Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 12:52 AM

3,436 posts, read 2,957,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wethrowpie View Post
Really? I thought Obama got elected on how he classified himself.
Just as easily as the 43 presidents before him got elected for being "Anglo-American". Good thing you don't get paid to think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 01:01 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,250,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
I agree, there should be no box. It shouldn't be a question. When I have a choice, I refuse to answer. Why should it matter? It seems to be more important than blood type, education level or age. I recently did a mortgage app over the phone and saw that the loan officer marked me down as White. Why is race needed on a mortgage app?
Do you know why? Because people who get their own box are normally treated differently than someone who also gets their own box. They receive preferential treatment, usually because of some sort of unfair quota system.

Old 11-25-2009, 01:03 AM

3,436 posts, read 2,957,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Do you know why? Because people who get their own box are normally treated differently than someone who also gets their own box. They receive preferential treatment, usually because of some sort of unfair quota system.
This applies to Whites as well. It has already been proven that minorities do not get preferential treatment when it comes to mortgage loans.

Old 11-25-2009, 01:15 AM

829 posts, read 1,283,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
African Americans may ask, that, but I just wish they would stop calling black Americans..African Americans.
I call everyone americans.

I think the point I was making is that

1. The term 'african american' was created in opposition to the traditional dehumanizing 'anglo american' term for blacks. It begins with N and is a 6 letter word.

2. No one, white, black, brown, red or yellow, in America has the ability to define themselves to the public historically. We are defined by what others refer to us as.

Do your grandparents or parents refer to each other always as 'american' or do they say 'irish, german, italian, cajun etc'. 'American' is still just a side-nomenclature to every group. To claim one group is wrong for indulging in that which EVERY OTHER GROUP does is not only stupid, its hypocritical.

Old 11-25-2009, 01:19 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,352,204 times
Demand away.

Old 11-25-2009, 02:14 AM

3,275 posts, read 5,215,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Interesting that you should say this in response to a white person applying for a mortgage.

I just found a bit of morbid irony between the two statements.

Old 11-25-2009, 05:37 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,091,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tindo80 View Post
I call everyone americans.

I think the point I was making is that

1. The term 'african american' was created in opposition to the traditional dehumanizing 'anglo american' term for blacks. It begins with N and is a 6 letter word.

2. No one, white, black, brown, red or yellow, in America has the ability to define themselves to the public historically. We are defined by what others refer to us as.

Do your grandparents or parents refer to each other always as 'american' or do they say 'irish, german, italian, cajun etc'. 'American' is still just a side-nomenclature to every group. To claim one group is wrong for indulging in that which EVERY OTHER GROUP does is not only stupid, its hypocritical.
They consider themselves black americans. Simple as that. I am sorry you don't like the fact that many of us get offended by being called African American, but guess what, you are not the one who gets to decide what the rest of us want to call oursleves.

Old 11-25-2009, 06:06 AM

313 posts, read 407,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
They consider themselves black americans. Simple as that. I am sorry you don't like the fact that many of us get offended by being called African American, but guess what, you are not the one who gets to decide what the rest of us want to call oursleves.
Here here

Old 11-25-2009, 06:41 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,325,701 times
The term Anglo refers to Anglo-Saxon origin, most white Americans are not even of Anglo-Saxon origin. My origin is Portuguese, should I be called Anglo too? LOL
Portuguese, Italians, Greeks are all Latin and although some may argue they are "White", they have absolutely NOTHING to do with Anglo-Saxons. The term Caucasian is even more stupid because it refers to the Caucasus, an area that includes Georgia, Armenia and Azerbaijan(some of these Caucasian people are dark skinned and/or have very dark hair) like the Kardashians(Armenian origin), they look more like Italian or Portuguese than Anglo-Saxons. Anyways, the American concept of race is very stupid.

Old 11-25-2009, 07:42 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,974,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
Just as easily as the 43 presidents before him got elected for being "Anglo-American". Good thing you don't get paid to think.
The 43 Presidents before him didn't have the ability to use their race to get elected, as none of them were facing an opponent of a different race. 2008 was the first Presidential election where race was an issue at all. Black voter registration was up significantly, because many blacks decided that it was important to vote for the first black Presidential candidate, while they hadn't thought it was importnant to vote previously. Many people voted - some for and others against - a candidate based on nothing other than his race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies