Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 04:42 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,095,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
Sad, isn't it? Personally, I'd be ashamed if our President did not show respect for the culture of others. After all, how can we ask people to conform to our culture while here... then let loose on the President for following the customs of another country (while in that country, no less). I guess people just don't realize that in Asian cultures, it is considered BEYOND RUDE to neither bow nor use honorifics. The idea of respect is a big issue.

It's hard to think that people are so worked up over showing respect.

You bow to someone ABOVE you. The president of the United States should be on equal footing. We only see hussein obama bowing like a servant. A slight bow of the head may be approiate but hussein obama bows like someone in submission. His low down bow in Japan was such a breach of protical the papers would not even print the picture. They felt shame for hussein obama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 04:45 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,950,738 times
Quote:
In a lot of cultures, bowing is a sign of respect. Is it wrong for the President to adhere to the cultures of other countries?
Respect? Answer this: If bowing is a sign of respect, you would of course expect a bow back to show reciprocation for the respect being shown. Now did Abdullah, Akihito and Jiabao bow back? And if they didn't, what does that demonstrate?

Old 11-24-2009, 04:48 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,095,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossomo View Post
Respect? Answer this: If bowing is a sign of respect, you would of course expect a bow back to show reciprocation for the respect being shown. Now did Abdullah, Akihito and Jiabao bow back? And if they didn't, what does that demonstrate?

The left wingers are not smart enough to figure that out.

Old 11-24-2009, 04:57 PM

37,981 posts, read 22,180,147 times
Quote:
Sad, isn't it? Personally, I'd be ashamed if our President did not show respect for the culture of others. After all, how can we ask people to conform to our culture while here... then let loose on the President for following the customs of another country (while in that country, no less). I guess people just don't realize that in Asian cultures, it is considered BEYOND RUDE to neither bow nor use honorifics. The idea of respect is a big issue.

It's hard to think that people are so worked up over showing respect.
0bama's bow to Japan's royalty was so low as to be embarrassing submissive and a social faux pas. A simple incline of the head was proper, not displaying his backsides to the world. Is it also culturally correct for the president to bow before the Chinese Premier and the Saudi King?

Old 11-24-2009, 05:00 PM

37,981 posts, read 22,180,147 times
Quote:
They considered it beneath them to bow before 0bama, a bow would have been a disgraceful sign of submitting before the leader of a foreign country.

Our country made 0bama our president, he represents our nation. Who made the kings and queens he bows before, simple heredity that's all, they gained a class status from birth that they never needed to work for.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:00 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,580,542 times
It looks like the Chinese Prime Minster was saying something and Obama was bowing down to hear him clearer.

That is what I got. And if he was bowing, I don't mind it. It is custom there.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:03 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,950,738 times
Default say it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
It is custom there.
And did the premiere bow back - as you say, it is custom there? And if the premiere did not bow back as it is their custom, what does that indicate?

Old 11-24-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
And did the premiere bow back - as you say, it is custom there? And if the premiere did not bow back as it is their custom, what does that indicate?
I do not know how familiar you are with Eastern cultures. In my culture, (Indian) we bow to people who are elder. Same with Chinese culture (that I am aware of) and Japanese as well.

If fact, we even touch their feet to show respect. I am sure you are glad he is not touching anyone's feet, huh?

You do not bow to someone who is younger than you. Obama is younger than many of them.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:13 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,092,476 times
Same with the Middle East, the younger populace is always conditioned to give the elders their respect. It's not exactly a two-way street either.

Some of you guys are really grasping for straws.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:15 PM

No more responses? Mossomo? Wapasha? Dcs?

You guys were posting only up until I responded. What happened?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies