conventional rail lines.
====================

In contrast, BHO budgeted 8 billion for America's HSR.
While America imports 70% of its 7 billion barrel per annum petroleum "fix"...
At $50 / barrel, America exports $245 billion per annum.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
While I agree some newer railroads would be nice I think the government needs to finish off the wars they are in, and stop spending money.
Agreed.
In fact, I would prefer that government get entirely out of the way of private enterprise and electric traction rail transportation.

A good example is the confusion over terminology, used by politicians to influence the expenditure of public funds.

2009 December « Rail For The Valley
Previous definitions of transit mode (tram or streetcar, LRT) were based mostly on the vehicle size and weight, but with the growing popularity of the tramtrain, where one vehicle can operate as a streetcar, light rail vehicle and passenger train, the old modal definitions are now of little use. What is more, transit planners and politicians tend to call very expensive light-metro projects, light-rail, in an attempt to confuse the populace, forcing the taxpayer to fund the wrong type of transit mode needed.

The 21st century demands new definitions for streetcar/tram, LRT and light-metro – not based on the vehicle but on the quality of rights-of-ways. Zweisystem offers these definitions for ‘rail‘ transit.

Streetcar or tram: A steel-wheel on steel rail vehicle, powered by electricity (either by overhead wire or third rail), with the exception of deisel LRT, which operates on-street, in mixed traffic, with little or no signal priority at intersections.

LRT: A steel-wheel on steel rail vehicle, powered by electricity (either by overhead wire or third rail), with the exception of diesel LRT, which operates on a reserved rights-of-way with signal priority at intersections. A reserved rights-of-way is an at-grade route that is for the exclusive use of a light rail vehicle and can be as simple as a HOV lane with rails, a railway line, or as complicated as a park-like lawned boulevard.

Light-metro: A steel-wheel on steel rail vehicle, powered by electricity (either by overhead wire or third rail), which operates on a segregated rights-of way, either elevated or subway.

TramTrain: An electric or deisel vehicle that can operate as tram/streetcar, LRT or a passenger train.

It is the TramTrain which has forced a rethink on transit mode, as one vehicle can be a streetcar, a light rail vehicle and/or a commuter train, operating on one route.
In short, if there was zero political intrusion, decisions on the type of rail service would be made on a practical basis... How to make the most profit, serving the most customers at the least cost.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:50 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,988,544 times
Well I agree some Freight / Commuter lines or systems should be Electrified. But the bulk are too low for that to happen. For Electrification to be justifiably there must be around 5-15 freight trains per day or a around 40,000+ in Passengers. Otherwise Diesel is cheaper and easier to use. But i do see alot more Commuter lines & a few systems going Electric by the end of the decade along with a few freight lines.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Well I agree some Freight / Commuter lines or systems should be Electrified. But the bulk are too low for that to happen. For Electrification to be justifiably there must be around 5-15 freight trains per day or a around 40,000+ in Passengers. Otherwise Diesel is cheaper and easier to use. But i do see alot more Commuter lines & a few systems going Electric by the end of the decade along with a few freight lines.
When petroleum becomes too expensive / scarce, diesel will not be cheaper than electric traction rail.

As far as I can see, there is no expectation that demand will go down, or supplies go up. Which means that America's transportation system is hostage to oil.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:10 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,988,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
When petroleum becomes too expensive / scarce, diesel will not be cheaper than electric traction rail.

As far as I can see, there is no expectation that demand will go down, or supplies go up. Which means that America's transportation system is hostage to oil.
Electrified Rail is only good for busy lines , its not something for lightly used lines. You still need Oil to lube the parts of the trains. There is no country in the world that has a entire Electric Rail / Transit system. Even Japan only has Electric lines on busy corridors , much of its rural lines are diesel.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:54 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,849,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Electrified Rail is only good for busy lines , its not something for lightly used lines. You still need Oil to lube the parts of the trains. There is no country in the world that has a entire Electric Rail / Transit system. Even Japan only has Electric lines on busy corridors , much of its rural lines are diesel.
I think you've missed the point. The majority of consumption is happening in busy line areas. Oil will never be completely gone, but the better we live within our means, the better off we're all going to be.

Jet you haven't proven to me that private ownership vs public ownership is best. I've seen abuses happen in both versions. I think we're better off addressing the abuses and because any system we devise is subject to abuse.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:30 PM

13,186 posts, read 15,043,073 times
So is electrifying the rail system more efficient than running the motors on diesel?

Electricity being generated by carbon fuels for the most part, and transmission over long distances lessens it's effectiveness.

I see that trucks use 11 times the what a train does to carry the same amount of freight.

That's an argument for rail but why for running trains on strictly on electricty?

* Disregard, I see this has been answered.

Last edited by padcrasher; 05-11-2010 at 09:40 PM..

Old 05-11-2010, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Jet you haven't proven to me that private ownership vs public ownership is best.
That's a question questioning a question.

Quote:
I've seen abuses happen in both versions. I think we're better off addressing the abuses and because any system we devise is subject to abuse.
One compromise: a public authority owns the rails and land, the common carriers operate the rolling stock. Any one or company can access the rails. That should address the past abuses associated with private ownership - the wasteful competition from parallel routes.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:44 PM

6,104 posts, read 6,027,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
So is electrifying the rail system more efficient than running the motors on diesel?

Electricity being generated by carbon fuels for the most part, and transmission over long distances lessens it's effectiveness.

I see that trucks use 11 times the what a train does to carry the same amount of freight.

That's an argument for rail but why for running trains on strictly on electricty?

* Disregard, I see this has been answered.

Modern Diesel locomotives are hybrides and shoud be called Diesel electric locomotives. The diesel engines drive electric generators that charge batteries which power electric motors that drive the traction wheels. Everything is optimized for the best traction and best diesel performance in generating the electric power. The British once used diesel electric locomotives that had the capability to use diesel or overhead electric power so trains could be run on electrified main trunk railways or on non-electrified branch lines without having to switch locomotives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies