Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 06:28 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,214,988 times

Advertisements

'Gays, I've noticed, take it on the chin more often, and are not as emotionally equipped as, lets say, non gay"

I guess you've never met any lesbians.

Old 05-14-2007, 07:05 PM

30,415 posts, read 52,044,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinhood View Post
One thing I can't figure out is where people are getting that those of us who disagree with homosexuality have a hatred or disrespect for the people. Just because I think it is revolting doesn't mean that I hate people who live this way. Also, I am polite and cordial to those I see. Why do people assume there is hatred just because we have a different opinion. I have relatives that are gay and I see them and fellowship with them on holidays and family functions. The world assumes that we have no knowledge of the gay community just because we disagree with it.
As I've said many times before (on this thread & others), I personally don't care whether or not you LIKE it... but you're losing credibility by using words such as "revolting" or "perverted", in case you don't realize that. Think about it - if somebody walked up to you and said "I think you're revolting, but I don't hate you", wouldn't that still hurt? Nobody's asking you to be okay with homosexuality, or to embrace it... but respect should be given to ALL people, regardless of their sexual orientation, and using such hurtful words is simply not respectful. Does that make sense?

Old 05-14-2007, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
'Gays, I've noticed, take it on the chin more often, and are not as emotionally equipped as, lets say, non gay"

I guess you've never met any lesbians.
LOL... very true! I've had quite a few lesbian friends, and they could certainly handle themselves just fine!

Old 05-14-2007, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiftShoppeGuy View Post
Ah yes.... And ponder I will....

Gays aren't animals, they are human beings, and it's tough to see science comparing certain animals or animal behaviours to that of humans.

There are reasons why we are humans, and animals are not.

To make this sort of comparison to the animal kingdom, would be like saying it's okay to sniff your neighbours butt to find out who they are, or that it's okay to bite the guy you're playing tennis with because it's fun. Why not just run on out and bring down a cow and eat it's raw meat. So apes play with each other, so let's all just be gay.

I don't think animals are doing this because they are gay... humans are the ones that have assigned them the term, and if they could talk, I'm quite certain that there is a perfectly good and logical explaination as to why some animals do these sorts of things, with being gay not one of them.

If gay were the case in the animal kingdom, then all species would be involved and not just the number mentioned.

If perversity wasn't such the mantra of being gay as assigned by our society, folks wouldn't be working so hard in attempting to justify it's presumed rightful place in our society.

It's a shame that science has had to resort to the animal kingdom in the attempt to justify this type of behaviour. They should be looking to the human kingdom for their justification.
I'll say it again, YOU brought up the comparison of humans to animals! While it's true we're all related in some way, I never compared us to them... so basically you're just arguing with yourself at this point. But the fact remains, homosexual behavior exists in the entire animal world, including humans, apes, birds, and anything else that is capable of these acts.

Old 05-14-2007, 07:41 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,965,758 times
Here another story... last week I conducted a book-talk at a local school (where we "plug" a few books, to make reading seem fun), and one happened to be about a gay young man. When I got to the part about him liking boys more than girls,

You and I and the principle and possibly an attorney would have been having a very serious meeting, why would it be happenstance that a gay indivisual would be reading a gay book to my children without my permission or consent.

I've said it before, do not expose MY children to your beliefs, lifestyle, or your life choices. You do whatever you want in your home or life but what arrogance to say I will make choices for someone else's children and expose them to topics of a sexual nature.

Just a simple question, I feed my children, cloth them, nuture and love them, and pass my wife's and my beliefs, morals and standards to them.

By whose authority do you decide to integrate your beliefs and yourself into the lives of MY children.

Old 05-14-2007, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
Here another story... last week I conducted a book-talk at a local school (where we "plug" a few books, to make reading seem fun), and one happened to be about a gay young man. When I got to the part about him liking boys more than girls,

You and I and the principle and possibly an attorney would have been having a very serious meeting, why would it be happenstance that a gay indivisual would be reading a gay book to my children without my permission or consent.

I've said it before, do not expose MY children to your beliefs, lifestyle, or your life choices. You do whatever you want in your home or life but what arrogance to say I will make choices for someone else's children and expose them to topics of a sexual nature.

Just a simple question, I feed my children, cloth them, nuture and love them, and pass my wife's and my beliefs, morals and standards to them.

By whose authority do you decide to integrate your beliefs and yourself into the lives of MY children.
By the authority of the mayor of San Francisco, the public libraries, and the San Francisco Unified School district... thankyouverymuch. These aren't just my beliefs, they're (luckily) the beliefs of most people in this city, who believe in equal representation and respect for all types of people.

If you have a problem with that, send them to a private school... though I went to a private school, and had quite a few openly gay teachers & was exposed to gay-themed materials, even back then. So you can't escape it, LOL! But public schools are supposed to represent ALL people, and this particular book was chosen in collaboration with public school teachers and librarians. Sorry, but it's your job to teach your own children these so-called "values", not ours. It was a perfectly acceptable and age-appropriate book for these grades, and I honestly don't care if it offends your delicate sensibilities. Should I also avoid talking about books that involve different races, genders, mental and physical disabilities, etc., if they don't fit into YOUR ideal of life? Our job as librarians and educators is to introduce kids to all walks of life, which they'll be exposed to in the "outside world" (especially in a city like San Francisco)... or would you rather they continue being ignorant and disrespectful, like the first kid I mentioned? Or did you even bother to read my whole post, where I explained how the second class was more mature and positive?

Btw, I'm not gay (as you assumed), nor did I read the book to them... as I said, it was a brief summary of a number of books, which covered a wide variety of topics. And seeing as this particular school has a strong gay-straight alliance, it's perfectly appropriate to mention this issue in their presence. They were mature enough to handle it, which obviously you are not. And if you had brought in a lawyer because of a gay librarian speaking to their class, you'd be the one facing a lawsuit.

Old 05-14-2007, 07:54 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,214,988 times
Reconmark - why do you have to bring your wife into the post? Why must you shove your 'lifestyle' down our throats?

Old 05-14-2007, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Reconmark - why do you have to bring your wife into the post? Why must you shove your 'lifestyle' down our throats?
I know, it's just sick how heterosexuals always have to mention their bedroom activities in public...

Old 05-14-2007, 08:08 PM

Btw, in thinking about that post further (not sure why I'm bothering), it's not like I "promoted" anything by presenting that book... I don't have time to explain how booktalking works, since it took me years to learn, but we're basically just "plugging" a title. Whether or not you like it, that's totally up to you - just as when I present books on topics of religion, disabilities, ethnic groups, sexual health, travel, and everything else that's available at the library. We just show the title, give a quick plot summary, and say "it's at the library if anyone's interested". If that constitutes pushing a lifestyle, I guess some people are just too easily influenced.

Oh, but I'm sure nobody would be whining if the book I talked about was Christian in theme... huh? We actually do have some of those on our approved booktalk list, so I guess we're "promoting" the Christian lifestyle too - EEK!!

Old 05-14-2007, 08:43 PM

485 posts, read 1,649,942 times
Revulsion is a reaction that comes naturally to the human body. Using that term has nothing to do with credibility. I've never used the term perverted.

Also, I can't believe we as intellegent human beings are being compared to animals and their instincts. Our functioning brains put us a step above animals. These brains are used to make choices. Here is another question, the act of sex was to procreate. How, without the modern science and medicine do homosexuals procreate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies