Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 11:01 AM

5,190 posts, read 5,050,962 times

Advertisements

Tools.. the lot of them! Disgusting move!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 11:02 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,585,207 times
[quote=padcrasher;11692826] people that shouldn't be having the cards to begin with will no longer get them [quote]

Are you OK with the 35% interest rates?

Exactly where does USURY begin and resonable rates end?

Old 11-19-2009, 11:07 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,411,497 times
Good luck getting consumer credit in 2010!

Old 11-19-2009, 11:07 AM

13,053 posts, read 13,036,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I think the case here, though, isn't about bad debt being passed on to the creditworthy. I think that in this instance we're talking about credit companies ensuring themselves extreme profitability in advance of closer regulation. And the letters I've been getting from credit card companies during the last two months certainly bear that out.
Maybe in some cases, but my bank which I have been a member with for over 25 years and who has always been fair and straight with me basically say that they have to in order to balance out the cost related to the caps that are coming. CC companies make back a lot of their money on fines and penalties associated with rate hikes to customers who fall in bad standing. Take away their ability to compensate based on those who are bad and it pushes the company into a direct loss. So they must compensate across the board to be able to adjust for the fact that they can no longer penalize those who actually deserve it.

I don't like it, but I understand it. The responsible card holders are carrying some of the burden of those who are irresponsible. The only other option as I said is for the CC company to start taking losses. The better business they do, the more benefits they offer the good customers. Some might think it profiting on the poor, but it really is profiting on the irresponsible and personally I have no problems with them doing that. It is one of the downfalls for being irresponsible and there should be a price for such.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:28 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,451,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
And who would that be?
The only way Democrats could pass the bill in time for the holidays would be with the support of the GOP -- all but five of which voted for it initially.
It's always been the Republican Party but more and more, in order to tap in to large donations in order to pay for the increasingly expensive campaigns, it's the Democrats, too.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:31 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,575,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
It's always been the Republican Party but more and more, in order to tap in to large donations in order to pay for the increasingly expensive campaigns, it's the Democrats, too.
Maybe its always been both parties, one just more blantant about it while the other one cowards and lies to your face..

Old 11-19-2009, 11:32 AM

737 posts, read 1,183,604 times
So the conservatives are bowing to the will of big business! What else is new*?

*old

Old 11-19-2009, 11:34 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,411,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityPerson09 View Post
So the conservatives are bowing to the will of big business! What else is new*?

*old
Sort of like AIG bailouts and bonuses for the Dems. Totally with you there!

Old 11-19-2009, 11:37 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,451,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Maybe its always been both parties, one just more blantant about it while the other one cowards and lies to your face..
Nah. Big Business didn't use to bother contributing to Dems. Dems got a lot of money from unions and it simply didn't use to take as much money to stay in office. Times change.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:48 AM

2,404 posts, read 3,970,053 times
Default A few things

#1 - The Credit CARD Act was passed by Congress this summer and takes effect in Feb 2010
#2 - What failed for passing (the GOP freeze) was a measure to prevent credit cards companys from raising rates btwn now and then
#3 - Dodd tried to pass the measure by requesting a vote of unanimous consent, foregoing any floor debate because Dodd and fellow Dems do not want to delay debate on Health Care; five GOP senators objected to this tactic and objected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies