Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 07:50 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,670,918 times

Advertisements

Yep, HOAs are so great. Where else can you have someone walk onto your yard with a ruler to measure the length of your grass? Where else do you have to get a committee's permission on the color you wish to paint your home? Where else do you have to get a committee's permission on the type of plants you can put in your yard? Where else can they dictate to you what type of vehicle you cannot drive or what you have on your vehicle? Where else can you obey all the rules and still end up in violation because the mother hen of the board changed the rules because she doesn't like you? Where else can a widow in her 80s risk loosing her home (even though she has the title to the home) because of missing some dues payments even though she tried to make up for those missed payments? They were going to evict her and sell her home to pay their legal fees and leave her homeless. Yep, HOAs are fantastic. Only a communist would be willing to give up their personal freedoms to live in an HOA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 09:00 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,905,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
gee wiz. everybody touting solar power and then making you use a 220 volt dryer powered from a coal plant. thats as stupid as a HOA
A dryer powered from a nuclear or hydro plant works just as well.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:03 PM

7,792 posts, read 8,082,302 times
maybe in France. we aint allowed to build those either, sides the clothsline is FREE

Old 12-08-2009, 09:04 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,905,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Yep, HOAs are so great. Where else can you have someone walk onto your yard with a ruler to measure the length of your grass? Where else do you have to get a committee's permission on the color you wish to paint your home? Where else do you have to get a committee's permission on the type of plants you can put in your yard? Where else can they dictate to you what type of vehicle you cannot drive or what you have on your vehicle? Where else can you obey all the rules and still end up in violation because the mother hen of the board changed the rules because she doesn't like you? Where else can a widow in her 80s risk loosing her home (even though she has the title to the home) because of missing some dues payments even though she tried to make up for those missed payments? They were going to evict her and sell her home to pay their legal fees and leave her homeless. Yep, HOAs are fantastic. Only a communist would be willing to give up their personal freedoms to live in an HOA.
I beg to differ. HOAs are wonderful. They do what cities used to do and make people clean up their property, cut their grass and not have junk furniture on the porch. And, like I said people AGREE to abide by the rules when they move in an HOA community. You have to have rules and keep the riff raff out if you want a decent way of life. As for rules changes, the HOA cannot change them without a vote of the membership.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:16 PM

no well KevK you can keep em. i live in a very nice small live and let live town an we can still have our outdoor lines and maybe a broke truck or jeep . no riff raff as you call them. on second thought you may be talking about me. i couldnt imagine paying someone monthly dues to use that same money to prosecute me like they are trying to do to this American Hero

Old 12-08-2009, 11:26 PM

37,218 posts, read 42,542,752 times
He is stupid for moving into a HOA then disregarding the rules. I won't give him a pass because he is old and served in the military. A 21 foot flagpole belongs in front of a business, not a home in a residential neighborhood. I'm sure it look ugly and I would not want to live next to it either.

He can fly a flag lower, like normal people do. It's the POLE they have a problem with. Obama is wrong and so is anyone who thinks this is a good idea. I hope the HOA doesn't back down.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:33 PM

221 posts, read 229,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
HOA' s are a stupid idea.in most you cant even hang the wash
I never knew trailer parks had HOA's!

Old 12-08-2009, 11:36 PM

221 posts, read 229,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I beg to differ. HOAs are wonderful. They do what cities used to do and make people clean up their property, cut their grass and not have junk furniture on the porch. And, like I said people AGREE to abide by the rules when they move in an HOA community. You have to have rules and keep the riff raff out if you want a decent way of life. As for rules changes, the HOA cannot change them without a vote of the membership.
I do agree with you! If you don't like the rules you have options--don't move in---try to change them with a vote---move out!

Old 12-08-2009, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID65 View Post
I never knew trailer parks had HOA's!
Yeah they do. i visited my friends Dad to watch the super bowl in a trailer park,there was a knock on the door. turns out i had to remove my vehicle as it was unsightly. had to park 1/4 mile away.just a built jeep that needed a new paint job. acording to them not me. plus they will cut his lawn and charge him. find one rusty screw they will replace it and charge him. i live in my 130 year old restored Victorian home in a nice town not a trailor park

Old 12-08-2009, 11:57 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,615,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by free_food View Post
I like to give credit where credit is due, and the Obama Administration, among two Democrat Senators, are backing this courageous man in his fight to fly the flag despite his stupid HOA.

Obama spokesman backs war hero in flag flying dispute (http://www.examiner.com/x-31965-Military-Headlines-Examiner%7Ey2009m12d8-Obama-spokesman-backs-war-hero-in-flag-flying-dispute - broken link)

Thank you Mr. President for recognizing this man's courageous acts.

BTW, I am a conservative.

Props.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies