Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 05:59 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,088,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
And you clearly do not understand that as a good diplomat, he understands that a little respect and courtesy is a good start in repairing the image of the US being a bunch of arrogant, ignorant bullies. What the hell do they brainwash on Fauxnews these days.

There is respect and then there is groveling. What the hell do they brainwash on the MSNBC comedy show these days?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 06:08 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,948,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I do not know how familiar you are with Eastern cultures. In my culture, (Indian) we bow to people who are elder. Same with Chinese culture (that I am aware of) and Japanese as well.
What do you know of British custom? Is it customary to pat the Queen on the back?

And no, you fail. Do you think the converse would be true if Obama was older? Would the Emperor of Japan have bowed to Obama if Obama was his senior? No.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:11 PM

62 posts, read 80,390 times
Quote:
I guess people just don't realize that in Asian cultures, it is considered BEYOND RUDE to neither bow nor use honorifics. The idea of respect is a big issue.
This is generally true in Japan and China however, within the context of international politics, its significance diminishes drastically. It's rather patronizing not to mention presumptive, to assume that Japanese and Chinese leaders adhere strictly to native traditions when receiving foreign dignitaries or even business contacts. These leaders, just like many of their citizens, are well-traveled and well-versed in Western cultures. As such, they neither demand nor expect Westerners to partake in ancient, Asian traditions such as bowing. Maybe twenty years ago this would not be true, but China and especially Japan, unlike Islamic countries, have become more internationalist in outlooks. Bowing may be a nice gesture to some, but not as important as what people are made to believe. As someone of Japanese and Taiwanese extraction, I think I have a good read on Chinese and Japanese sensibilities.

Last edited by cherry sakura; 11-24-2009 at 06:20 PM..

Old 11-24-2009, 06:11 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,566,362 times
Every time Obama bows, the GOP complains and appears even further right socially. When will you Republicans get it through your head that it your social point of view that is completely destroying your party? The undecided voter would probably much prefer the GOP prove health care is bad and clearly demonstrate and delineate why Obama's plan may lead to economic disaster. Instead, you complain about bowing. Yeah, that'll get ya back the White House in 2012.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:02 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
And you clearly do not understand that as a good diplomat, he understands that a little respect and courtesy is a good start in repairing the image of the US being a bunch of arrogant, ignorant bullies. What the hell do they brainwash on Fauxnews these days.
You are confusing embarrassing behavior by 0bama, and pleasantries and mutual courtesies accepted as normal between world leaders.

Look at photos of numerous heads of state that greeted the Japanese emperor, and Saudi king, and then look at 0bama. You act as if what 0bama behaving the same thing all the other world leaders do when meeting the Japanese Emperor. So quit crapping all over America, just because you are trying to defend 0bama.

Prime Minister Ehud Olmert

King of Morocco

Prime Minister Slovenia

President South Korea

President Kazakhstan

Vladimir Putin

President 0bama

Old 11-24-2009, 07:10 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,312,855 times
Those photos don't prove anything as they could have been taken at any time during, before or just after a deeper bow. Show us a film if you want to make your point.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:12 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tban View Post
What if Obama fist-bumped? Would everyone be happy with that? LOL
And find out........Hu let the Dogs Out

Old 11-24-2009, 07:16 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Those photos don't prove anything as they could have been taken at any time during, before or just after a deeper bow. Show us a film if you want to make your point.
Yes I'm sure the AP and Life Magazine are in on the right wing conspiracy to make 0bama look bad.

They had pictures of Putin shining the emperor's shoes but decided not to publish them.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:40 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,531,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
They are both leaders which makes them equals (ok I admit hussein obama is beneath them). The left wingers can try all they want to excuse hussein obama's behavior but he has shown the world he believes he is beneath them and acts like their servent.
Your so obvious. He won! he is president get over it! he will win again get over it! Go make up another litmus test the real one

1.White

2. Racist

3. Sexist

4. Greedy

5. Ignorant

should I go on

Old 11-24-2009, 08:13 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,029,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
Your so obvious. He won! he is president get over it! he will win again get over it! Go make up another litmus test the real one

1.White

2. Racist

3. Sexist

4. Greedy

5. Ignorant

should I go on
yes please do you left out a lot of names.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies