Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 08:43 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,461,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I know they don't have to give a dime, but a mere million seems a little low to me. Surely a supposedly "bustling" country should be able to swing more coin then that.
They are currently amputating children's legs with hack saws and using vodka to sterilize the blades since they ran out of alcohol. I wouldn't complain about anything, much less a million.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 08:44 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,896,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
For someone that is supposedly a dad, that was an incredibly immature and ignorant comment. Feel bad for your kid
WAH!!! Cry me a river. China gives us subpar JUNK and I hope their nation fails. Simple.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:07 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
The total aid package to Haiti that China has announced recently totals 30 million Yuan, about 4.4 million in US $--while the first relief shipment that just arrived contained about 1.9 million US $ in supplies and the Chinese Red Cross has promised another $1 million in aid.

A possible reason for China not contributing more initially could have to do with the fact that China and Haiti have no formal diplomatic relations. This is because Haiti is one of 23 nations in the world that still recognizes Taiwan as the Republic of China--and officially doesn't recognize the People's Republic of China as the sole legitimate government of China. Which is why Taiwan is pledging about $5 million to Haiti.

Quote:
And ---as many people may try to swat me on the head for this---China doesn't like black people.
I can't speak for the prejudices of the Chinese people, but the Chinese government has made a lot of friends in Africa with it's development aid and debt relief. Of course much of the Chinese government's inroads to Africa are aimed at increased trade with the region and securing resources.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/09/wo...a/09china.html

Obviously in the world of international politics, most states are going to act in the best interest of their own state. The Chinese should be giving more to Haiti, especially considering their status as the world's second largest economy...however anything related to Taiwan is still a very sore subject for the PRC. But China will most likely aid Haiti as a way to increase their world standing with a display of soft power.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:09 PM

331 posts, read 498,611 times
China gave WAAAY more than a million. They also got money from us, which means money from China. Remember, when we spend money, it isn't really our money, because WE DON'T HAVE ANY!

Old 01-17-2010, 09:43 PM

354 posts, read 1,281,249 times
China's gesture is welcome, I am sure. The people of Haiti need whatever help they can get to cope with the aftermath of this disaster. My understanding is that theirs is a pathetic state in the best of times. It is too bad the Haitian government is so corrupt, any aid must be provided directly to the people and not pass through the hands of the Haitian kleptocrats.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:01 PM

354 posts, read 1,281,249 times
With regards to China and its internal affairs there is quite a bit of ignorance. While not claiming to be an authority I know outside enterprise zones like Shanghi people are living in what we would think very poor conditions.

I do not know how anyone could say they are producing junk. I do not believe it is true and besides what can you find to compare them with. So many large and small US companies are having their US designed products manufactured there that we do not have much choice but buy them. Sure you can buy cheap knockoffs of popular products and pirated DVD on the streets of Shanghi but if it is junk you don't deserve any better.

I draw that line at food items as they have produced things like tainted pet food exported to the US resulting in deaths. Domestically there was a baby formula scandal resulting in a lot of deaths.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:11 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
it seems low to me too;. but i guess you could say they are also financing our charity work really;since we are borrowing so much.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:50 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,730,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
WAH!!! Cry me a river. China gives us subpar JUNK and I hope their nation fails. Simple.
Classy.

Simple, yes. For the simple-minded. And it is quite clear which of us are that

Old 01-18-2010, 06:55 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,908,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searcher521 View Post
China's gesture is welcome, I am sure. The people of Haiti need whatever help they can get to cope with the aftermath of this disaster. My understanding is that theirs is a pathetic state in the best of times. It is too bad the Haitian government is so corrupt, any aid must be provided directly to the people and not pass through the hands of the Haitian kleptocrats.
that is the most important thing! i wonder if there are any safeguards in place to see that the money gets to the people who need it, not picked off before they ever see any of it. the money is ONLY intended for the people who are the actual victims of the earthquake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies