Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 04:20 PM

1,680 posts, read 1,792,130 times

Advertisements

My Colleagues and I discuss/debated this subject in great length .

Why isn't there Anglo-American or Euro-American- being many of our families derive from European countries?
Blacks have African American, Spanish-Latin American, etc...

However, I do not quite understand Native American for Indians. They are the true Americans and native meaning person born in specific place; thus Native American appears redundant. Similar to calling them American Americans which seems equally as silly the tag Native Americans.

I digress-why are we missing the Anglo-American checkbox?

Old 01-06-2014, 12:22 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,916,693 times
David Wallechinsky introduced the terms English American and European American but they didn't catch on. I think they make sense.

There is no good name for American Indians. They're not from India, they're not the only native Americans, they never thought of themselves as a single group. The best, admittedly lousy, solution is to call the American Indians.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:25 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post

Why isn't there Anglo-American or Euro-American- being many of our families derive from European countries?

However, I do not quite understand Native American for Indians. They are the true Americans and native meaning person born in specific place; thus Native American appears redundant. Similar to calling them American Americans which seems equally as silly the tag Native Americans.

How much of a real debate was it?

Old 01-06-2014, 01:01 AM

486 posts, read 832,212 times
I'm not Anglo and I'm not from Europe I'm white.

Old 01-06-2014, 02:17 AM

19,020 posts, read 14,198,297 times
I prefer using only two distinctions:
[] Sovereign American and
[] Subject American.

All other distinctions are superfluous.

.................................................. ...............
ALIEN, n. An American sovereign in his probationary state.
- - - - “The Devil’s Dictionary” (1906), by Ambrose Bierce
(download available from gutenberg.org)
.................................................. ...............

Old 01-06-2014, 07:19 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,425,047 times
White isnt even accurate. Irish and Germans are both called white but they arent the same thing. Russians arent Italians. The whole thing is stupid.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:48 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,451,010 times
In Canada we use two terms........First Nations Peoples, or Aboriginals, to refer to those whose ancestors were here before the Vikings came to Canada, in the 9th century, and established a settlement at Lans Aux Meadows, in what is now Newfoundland and Labrador. Five hundred years before Columbus sailed west .

Jim B.

Toronto.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:19 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,891,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
How much of a real debate was it?

If he debated at great length with others he should have plenty of material but i see no debate,
I don't think the topic warrants it.

Anglo-American = white-American.
It is as plain as black-American.

All of the labels are necessary so liberals can pigeon hole us all and turn us against each other.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:35 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,197,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post

Because "Anglo-American" implies British heritage, and a large portion of white Americans do not have ancestry from the British Isles, and even many that do, may not wish to be lumped in with the English (like the Irish and probably some Scots and Welsh, too).

Old 01-06-2014, 09:53 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,224,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
David Wallechinsky introduced the terms English American and European American but they didn't catch on. I think they make sense.

There is no good name for American Indians. They're not from India, they're not the only native Americans, they never thought of themselves as a single group. The best, admittedly lousy, solution is to call the American Indians.
They're not Indians at all, so that part should be removed from any label chosen.

As for the rest I don't see the point in further dividing people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies